• 1 Post By HandOverFist
  • 1 Post By Steve R

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 17, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Roland

Send a message via AIM to forever young
Headers - to be or not to be

My '70 SS looks really nice except for the rusty headers. Before installing the motor I used 700* stove heat paint and it burned off. The headers are in reasonable shape except for a pinhole leak in the 1/4" thick flange section on #2 cylinder. I am going to remove and weld in the pin hole, maybe. The next question is: do I weld / repair and send out for rust coating or buy a new set with rust coating already on them. Is it worth the cost of powder coating used headers. The Headers are Hookers. They fit perfect and I can reach everything as is. The new powder coated are $500.00+.
Thanks, Roland

"some people spend their entire life trying to make a difference, US MARINES don't have that problem". Ronald Reagan Semper Fi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 17, 10:51 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rich

Garage
Re: Headers - to be or not to be

Maybe just terminology, but powdercoat will not last on headers. I assume you really mean a thermal coating.
Steve R likes this.

Rich

1967 El Camino (White)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1965 El Camino (Sold that junk)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 17, 10:51 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

I would not personally send a used set out for coating. The Hedman Elites are $400.00- $500.00, fit good and are coated. Plus you can sell your old headers. Then you have a brand new set for the coat of coating your old headers.
On another note there is not a paint on this planet that I am are of that will not burn off on headers.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 17, 10:59 AM
Senior Tech Team

Try to find someone locally that coats headers, many powder coaters do. Bring it to them and ask their opinion as to the condition of the headers. If you buy new headers you will need to factor in the cost of modifying your current exhaust.

Steve R
70SSTHUMPER likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 17, 1:02 PM
Senior Tech Team
Kevin

Buy the new ceramic coated headers. Mine are 6 years old and still look pretty new. The coating will dull over time but won't rust. The challenge with used headers is that you can't blast away the rust inside which in my opinion is just inviting problems down the road.

"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space" - Jim Whittaker

Ermine White/Red 1967 Chevelle Malibu
Forged Mike Lewis 383 rotating assembly
AFR Eliminator 195's
Lunati Voodoo 60122 roller cam
Inglese 50mm 8 stack injection
FAST XFI Street
SC&C Stage II Plus suspension
Hotchkis/Hellwig sway bars
Tremec TKO 600
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 17, 1:27 PM
Tech Team
Logan

Garage

That really depends on what the amount of rust is. As someone who blasts and coats headers in a ceramic coating, I've seen it all. A majority of headers that I do are normally for vintage race vehicles or current drag vehicles that are very custom. Try visiting your local ceramic coating company for headers and ask about their process. The proper way would be to burn or bake any old contaminants, media blast them with a high grade media, and then coat from there. If the cost of the coating over weighs the cost of buying a new set then I'd suggest the new set.

64 Chevelle SS
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 17, 1:27 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rich

Garage

If you can find/afford them, stainless is the only way to go long term.

Rich

1967 El Camino (White)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1965 El Camino (Sold that junk)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 17, 1:28 PM
Tech Team
Logan

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy67 View Post
Buy the new ceramic coated headers. Mine are 6 years old and still look pretty new. The coating will dull over time but won't rust. The challenge with used headers is that you can't blast away the rust inside which in my opinion is just inviting problems down the road.
Depending on the coating you may be able to use Mother's or Maguire's mag and aluminum polish to shine them back up.

64 Chevelle SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 928 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.