Engine General Engine Discussion.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 18, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dustin

Firing order/ spark plug wires

2 part question.....
1) can anyone confirm if my firing order is correct? I know the numbers are correct by my #1 is right next to the battery hook up where 2 normally is. The reason I ask is because my distributor is st a weird angle (maybe off a tooth) and the car runs but is missing every once in a while.

2) the spark plug wires that were on the car when I bought it are very close to the headers and in a couple places melted. I'm trying to figure out if I should replace them with the exact same ones or if there is a better option.

Engine is a 396 out of a 67 Chevelle. I personally like the 90 degree plug ends but I am open to changing them if needed.

Thank you!

1955 Ford Thunderbird
1969 Triumph TR6
1972 Chevelle - 396, 4 Speed
1992 Acura Integra
2002 Yamaha R1
2004 Dodge Ram 1500
2012 Dodge Durango Citadel

Last edited by Tegguy; Mar 17th, 18 at 11:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 18, 12:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

Re: Firing order/ spark plug wires

On the last picture, is that a rubber coated metal band holding the wires together? If so get rid of it and use a plastic spacer and keep the wires from running together. Your could be getting inductance in the wires, creating a misfire condition.

John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Instructions...All I need is the exploded view.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 18, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enganeer View Post
On the last picture, is that a rubber coated metal band holding the wires together? If so get rid of it and use a plastic spacer and keep the wires from running together. Your could be getting inductance in the wires, creating a misfire condition.
It's a standard rubber hose clamp just trying to keep the wires off the header. I have a nice spark plug wire holder that bolts to the valve cover but it's too long and contacts the steering column. I'll remove the clamp and find another option.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

1955 Ford Thunderbird
1969 Triumph TR6
1992 Acura Integra
2002 Yamaha R1
2004 Dodge Ram 1500

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 18, 12:48 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

You can make a wire loom with just plastic zip ties. Google "zip tie spark plug holder" and look at the images for ideas. You want as much of a gap between the wires as you can get, so they are not touching.

Firing order clockwise is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. Trace the wires for each one to confirm.

Yes, your dist cap looks a little off from the normal placement but what really counts is the cap to rotor alignment.
Blown1932 likes this.

John

Instructions...All I need is the exploded view.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 18, 1:06 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enganeer View Post
You can make a wire loom with just plastic zip ties. Google "zip tie spark plug holder" and look at the images for ideas. You want as much of a gap between the wires as you can get, so they are not touching.

Firing order clockwise is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. Trace the wires for each one to confirm.

Yes, your dist cap looks a little off from the normal placement but what really counts is the cap to rotor alignment.
Firing order is correct I'm just not sure were on the cap the #1 wire should fall is there an easy way to determine it other than finding tdc on the #1 piston? Maybe a better question is if all the wires were off and rotated 1 location would it even run?

1955 Ford Thunderbird
1969 Triumph TR6
1992 Acura Integra
2002 Yamaha R1
2004 Dodge Ram 1500
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 18, 1:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

You need the 45 degree ends for your plug wires because those headers are close. No one can look at an internet picture and go over your firing order with you.You'll just need to find # 1 and then finish 18436572.Your best bet is to get some wire dividers and put them on when you replace the wires.If you're not going to replace them right away you can temporarily "repair" the wire ends that melted with some Ultra Grey RTV.It's made of the same stuff the plug ends are made of and once it's dry it will insulate the plug from misfiring but you still would need to replace those wires eventually.
Also anything that's black,you know stuff like elec tape,radiator&vacumm hoses,that clamp you used, those kind of things makes a bad plug insulator as the black coloring is usually made of black carbon which is a great elec conductor.
Steve R likes this.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 18, 1:38 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dustin

Thanks for all the tips i wasnt looking for anyone to verify my firing order more so the #1 plug wire location because I'm not sure if I'm rotated by 1 location or not compared to diagrams. I'll just pull the plug and check the rotor location.

1955 Ford Thunderbird
1969 Triumph TR6
1992 Acura Integra
2002 Yamaha R1
2004 Dodge Ram 1500
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 18, 1:46 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Usually # 1 is just to the left of the wiring square and the last one #2 ends up on the right side of the wiring square.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 18, 1:49 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71350SS View Post
Usually # 1 is just to the left of the wiring square and the last one #2 ends up on the right side of the wiring square.
Thanks that's how I have it setup but saw a diagram earlier with #2 to the left and #7 to the right. I'm going to get a new plug wire set and space them out and see if that makes it run better

1955 Ford Thunderbird
1969 Triumph TR6
1992 Acura Integra
2002 Yamaha R1
2004 Dodge Ram 1500
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 18, 2:49 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Normally #1 and #2 is facing straight forward but it really doesn't matter which hole which wire is in as long as the vacuum advance doesn't hit on anything and the timing is correct.
It doesn't have anything to do with how the car runs.

If you want it o look like original, you can move the distributer a tooth or two but it's really fine the way it is.

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 18, 4:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcus

Garage

Taylor has nice wires with 135 deg boots that fits good. I used both 76032 and 51063 can recomend both together with GM wire looms 12495502.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30C3979B-328C-41F4-8B59-104942B98FF3.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	534545  

Chevelle Malibu ss 64
489 BB with parts from Lewis racing
Alumitech radiator with dual spals
Th 400 Edge 9.5" converter
57 3/4 wide 12 bolt: Eaton posi, Us gear 3.31, Toms KA 33 splines axles
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 18, 4:05 PM
Tech Team

Garage

I use the woven socks on the end of the plug wires.
DUTCH MAX HEADWORK likes this.

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 18, 1:21 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegguy View Post
Thanks that's how I have it setup but saw a diagram earlier with #2 to the left and #7 to the right. I'm going to get a new plug wire set and space them out and see if that makes it run better

To be sure where was #1 before you started replacing the plug wires,that's where it should be now.Moving the plug wire from one terminal to another means you'll have to reset the timing all over again.But if you put all the wires back where they came from you avoid all this muckity-muckity-muck. Best of Luck to you.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 18, 1:34 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

I had clearance between my headers and boots and would still burn them out eventually. Got tired of that and went with ACCEL 45* ceramic boot wires, 3 years now and still going strong. https://smile.amazon.com/ACCEL-9002C...mic+boot+wires These work great with 454 Hooker Super Comp headers.
Still look brand new.

They are available in 90* boot also.
https://smile.amazon.com/ACCEL-9001C...KJCE88RV72EPKB

Start your car in the dark and watch your boots for arch or spark...quick tip.
Another tip...how to get the perfect looking spark wire routing...How-To: Cut and Loom Your Own Spark Plug Wires to the Perfect Length You don't need those fancy $ crimp pliers to do the job.

Here's the woven socks that work well too. $$$

Last edited by DUTCH MAX HEADWORK; Mar 18th, 18 at 2:01 AM.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 18, 6:42 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Dustin

Thank you everyone I did a temp fix on the boot with some RTV and made the zip tie spacer and it runs a lot better. Has back firing at higher RPM's that's either timing or the EFI needing to learn some more.

1955 Ford Thunderbird
1969 Triumph TR6
1992 Acura Integra
2002 Yamaha R1
2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 676 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.