15" tires not as easy as I thought...Coker BFG thoughts? - Chevelle Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 17, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brian

Garage
15" tires not as easy as I thought...Coker BFG thoughts?

Been on a tire hunt for a week for a 66 SS...don't race, not wanting to change the stance...just want to keep it simple, at least what I thought. Have found that the majority of 15" tires fit rims up to 7.5" width...and mine are 8" rallies.
Have looked at all the recommendations on here and found tires are going to be $150 plus each...unless you go the Korean route...half the price, same ratings...but Korean.
Thinking now of spending the extra $75-80 to go with the Coker BFG Silvertown Radials...$233 each from Summit, Coker and all the others. Have always liked the red lines...but thought I would not pay the price. Now that I see the price is not that much more than what I need it has become an option. Anyone running them? They going to be a good tire for cruising and occasionally hitting the highway for out of town shows? Tires on the car are 30 years old...assuming anything now will be an upgrade, but do want a decent riding tire if I spend. Thoughts from anyone who has used them would be appreciated...thanks!
Also...if a good option are there times to buy? Know most have specials from time to time, but never paid attention to tires until now.

Thanks!

1966 SS 396 4 speed Chevelle

1968 Chevelle Malibu
Family owned since new
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 17, 12:24 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

Re: 15" tires not as easy as I thought...Coker BFG thoughts?

hmmm........I have 8 inch rallies on the back of my 66, and I'm running BFG 255/70R15's. That works for me.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 17, 1:03 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterwivell View Post
hmmm........I have 8 inch rallies on the back of my 66, and I'm running BFG 255/70R15's. That works for me.
And that is a $170-190 tire these days...so wanting to know if I would be ok going the extra $50 for the redlines...just not sure on their performance.

1968 Chevelle Malibu
Family owned since new

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 17, 2:04 PM
Senior Tech Team
AKA Zombietroll

You can find 245 60s for a decent price.

You tube video laying down final paint
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 17, 2:39 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to davewho1

I put Cooper Cobra GTs on my 15x8 Rallys a few years ago.

Seems like a decent tire.
hydro462 and BBE66SS like this.

David

1966 Fremont 11A, SS396/L35 coupe - 1 of 66,843

MM/763; A01; A39; A51; D55; M35; N40; U14; U63

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 17, 5:19 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

I was just at my tire shop. I asked about availability got BFG TA radials, 255/70R15 and 225/70R15. Neither has been discontinued, and they have them in their warehouse.
BBE66SS likes this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 17, 5:41 PM
Tech Team
Wayne

I work in the building next to Cokertire in Chattanooga, Tn. I bought a set of BFG T/A P255 60 15's for my 1980 corvette two years ago. Last summer I started noticing the white letters were turning yellow. I tried to clean the letters but nothing would turn them back white. I got the car out this spring and the white letters were almost a beige color. During lunch I went over to Coker's to see if they knew anything about this problem. The salesman said he had heard of this problem with BFG and offered me a set of tires at no cost. Not only did they give me a free set of replacement tires they reimbursed me for the cost to have them mounted. Apparently BFG had a problem with the T/A letters turning yellow only with certain sizes. I still can't believe how great Cokertire was about fixing the problem. So I recommend Coker's if you have a choice.
70CHEVELLE396 and BBE66SS like this.

Last edited by Ga69abody; Aug 5th, 17 at 11:34 PM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 17, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga69abody View Post
I work in the building next to Cokertire in Chattanooga, Tn. I bought a set of BFG T/A P255 60 15's for my 1980 corvette two years ago. Last summer I started noticing the white letters were turning yellow. I tried to clean the letters but nothing would turn them back white. I got the car out this spring and the white letters were almost a beige color. During lunch I went over to Coker's to see if they knew anything about this problem. The salesman said he had heard of this problem with BFG and offered me a set of tires at no cost. Not only did they give me a free set of replacement tires they reimbursed me for the cost to have they mounted. Apparently BFG had a problem with the T/A letters turning yellow only with certain sizes. I still can't believe how great Cokertire was about fixing the problem. So I recommend Coker's if you have a choice.
Thanks...went with the Coker BFG Silvertown Radial Redlines. Were $75 more a tire than the standard options...but have always liked the look. Can't wait till Wednesday...my biggest shipment yet. Delivery guy knows the place well.

1968 Chevelle Malibu
Family owned since new
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 17, 10:18 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBE66SS View Post
Been on a tire hunt for a week for a 66 SS...don't race, not wanting to change the stance...just want to keep it simple, at least what I thought. Have found that the majority of 15" tires fit rims up to 7.5" width...and mine are 8" rallies.
Have looked at all the recommendations on here and found tires are going to be $150 plus each...unless you go the Korean route...half the price, same ratings...but Korean.
Thinking now of spending the extra $75-80 to go with the Coker BFG Silvertown Radials...$233 each from Summit, Coker and all the others. Have always liked the red lines...but thought I would not pay the price. Now that I see the price is not that much more than what I need it has become an option. Anyone running them? They going to be a good tire for cruising and occasionally hitting the highway for out of town shows? Tires on the car are 30 years old...assuming anything now will be an upgrade, but do want a decent riding tire if I spend. Thoughts from anyone who has used them would be appreciated...thanks!
Also...if a good option are there times to buy? Know most have specials from time to time, but never paid attention to tires until now.

Thanks!
BFGoodrich specs indicate 235/70/15 and 245/60/15 both have 8" rims within the "recommended" rim width range... This is for the T/A radials...

Redlines are nice, but I wanted a wider tire than offered by Coker ( they seem to mostly offer "stock" or narrow sizes), so I went with Diamond Back Classics...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 17, 10:12 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Cooper or there MasterCraft brand would of been perfect.

If you have issues, don't let Coker talk you into tubes or tell you it's your car..
BBE66SS likes this.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 17, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966_L78 View Post
BFGoodrich specs indicate 235/70/15 and 245/60/15 both have 8" rims within the "recommended" rim width range... This is for the T/A radials...

Redlines are nice, but I wanted a wider tire than offered by Coker ( they seem to mostly offer "stock" or narrow sizes), so I went with Diamond Back Classics...
Was thinking of going a little wider...car has 225 75 15s now...which is a really tall narrow looking tire...got a little wider and shorter with the redline radials. They do not have many options there for size...but I have always wanted a car with that look. Can cross that off the list. If I don't like them I will burn them off and go the regular BFGs.
hydro462 likes this.

1968 Chevelle Malibu
Family owned since new
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 17, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro462 View Post
Cooper or there MasterCraft brand would of been perfect.

If you have issues, don't let Coker talk you into tubes or tell you it's your car..
Yeah...ordered them through Summit...were the same price everywhere but went through them due to their customer service.
70CHEVELLE396 likes this.

1968 Chevelle Malibu
Family owned since new
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 17, 10:46 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Summit has always been fair with me.. I hope they work out.. There are a lot of people who have had luck with them too.. They do look nice!!!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 17, 2:02 PM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBE66SS View Post
... Tires on the car are 30 years old..
Holy moley! That's the definition of Maypop tires right there. Glad you got those dangerous things off and something safer on there. Enjoy the ride!
davewho1 and BBE66SS like this.

TXCR13
1966 Chevelle 300 2dr Sedan
385, Flat Top Hypers, Performer RPM, S.M.I. 750 Q-Jet, 72cc Dart Platinum 200cc runners, U.D. Harold 223/233 112 LSA Cam, 700-R4, PS, Manual Disc Brakes, AC, Hedman headers with 2-1/2" exhaust.

1946 Studebaker Coupe- street gasser finally underway!

Last edited by davewho1; Aug 7th, 17 at 2:36 PM. Reason: fixed quote
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 17, 3:13 PM
Team Member
Dave

I just put a set of Cooper Cobras 245-60-15 on some 8" wheels, perfect fit from Discount Tire for $500 out the door. I've used them on several cars in the past with great success. I really don't know how long they last mileage-wise, they age out on me before they are very worn! After working in dealerships, I never trust any tire over 6 years regardless. I've seen too many failures after that time frame.

It is a rare man who can count his own blessings and not mistake them for personal achievements.
"SSuper Dave" Palmer
A.C.E.S. #1483 TC #32 Gold
1970 El Camino Custom, 350/300, needs paint, rust free Arizona car
1968 Caprice coupe, Ash Gold/Ivy Gold, 327/300hp, rally wheels, disc brakes, buckets, console, am/fm and tach dash, tilt and a/c.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 923 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.