Electric Choke does not move choke plate? - Chevelle Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 18, 4:16 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage
Electric Choke does not move choke plate?

Hey Guys,
I have an electric choke on my Holley 650. When I rotate the black plastic cover to adjust the choke plate, nothing happens. I have been looking for a video or instructions on taking apart the choke, but no luck. Apparently a spring or something inside the choke is not moving the choke plate. Anyone have any ideas on fixing the issue? Maybe a spring inside is loose or fell off. When I hit the throttle, the choke closes all the way and is choking the motor. It will eventually open all the way as it warms up. I did find a PDF from holley, but it is not that clear to me. Thanks

Last edited by cyclerider; Mar 6th, 18 at 4:19 PM. Reason: change wording
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 18, 4:33 PM
Tech Team
Mark

Garage
Re: Electric Choke does not move choke plate?

The choke adjustment must be made when the engine is cold. Holley has a youtube video that will guide you through setting the choke.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 18, 4:38 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

I am familiar with setting the choke. The issue is that when I rotate the choke cap to adjust the choke plate, the choke plate does not move. I need to have it open a little when I start it because otherwise, it is just choking the motor being completely closed.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 18, 4:42 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

maybe this will help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	choke.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	530977  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 18, 4:44 PM
Tech Team
Mark

Garage

Remove the choke cap and make sure the tang is engaged with the lever inside of the housing.
potent rodent likes this.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 18, 4:44 PM
Tech Team
Allan

make sure the plastic cap is attached to the linkage by the internal spring. there is a small loop at end of spring that fits over the linkage arm,
i may be using the wrong part names here, but take it apart , you will see what i mean.
dis connect power first.

Allan
66 SS396 325 HP M20

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 18, 5:10 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

I'll give it a try. Thanks guys
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 18, 6:31 PM
Senior Tech Team
Gary

Open the throttle with one hand while you rotate the choke cap with the other. The fast idle cam is engaged when its cold preventing the choke from closing untill you open the throttle a little. There's two reasons you have to hit the throttle when you have a cold engine before you start. One is to set the choke like I've just explained and the other reason is to get a shot of fuel from the accel pump
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 18, 7:29 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

If you take the black cap off you will notice the spring in the cap has a round end on it. This round end must capture the flat blade that moves the choke plate inside the round of the spring so no matter which way you turn the cap the choke should open or close. You should adjust the choke when the engine is dead cold. Hold the throttle plates open by the accelerator linkage and turn the black cap so the choke plate just closes against the carb housing. Tighten the cap in that position and see if it works. When you first start the car it should open the choke plate about 1/8" and open gradually from there as the spring inside heats up.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 18, 8:00 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

Great information. I greatly appreciate it. Tomorrow is "give it a try" day. Thanks
HKalin likes this.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 18, 11:16 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Louis

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclerider View Post
Hey Guys,
I have an electric choke on my Holley 650. When I rotate the black plastic cover to adjust the choke plate, nothing happens. I have been looking for a video or instructions on taking apart the choke, but no luck. Apparently a spring or something inside the choke is not moving the choke plate. Anyone have any ideas on fixing the issue? Maybe a spring inside is loose or fell off. When I hit the throttle, the choke closes all the way and is choking the motor. It will eventually open all the way as it warms up. I did find a PDF from holley, but it is not that clear to me. Thanks
The choke spring has nothing to do in opening the choke plate when you start the motor. It's manifold vacuum that open the choke plate when you start the motor. There is port next to the choke housing, do not plug it. If you do the piston in the choke housing will not work, as a result the choke plate will not open. That piston in the housing forces the choke plate to open to about 1/4" to let the air go in and bring the motor at a high idle. Once the coil is heated by an electric heater the choke slowly open up fully. tap the gas pedal and the idle will drop down. Make sure the vacuum passage to the piston is not blocked.
HKalin likes this.

Louis
69 Chevelle Malibu Sports Coupe Change to SS
11:1 TR406sbc/AFR227/Comp cam 280HFT/3500 RPM Stall conv./TH 350/12 bolt 410 Gears

Original owner

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 18, 3:08 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

I pulled off the black electric choke cap with the spring inside. It was not connected to the arm that sticks out. I put them back together. One problem. I had to move the choke plate to the full open position, (normal running position) and then pull the little spring tab toward the center of the choke almost a full inch. Now it seems awful stiff. I then turned the cap all the way to the right (to lean it out) and to have it set right, I had to move past the last notch in the choke cap. I then pulled it back to the last notch. I didn't start it up yet as the weather here is crappy. I hope the choke pulls off all the way after it is warmed up. Any thoughts? Maybe I need another black choke cap. Can the spring in the choke cap be moved? Thanks

Last edited by cyclerider; Mar 7th, 18 at 3:28 PM.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 18, 3:34 PM
Senior Tech Team

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 18, 3:39 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

Thanks, but I have seen this video several times. Unfortunately, it still does not answer my questions. Thanks
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 18, 4:02 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

Well, the sun just came out. I started up the car. It started up great. Choke came on, slowly went off, idle came up to 1600 rmp's. Choke plate opened up all the way and then I kicked it down and now idling at 850 rmp's. For now, it looks like all is good. Thanks much for all the help. Greatly appreciated.
HKalin likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 686 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.