$2600.00 to spend - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 17, 3:24 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Re: $2600.00 to spend

Keep American foundries running. We may need them in a time of crisis.

'66 SS Chevelle

bored small big block
performance to be determined.
91 octane special.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 17, 5:21 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott Foxwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstraub View Post
Gary the RHS heads have been coming from China for many years now sir. They haven't been made in Australia in over a decade. You got a bunch of heads to take apart and remove roller valve train from.
I'll second this and I have the paperwork to prove it if there's any doubt. The Pro Maxx casting is as good as any American casting as far as quality of material and workmanship. Definitely not the norm.

FOXWELL MOTORSPORTS
Straub Technologies

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 17, 5:52 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Darren

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcomp View Post
I'll second this and I have the paperwork to prove it if there's any doubt. The Pro Maxx casting is as good as any American casting as far as quality of material and workmanship. Definitely not the norm.
Scott, What is the exhaust port location (how much raised)?

Darren
1971 Chevelle
CFM Ported Stage 5 Brodix Race-Rites 310cc
10.5 scr
Ultradyne Solid Roller 256/264 .660/.660 108 lsa
CFM Ported Victor Jr / Pro Systems Venom VX 1050
T-56 Magnum 6 Speed, DFX
12 Bolt TrueTrac, 4.56 gear 33 spline Moser axles
30x12.5 ET Street Radial
525+++ rwhp
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 17, 9:00 AM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

Where’s the popcorn?
Thor454 likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Peterson
The motivation that drives the commission of the worst human atrocities is an inevitable social consequence of the refusal of the self conscience individual to make the sacrifices appropriate to establishing a harmonious life and their consequent degeneration into a kind of murderous and resentment filled rage propagating endlessly through its variations in society until everything comes to an end.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 17, 9:29 AM
Senior Tech Team
Scott Foxwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71454chevelle View Post
scott, what is the exhaust port location (how much raised)?
Raised 3/8"

FOXWELL MOTORSPORTS
Straub Technologies

post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 17, 4:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcus

Garage

Quote:
Gary the RHS heads have been coming from China for many years now sir. They haven't been made in Australia in over a decade. You got a bunch of heads to take apart and remove roller valve train from.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcomp View Post
Contacted RHS/Comp cams a while back when a friend was looking for heads and they claimed heads was cast in Michigan US and not china?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	874B8BB4-F907-498C-A9E5-9305031F6E62.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	493426  
mr 4 speed likes this.

Chevelle Malibu ss 64
489 BB with parts from Lewis racing
Alumitech radiator with dual spals
Th 400 Edge 9.5" converter
57 3/4” wide 12 bolt: Eaton posi, Us gear 3.31, Toms KA 33 splines axles
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 17, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu ss 64 View Post
Contacted RHS/Comp cams a while back when a friend was looking for heads and they claimed heads was cast in Michigan US and not china?
They are machined in MI by Uni-Bore. Scott has paperwork here that is documentation from the Chinese mfg. It was left in the box on a set of BBC RHS heads. I also have contacts at Comp and they have confirmed all of the stuff is Chinese origin. It has been for many years.

Chris Straub
Mfg Performance Parts

Why is it we never have time or money to do it the right way in the beginning but we always have time and money to do it over again?
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 17, 4:53 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Marcus

Garage

Quote:
They are machined in MI by Uni-Bore. Scott has paperwork here that is documentation from the Chinese mfg. It was left in the box on a set of BBC RHS heads. I also have contacts at Comp and they have confirmed all of the stuff is Chinese origin. It has been for many years.
Ok, Thanks for clearing that up. Glad my friend went with afr instead especially after this information.

Chevelle Malibu ss 64
489 BB with parts from Lewis racing
Alumitech radiator with dual spals
Th 400 Edge 9.5" converter
57 3/4” wide 12 bolt: Eaton posi, Us gear 3.31, Toms KA 33 splines axles
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 17, 10:57 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
So if they are both ching chang meow castings which provides the best ba
ng for the buck?
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 17, 8:57 AM
Senior Tech Team
Scott Foxwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8WHITE View Post
ng for the buck?
After my personal experiences with both heads, I'd go with the ProMaxx. The castings from both heads are fine. Both very good quality castings. I personally don't like the port design on the RHS heads but for me, the problem was in the machining. The RHS heads were so bad that I had to return them. Fixing them would have meant pulling all the seats out and replacing them. Getting a new set was a real PITA and then, the new set they sent weren't all that much better. So far we haven't had those sorts of issues with the Pro Maxx stuff. Ports and chambers in the Pro Maxx stuff are good design and perform well.

FOXWELL MOTORSPORTS
Straub Technologies

post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 17, 9:01 AM
Senior Tech Team
Scott Foxwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8WHITE View Post
ng for the buck?
sorry...double tap...

FOXWELL MOTORSPORTS
Straub Technologies

post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 17, 9:09 AM
Senior Tech Team
Scott Foxwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu ss 64 View Post
Like Chris said, I have a bill of lading that was in the box with the heads that RHS replaced for me. They came direct from Royal Oak Boring in MI, and the bill clearly says "BB Chevy China Casting."

FOXWELL MOTORSPORTS
Straub Technologies

post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 17, 1:48 PM
Tech Team
Robert

Quote:
The ProMax 317 once we prep them they flow what the AFR 315 does for about a grand cheaper.
Are you able to match the AFR 265 heads for less? I know those run around $2,300
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 17, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattroa View Post
Are you able to match the AFR 265 heads for less? I know those run around $2,300
If you asking does ProMaxx have an oval port no. On cost on the Promaxx, the board doesn't like prices quoted. You can email me and i will send you a quote.

Chris Straub
Mfg Performance Parts

Why is it we never have time or money to do it the right way in the beginning but we always have time and money to do it over again?
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 17, 12:45 AM
Senior Tech Team

Garage

650 Hp from a 540 with a roller cam? Find a set of used "GM" Edelbrocks. I definitely wouldnt use any local machine shops - let those guys starve (you need a master BBC guru to assist for this). When you you need a crank polished or a set of rods resized 5 years from now and its cheaper to buy a new set than to have them shipped across the county and back, make sure you buy them from whomever the current internet master is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 806 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.