Wheels & Tires What fits what?

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 19, 3:55 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage
9.5"X17" rear wheel

68 malibu, 3" exh. What's the widest drag radial I can run on 9.5X17" with 5.5" B.S. wheel and at least 28" tall?, my rear end also has a 1/4" shim in the 2 series posi with 3.73 gears that makes pass side stick out an extra 1/4", I've found M&H makes a 275/50 R17" 28" tall that I'm thinking will work but is there something better, 295 maybe? TIA, rick

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 19, 4:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage
Re: 9.5"X17" rear wheel

What happened to my rims and tires?

Mike

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

AACA Senior Grand National
Good Guys Muscle Car of the Year Finalist

Eckler's Winternationals Platinum 1000 pts
2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional 1000 Point Award

NPD Choice Award All GM Oktoberfest
6 times Concours d'Elegance Best in Class

MCC Platinum & 2 times People's Choice Award & Carolina Chevelle Club Best in Show

2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional "Dean Call Award"
2015 OPGI Original Restored Award

MCACN Gold
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 19, 4:44 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

Hi Mike, same rims & tires but cant get no traction! lol, 40-45 going on 275 on ramp and gave it some gas to speed up to merge and started getting sideways love the wheels just need something on the rear a little stickier

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 19, 4:46 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelrick View Post
Hi Mike, same rims & tires but cant get no traction! lol, 40-45 going on 275 on ramp and gave it some gas to speed up to merge and started getting sideways love the wheels just need something on the rear a little stickier
Got it.

Don't do what I did with my Nomad.

Glad to see you're driving it.
shovelrick likes this.

Mike

My

MCC Platinum & 2 times People's Choice Award & Carolina Chevelle Club Best in Show

MCACN Gold
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 19, 2:27 AM
Tech Team
Ben

What tires are you running? I have the nitto nt555 g2s and I can break them loose at will but still reasonable traction if I ease into it. The make a dot drag radial, nt555r.

No car yet; currently looking for 66-69 project/driver.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 19, 9:35 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

What I have now are Fuzion 255/50 R17" I'm looking at M&H 275/50 R17" but I'm also going to be putting a 489 in the car so I don't know if those are enough, I do realize more traction weak links break but if they're weak they need replaced with better anyway RV T-400 bolt in yoke, 3200 freakshow conv., truck DS cut to fit and bal., 12 bolt from a 68SS 3.73 posi. 33 spline axels and 1/2" studs.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 19, 4:36 PM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.

Garage

Rick the Stickiest Tire I have found on the Street for my 67 with 13" Wide Wheel Wells and a 468 ci & 550 hpish
is a M/T ET Street S/S #3454 295 /55/15 R2 Compound
Tread Width = 10.6"
Section Width = 12.2"
Diameter = 27.7"

Did you check out the same type of M/T ET Street S/S # 3472 in a 305/45/17 R2 Compound
https://www.jegs.com/i/Mickey-Thomps.../3472/10002/-1
Tread Width = 10.6"
Section Width = 11.9"
Diameter = 27.9"

I do not know how the R2 Compound compares to the M&H ROD 19's Rubber Compound
but the M/T # 3472 is a Wider Tread and Wider Side Wall

If you need help with calculating what will fit in each side of your Car's Rear Wheel Wells
give us the Measurements and I will cal

67 Chevelle Malibu SS Cdn
Born 283 / PG / A51
468/TH400 2,500 stall/ S60 3.70 Gs
Prev Best on M/T ET S/S #3454 street Tires/Dress 2018/05/20
60' = 1.664
1/8 = 7.532 et / 91 mph
1/4 = 11.814 et / 115 mph
NEW Best with 3,500+ Stall TC 2019/09/08
60' = 1.547
1/8 = 7.311 et / 91.76 mph
1/4 = 11.595 et / 114.28 mph

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 19, 5:33 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Rick, try looking up some different tires and sizes on this site >

.................................tiresize.com..... ............................

>there's some good information about tires on there.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 19, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

Thanks guys I'll look into those suggestions, been out of town but thanks again
The M/T ET street SS in 305/45 r 17" look like the ones I need

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 19, 12:09 PM
Tech Team
Ben

Can you fit the 305 in the back? With the pypes Exhaust. I have the pypes 3 and 255/50s and I have barely any clearance between pipe and tire when the suspension starts compressing. Already close to the wheel well lip too but that can be rolled for additional clearance.

No car yet; currently looking for 66-69 project/driver.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 19, 12:21 AM
Clint

A 9.5" width wheel is a little too narrow, for a 305 width tire. Anything over a 285 is pushing it.

Clint Hooper

Sold
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 19, 7:51 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint44 View Post
A 9.5" width wheel is a little too narrow, for a 305 width tire. Anything over a 285 is pushing it.
That's what I thought too but M/T web site lists a 10" wheel as the recommended size but 9.5"-11.5" are acceptable.

Dave
USAF Retired (1968-1988)
UTC Aerospace Systems, Space Systems International - Retired (1989-2014)
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 19, 8:24 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

I barely have an inch of clearance from the exhaust, I guess the M&H 275/50r17" will be close, there's a muffler shop local that the owner has a nice orange 70SS, I think I'll first take the car to him and see if he can get me more clearance so might still be able to get something fairly wide back there.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 19, 8:34 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelrick View Post
I barely have an inch of clearance from the exhaust, I guess the M&H 275/50r17" will be close, there's a muffler shop local that the owner has a nice orange 70SS, I think I'll first take the car to him and see if he can get me more clearance so might still be able to get something fairly wide back there.
Might be easier to slow down a little around those ramps.

Keep outta that bay.

shovelrick likes this.

Mike

My

MCACN Gold
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 19, 6:21 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

Mike?...Slow Down?...Slow Down?...LOL
69SHEVL likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in