Water Jacket Cleaning - Chevelle Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tom Mobley

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old May 20th, 18, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Water Jacket Cleaning

Got a 70 396SS that sat for 26 years. Got it running but it starts to overheat when is moderately warm out. If the radiator cap is removed it’s evident why...lots of scale. I would try to save the radiator but it leaks slightly so I have a new Cold Case coming. My question is should I put some type of cleaner in the old radiator and run it for a while in an attempt to clean the water jacket out before putting the new radiator and hoses on? Any suggestions on what to use? Any specific way to get it done?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old May 20th, 18, 10:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

Re: Water Jacket Cleaning

JMHO, you'll probably never get the water jacket of the engine clean without pulling the engine and knocking all the freeze plugs out and running a brush in there while running a hose in the water jacket and scrubbing it all out. probably a good time to replace the water pump as well, good luck!!

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old May 20th, 18, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoP View Post
JMHO, you'll probably never get the water jacket of the engine clean without pulling the engine and knocking all the freeze plugs out and running a brush in there while running a hose in the water jacket and scrubbing it all out. probably a good time to replace the water pump as well, good luck!!
Fair enough, but it’s summer an I would like to drive a bit. My plan is to pull the motor and have it redone this winter, but in the meantime when puting new radiator/hoses/thermostat in is there something I should use to clean it out to get a couple of months out of it before rebuild?

Thanks.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old May 20th, 18, 11:39 PM
Tech Team
Thor

I've heard of using CLR, I have no personal experience with it though.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old May 21st, 18, 1:15 AM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

I would not use that stuff in an engine. at all. just use some ordinary radiator flush.

if you have the engine rebuilt make sure the shop the equipment to bake and blast the block and heads. The water jackets will look like new.
DUTCH MAX HEADWORK likes this.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 18, 3:20 PM
Gold Founding Member

Thousands of years ago, a buddy of mine had a crusted-up 383 Mopar. He discovered acid-in-a-bottle sold for cleaning automobile cooling systems. Hydrochloric? Sulfuric? I don't remember. Flush the coolant, dump the acid into a cold cooling system, run the engine til it gets warm, drain the coolant. Flush again, refill, check for leaks.

The bottle suggested changing hoses and water pump after using it.

I don't imagine OSHA or the EPA approved of this.

Did you SEARCH BEFORE POSTING a new thread?
Did you post in the CORRECT FORUM?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 18, 4:55 PM
TKG
Tech Team
Terry

OLD OLD school (grandfather, father old) remove thermostat. fill with water, add 1/2 cup of tide laundry detergent. Drive for a week, flush, repeat if needed.

TKG
64 Malibu Coupe
283, Fitech
2004r, 4w discs
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 18, 7:23 PM
Gold Member
Freddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKG View Post
OLD OLD school (grandfather, father old) remove thermostat. fill with water, add 1/2 cup of tide laundry detergent. Drive for a week, flush, repeat if needed.
LOL!!!!! I bet it worked!

Freddy
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 18, 7:45 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jonathan

In the diesel world Ford VC-9 is what is used to get crud out. Once used flush continuously with fresh water. Buy about 10-15 gallons of distilled and drain, refill and repeat. The minerals in tap water is hard on an engine.

Two 72 Chevelle Malibus, both 350 2bbls one Placer Gold, one Midnight Bronze

Other cars:
2005 Pontiac Vibe
2005 Ford Excursion
2000 Dodge Durango
2003 Mercedes E320
2-2018 Ford Fusions
2013 Ford Fusion
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old May 24th, 18, 7:08 AM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

distilled water is extremely reactive with iron and aluminum since it's de-ionized. I use some kind of mountain spring water stuff from the grocery store, but not if it's distilled or de-ionized. fastest way to end up with a rusty mess. Don't ask how I know this.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old May 24th, 18, 1:54 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mobley View Post
distilled water is extremely reactive with iron and aluminum since it's de-ionized. I use some kind of mountain spring water stuff from the grocery store, but not if it's distilled or de-ionized. fastest way to end up with a rusty mess. Don't ask how I know this.
You are assuming straight distilled is in the system. Coolant and distilled at a 50/50 mix in a closed system will not cause a rusty block.

quick Google turns up:
Rusting (corrosion) is a redox reaction wherein the iron undergoes oxidation while oxygen reduces. A typical redox reaction will involve transfer of electrons,in this case, from iron to oxygen.

Distilled water can readily absorb oxygen from the atmosphere when compared to normal tap water (since tap water will already have dissolved impurities in it). This will as a result help in rusting.

So yes, rusting of iron can take place in distilled water, provided it is not a closed system.

Two 72 Chevelle Malibus, both 350 2bbls one Placer Gold, one Midnight Bronze

Other cars:
2005 Pontiac Vibe
2005 Ford Excursion
2000 Dodge Durango
2003 Mercedes E320
2-2018 Ford Fusions
2013 Ford Fusion
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old May 24th, 18, 2:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreo C View Post
Got a 70 396SS that sat for 26 years. Got it running but it starts to overheat when is moderately warm out. If the radiator cap is removed itís evident why...lots of scale. I would try to save the radiator but it leaks slightly so I have a new Cold Case coming. My question is should I put some type of cleaner in the old radiator and run it for a while in an attempt to clean the water jacket out before putting the new radiator and hoses on? Any suggestions on what to use? Any specific way to get it done?

Thanks.
My 66 327 was in a similar situation. Sat for 20 years and the aluminum intake reacted with the cast iron heads, forming blockages. I took the manifold off, removed any blockages or anything that could be knocked loose. Have been flushing with water until all of the chunks came out from that process. Now I'm using Blue Devil with the water to take care of any other remnants. I had tried a new radiator thinking that was the problem but once I realized what it was, I took it out. Don't want to plug up a brand new radiator so I put the old one back in.

Read about it here. https://www.chevelles.com/forums/32-h...-327-66-a.html

1966 Malibu 327 200-4r
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old May 24th, 18, 3:37 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

I agree with Leo about it needing scrubbed. That being said think I would start off by installing one of those flushing tees that you add to one of your heater hoses. That,allows you to hook a garden hose up to the cooling system.
Think I would just get it warm then flush it out with the garden hose. If I recall you also leave your radiator cap off. Then seal it up and run some radiator flush through it them give it a good flush with garden hose, with engine running and rad cap off. Perhaps repeat then fresh coolant and water. You can really clean it during the rebuild.:
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old May 24th, 18, 3:41 PM

Phosphoric acid is the type of acid to use.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old May 24th, 18, 4:38 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

Can a radiator repair shop do a proper flush of the whole system with the machine they use ? or is that just a dog & pony show?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 629 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.