• 2 Post By NickeyChevelle
  • 2 Post By novadude
  • 1 Post By 1966_L78

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 19, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage
Stock rally wheel question

On stock 14 X 7 wheels what is the tallest and widest tire you can get away without rubbing or any other issues on a 70 Chevelle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 19, 1:12 PM
Tech Team
Rick

Re: Stock rally wheel question

For me, this begs a different question first. Do you ever intend to upgrade your brakes to disks? Most rotors for disks won't fit inside a 14 inch wheel.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 19, 2:19 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

If you look at his garage, he already has the correct wheels for a 70 SS that work with disc brakes. He probably already has disc brakes in the front.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 19, 6:24 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleguy View Post
On stock 14 X 7 wheels what is the tallest and widest tire you can get away without rubbing or any other issues on a 70 Chevelle?
As a service to you I'll just add that the term "Rally Wheel" denotes the slotted steel wheel that was introduced in 1968 and is painted grey.

A 1970 Chevelle SS396 / SS454 would have come with the "SS Mag Wheel" (AKA: Magnum 500 Wheel), like Cindy is wearing in your Garage photo. A 7 inch rim width isn't going to get a very wide tire. If you wanted to go to a 15x8 wheel you'd easily get a 28" tall P275/60R15 on the rim. 15s look better anyway.
Attached Images

Clint44 and Kirk's67SS like this.

Our You Tube Vids:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 19, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

My bad on the wheel description. The car has factory disc up front and I believe has the SS Mag Wheels. If I knew how to post the cars photo I would. Sorry.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 19, 9:22 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

The two biggest 14" tires that I know of are the one that Diamond Back sells HR78-14 and BF Goodrich 245/60-14....

I prefer the FW Rally wheel but that only comes in 15 x 7 with 4.25" back space..

For the best performance, you want the tread width and wheel width to be the same or the wheel slightly bigger..
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 19, 9:49 AM
Senior Tech Team

225/70R14s are the best bet for stock 14x7 wheels. 245/60R14 is the only other commonly available option, and though they are wider, they look too short (IMO).
hydro462 and Pioneer4x4 like this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 19, 11:15 AM
Tech Team
Eddie

Garage

It's not about what you can fit on a 14" wheel, it's about what you can find for 14" wheel since 14" tires are almost extinct.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 19, 11:36 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

195/75 are easy to find, close to stock size, 205/75 decent, then 225/70 which is what I would recommend are limited, but available. Anything other than those, prepare to spend a lot. I got 6 205/75-14 Douglas (I think) USA made (Goodyear plant?) for/from Walmart on sale for $35 each! A couple hundred bucks for 6 tires, 5 mounted, 4 balanced out the door. Nice safe new tires that are, well, tires. Nothing special, and I think they have a lifetime of the owner warranty. (well, maybe 40K miles, but I'll never put that many on it now, it took 20+ years to get the last 30K on it)

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 19, 10:04 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Diamond Back is the only place that sells big 14" tires.. They have a HR78-14 radial.. Its a great looking tire. I saw a set of these tires on a 65 Pontiac 2+2 with Pontiac 8 lug wheels. It looked superb!!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 19, 2:44 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by B52bombardier1 View Post
...Do you ever intend to upgrade your brakes to disks? Most rotors for disks won't fit inside a 14 inch wheel.
Okay, so we know th OP is talking about SS wheels, but since the title mentions "Rally wheel", and people may find this thread in the future from a search, I thought I'd clarify;

ALL Chevelles from 1964-1970 used 14" wheel, only, and many of those (67-70) had disc brakes. 1971 and 1972 non-SS Chevelles with disc also used 14" wheels. Many companies (Right Stuff, Summit racing, CPP, etc) sell "clones" of the factory 69-72 A-body disc kits.

IIRC, Rally wheels were required for 1967 disc brake equipped Chevelles (and 1968?). And most "non-disc brake" 14" wheels won't clear factory disc setups.

Sure, many "modern" brake setups will use larger rotors that may not fit 14" wheels (and many not even 15" wheels). But someone wanting to run 14" wheels probably isn't thinking of huge disc brake rotors anyway...
Kirk's67SS likes this.

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in