70 Chevelle ss rims, which to buy??? - Chevelle Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

3Likes
  • 2 Post By NickeyChevelle
  • 1 Post By CRV CRW

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 19, 7:10 PM Thread Starter

70 Chevelle ss rims, which to buy???

I am looking to buy a set of ss rims for my 70 Chevelle. I have to go with the 15 inch rims because the disc brake conversion kit so they would most likely be the 15 x 7. Question is, has anyone bought theses rims from OPG, ground up or any other company? I see that they all sell them but donít know which company to go with. Ground upís kit is a little over $100 cheaper than OPGís. These will be the steel rims not the aluminum ones.. any feedback would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 19, 7:52 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage
Re: 70 Chevelle ss rims, which to buy???

If you order them do so over the phone, and ask if the wheels are in stock or drop shipped -- GU has a habit of loosing back orders. Also be sure to factor in shipping costs in your cost calculations.

The SS Mag has never been my favorite because I don't like the trim ring effect, however IF I were going to buy some I'd get these 15 inch Magnum 500 wheels with chrome rims from Wheel Vintiques -- using the SS Center Caps, of course.

https://www.wheelvintiques.com/oldsmobile-ssi.html

Our You Tube Vids:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 19, 1:51 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

I bought a set of stock 1970--SS Wheels ( 7 X 14" ) from wheel vintiques. Some things I did not like. The wheels were powder coated the correct ARGENT Silver on Both the front and back. ( the back should be DOVE GRAY ). The front color that should be the bluish color to go with the Argent, Was NOT the blue type ( blue/gray -Charcoal) color, They were painted BLACK.
A friend of mine from MD.,, told me to scrape the black color on the front with my thumb nail, GEE, Guess what? My thumb nail removed the BLACK paint??? from the VERY SMOOTH powdered coated surface.
I would guess when you paint over a powdered coated surface, You " MAY " have to Prep, the surface and NOT just squirt some black paint from walmart on them. And, YES, I used my thumb on all four wheels.
Needless to say the wheels went back to Calif. Then I restored a set of O.E.M.- 70 SS wheels from my stash. When I buy a set of BRAND NEW-69-70-SS wheels that are EXPENSIVE,,, I sure as He!! do not want to spend time & money to make them correct.
Never want to go through that again!...............
Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 19, 12:19 PM
Tech Team
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70SS! View Post
I am looking to buy a set of ss rims for my 70 Chevelle. I have to go with the 15 inch rims because the disc brake conversion kit so they would most likely be the 15 x 7. Question is, has anyone bought theses rims from OPG, ground up or any other company? I see that they all sell them but donít know which company to go with. Ground upís kit is a little over $100 cheaper than OPGís. These will be the steel rims not the aluminum ones.. any feedback would be appreciated.
Just a heads up on the 1970 Chevelle SS reproduction wheels regardless if you go with 14" or 15". When you receive the new wheels check them carefully before you mount the tires to be sure they run true side to side and for wheel hop. I have a set of repo 14" wheels that came with on my 70 Chevelle SS. I had a bad vibration issue 65 mph and higher that drove me nuts trying to determine the source. I checked the front end alignment, drive shaft balance, proper driveshaft and pinion angles etc. I mounted the repo rims minus the tires on a tire balance machine and low and behold all the rims were out of round, side to side and wheel hop. They were probably made in china. I had the original 70 SS wheels and checked them for trueness and mounted them on the car. The vibration was totally eliminated. I would do a serious search on the internet and look for NOS or used wheels before I would purchase reproduction.

Jay

1970 Chevelle SS L-34
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 19, 12:36 PM
Tech Team
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinls5 View Post
I bought a set of stock 1970--SS Wheels ( 7 X 14" ) from wheel vintiques. Some things I did not like. The wheels were powder coated the correct ARGENT Silver on Both the front and back. ( the back should be DOVE GRAY ). The front color that should be the bluish color to go with the Argent, Was NOT the blue type ( blue/gray -Charcoal) color, They were painted BLACK.
A friend of mine from MD.,, told me to scrape the black color on the front with my thumb nail, GEE, Guess what? My thumb nail removed the BLACK paint??? from the VERY SMOOTH powdered coated surface.
I would guess when you paint over a powdered coated surface, You " MAY " have to Prep, the surface and NOT just squirt some black paint from walmart on them. And, YES, I used my thumb on all four wheels.
Needless to say the wheels went back to Calif. Then I restored a set of O.E.M.- 70 SS wheels from my stash. When I buy a set of BRAND NEW-69-70-SS wheels that are EXPENSIVE,,, I sure as He!! do not want to spend time & money to make them correct.
Never want to go through that again!...............
Bob
Does anyone know the OEM correct paint code for the dove grey? I having my original 70 SS wheels media blasted and painted. I have the correct OEM paint codes for the argent silver and black but not the OEM correct paint code for the dove grey.

Jay

1970 Chevelle SS L-34
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 19, 8:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer......... How ever, I " DO" agree on the Argent Silver and the Dove Gray ( In Canada its GREY) EH!. I do not agree on the front triangle spaces painted Black. The color on both of my 70 SS wheels are " Insert Gray". I also have some stock O.E.M. 70 SS " unrestored" wheels and they have Gray inserts.
My Gray paint came from James Hinshaw, 71 & 72 use a different shade of Gray.
Bob
P.S. You can spell my name frontwords or backwords and it is still " BOB ". I have a Guitar for sale " No strings attached".....

1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:47 AM
Tech Team

I'm looking into this as well and seems like ground up has the best prices on a ss wheel kit. Even once shipping is factored in. They sell them in kit form and it saves a good amount of money that way. They will also sell the kit with staggered sizes upon request...so they say. Havnt ordered yet. They do an aluminum version which i think looks cool with the ss caps, but it may turn your SS into a GS.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:50 AM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.

Garage

These

https://www.jegs.com/p/Wheel-Vintiqu...63259/10002/-1

and also buy the SS center Caps

JEGs will do sets also so check with them

67 Chevelle Malibu SS Cdn
Born 283 / PG / A51
468/TH400 2,500 stall/ S60 3.70 Gs
Prev Best on M/T ET S/S #3454 street Tires/Dress 2018/05/20
60' = 1.664
1/8 = 7.532 et / 91 mph
1/4 = 11.814 et / 115 mph
NEW Best with 3,500+ Stall TC 2019/09/08
60' = 1.547
1/8 = 7.311 et / 91.76 mph
1/4 = 11.595 et / 114.28 mph

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:44 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Gary

Another thing to look out for is the trim rings. The Wheel Vintiques also sell the incorrect outer trim rings with these, as well as black instead of gray issue. I believe the Chevelle outer trim rings have a ridge, they are not rounded off like the Corvette rally wheels trim rings. Chevelle valve stem opening is oval, Camaro has round stem holes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0205.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	610198  
DUKE 69 likes this.

1970 Chevelle 454 M22 4.10
1970 El Camino 350 TH350
2014 Corvette Convertible LT1 Auto
2016 2500HD Duramax Allison
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:59 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

I got the complete wheels, not just the rims.

I think these are the ones I got in 15 X 7 size for my 69
https://www.wheelvintiques.com/wheel...vy-ss-396.html

I put my 14" 69 wheels on my 70

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/att...2&d=1534336712

Last edited by Dean; Yesterday at 1:16 PM.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Today, 12:06 PM
Tech Team
Stan

Just ordered and waiting on delivery 15x8 SS wheels from Ground Up. Also ordered their trim rings for 8" wheels but I suspect they are the the 7" ones, but I'll be surprised if they are actually wider. Will update upon delivery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in