Wheel Wobble (Video) - Page 3 - Chevelle Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 44 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 20, 9:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Randy

Re: Wheel Wobble (Video)

I bought a used 69 Camaro many years ago, and some rube had shortened the driveshaft and welded the yokes about 45 degrees out from each other. Yeah, it vibrated.

Randy
TC # 5401
67 Project SS Clone

Owning a Chevelle project is like having a giant-size piggy bank that you keep pouring money into....but you can't get it back out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 20, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

I have a couple more videos and some run-out measurements I'll post tomorrow. I noticed that there isn't much wobble on the axle flange, but it is there with the brake drum.

I measured the back rim of the drum and the low spot was .065 back from 0 and the high spot .010. That's a change of .075 which is basically an inch.

I bought these from either Of Reilly's or AutoZone about 10 years ago. I don't see any balancing weight on the drums.

Could this be the cause of my problems?

Mike Smith
72 Chevelle, LS 6.0 LQ9 4l80e
post #33 of 44 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 20, 11:01 PM
Steve

Another question to you. You said it happened before you did the drive shaft, do you remember exactly when it started, and what kind of work was done at that time? A lot of times a symptom occurs right after some kind of repair or modification. Two other areas to think of since you said theres no vibes in the steering wheel, but through the floor and body. I would consider the shock bushings or maybe pinion bearing may be out of tolerance (any chance this arose after your track pass? The other thing would be to make sure the wheel bearing preload was not excessive.

post #34 of 44 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 20, 11:08 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
David

Garage

Did you check your rear control arm bushings?
Uppers and lowers - 8 bushings total.
Stevieb54 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

66 Malibu......back to life with a 427 BB & 4 speed
post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 20, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAIDER SS View Post
Did you check your rear control arm bushings?
Uppers and lowers - 8 bushings total.
Yeah they are all newer UMI stuff.

Mike Smith
post #36 of 44 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 20, 6:38 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty454 View Post
I have a couple more videos and some run-out measurements I'll post tomorrow. I noticed that there isn't much wobble on the axle flange, but it is there with the brake drum.

I measured the back rim of the drum and the low spot was .065 back from 0 and the high spot .010. That's a change of .075 which is basically an inch.

I bought these from either Of Reilly's or AutoZone about 10 years ago. I don't see any balancing weight on the drums.

Could this be the cause of my problems?
The drum is close to the axle's center line so for it to be the cause of the out of balance the weight would have to be really heavy. Whereas a tire is further from the axle's center line so any out of balance with a tire is much more noticeable.
In other words the tire brings a much longer lever to the game than the drum does. The drum could still be a balance problem even though it's doubtful.Try swapping the drums from left to right.If you were closer to NY I'd lend you an extra set of rear drums I have.
You could put any wheels/tires on there that have a 4 3/4 bolt circle so maybe borrow a set of tires and take a test drive.
You could also have a tire shop with a road force tire balancer check the tires for an out of round condition too.A road force balancer will hylight the tires high/heavy spot and the rims heavy spot and then the shop can reposition the tire on the rim so it has the best balnce possible.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
"I would rather have questions I can't answer than have answers I can't question" :R.Feynman
post #37 of 44 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 20, 7:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71350SS View Post
The drum is close to the axle's center line so for it to be the cause of the out of balance the weight would have to be really heavy. Whereas a tire is further from the axle's center line so any out of balance with a tire is much more noticeable.
In other words the tire brings a much longer lever to the game than the drum does. The drum could still be a balance problem even though it's doubtful.Try swapping the drums from left to right.If you were closer to NY I'd lend you an extra set of rear drums I have.
You could put any wheels/tires on there that have a 4 3/4 bolt circle so maybe borrow a set of tires and take a test drive.
You could also have a tire shop with a road force tire balancer check the tires for an out of round condition too.A road force balancer will hylight the tires high/heavy spot and the rims heavy spot and then the shop can reposition the tire on the rim so it has the best balnce possible.
Makes sense on the drums. I think its unlikely as well, but its a possiblity. Ive read on here that other people have had problems with unbalanced drums. I ordered some new AC Delco balanced drums from Rock Auto anyway. We'll see what happens.

I bought the wheels and tires in November and had them mounted with the road force balancer at Discount Tire.

Mike Smith
post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 20, 7:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevieb54 View Post
Another question to you. You said it happened before you did the drive shaft, do you remember exactly when it started, and what kind of work was done at that time? A lot of times a symptom occurs right after some kind of repair or modification. Two other areas to think of since you said theres no vibes in the steering wheel, but through the floor and body. I would consider the shock bushings or maybe pinion bearing may be out of tolerance (any chance this arose after your track pass? The other thing would be to make sure the wheel bearing preload was not excessive.
The problem is I built this car and didnt drive it hardly at all for years. Now Im finally really getting it on the road and doing some serious driving and all the bugs are starting to appear. I definitely learned my lesson on that.

The car vibrated all the way to the track, so it wasnt the race. It vibrated before the new wheels and tires so I dont think its that either.

Ill check on the shock bushings, pinion bearing is suspect. What does a pinion bearing vibration feel like?

Mike Smith
post #39 of 44 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 20, 7:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Heres some vids:

Mike Smith
post #40 of 44 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 20, 1:31 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Quote:
Makes sense on the drums. I think its unlikely as well, but its a possiblity. Ive read on here that other people have had problems with unbalanced drums. I ordered some new AC Delco balanced drums from Rock Auto anyway. We'll see what happens.

I bought the wheels and tires in November and had them mounted with the road force balancer at Discount Tire.
November 2019 ? Take the car or the tires back and explain to them about your problem.I think they will be more than happy to recheck their work,and recheck the balance of the tires.The usual warrantee is 6 months or 6000miles.You're under both.
If a FNG had done the work on your tires theres a good chance that it wasn't done right.
As for that axle run-out video you really need a dial indicator at a turned by hand slow speed to measure that run-out.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"I would rather have questions I can't answer than have answers I can't question" :R.Feynman
post #41 of 44 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 20, 8:16 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
November 2019 ? Take the car or the tires back and explain to them about your problem.I think they will be more than happy to recheck their work,and recheck the balance of the tires.The usual warrantee is 6 months or 6000miles.You're under both.
If a FNG had done the work on your tires theres a good chance that it wasn't done right.
As for that axle run-out video you really need a dial indicator at a turned by hand slow speed to measure that run-out.
Uhhhmmmm......I'm afraid to ask what a "FNG" is

70 Chevelle SS clone (632 CI powered).
post #42 of 44 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 20, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Ok ill do that.

I did check the runout on the axle flange and it appears to be in spec with only maybe a couple thousands of runout measuring from the top of the flange and not the face of it. I couldnt get a good measurement of the face of the flange with the studs being in the way.

What is the allowed runout of the axles themselves? I got .025 runout pushing the axles in and pulling them out.

Mike Smith
post #43 of 44 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 20, 12:40 PM
Senior Tech Team

had that issue with some pacer rallyes and M/T runout was horrible on both. Fortunately summit took care of it
Well the tires anyway....pacer wheels werent even round!

Lots of tire shops will slap a bunch of weights on and say its in spec or balanced but if its out side/side its still going to give you that weird harmonic

Welds were better but still out quite a bit. Keep us posted

Quote:
Freedom is not caring what others think of you
post #44 of 44 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 20, 2:32 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Quote:
Ok ill do that.

I did check the runout on the axle flange and it appears to be in spec with only maybe a couple thousands of runout measuring from the top of the flange and not the face of it. I couldnt get a good measurement of the face of the flange with the studs being in the way.

What is the allowed runout of the axles themselves? I got .025 runout pushing the axles in and pulling them out.
I'm not sure of those kind of specs off the top of my head but it's not uncommon to see 1/32 by eye at the axle flange. As far as the in and out axle spec if that is too much I think there are different sizes of "C" clips available to take up that play.I'm sure the specs must be listed somewhere ? Though I doubt .025 is past the allowable spec.
BUT if any movement at the axle is up and down then the axle bearing is worn out and needs that side bearing replaced maybe with axle replacement too and you won't know about the axle till you take it apart and see.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in