Team Chevelle banner

70 Looks Wimpy From The Back

2K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Cam 
#1 ·
First time I ever saw my 70 from the back while someone else was driving it. Looks like a whale with pencil legs. Its restored to stock so changing the 14" rally wheels or Firestone wide ovals is not an option. Just something I have to live with I guess. But I heard the 1st Gen Camaro guys use 1" wheel spacers at the back to mask the problem somewhat. Anybody try this?

#2 ·
IMO, quality spacers should be fine, especially with a stock setup (and narrow, 14" wheels and tires)... For something as wide as you are looking at (1"), I'd be looking for hub-centric... Of course, the spacers will only push the tires outward, they will still look like skinny "pencil legs".

But really, have you considered a set of repro/aftermarket "stock" 15" wheels (maybe 15X7 front and 15X8 rear) with wider tires? Still retain most of the "stock" look (and most people aren't going to notice that it isn't correct), but add some meat, and its easy to swap back the stock 14" wheels when you feel like it or want to be judged as stock...

#3 ·
People hardly ever see the car from that specific angle. How long have you owned it before you noticed it? It’s not a big deal, especially on a restored car, small tires are expected. No offense, but the issue is in your perception, I’d bet it won’t register with 99% of the people that see the car.

Steve R

#4 ·
Using some spacers will only push your "skinny" wheels out a little but will not solve the "pencil legs" look. Get yourself a set of stock-looking aftermarket wheels but in 18" dia, and maybe 8" wide…along with wider tires. That should make a big improvement and keep your 14" wheels in storage if you ever decide to sell the car then you'll be able to put them back on before selling.

#13 ·
If you feel that presenting skinny tires to the world is too wimpy, try filling the wheel wells with tire smoke. It may draw attention away from the skinny tires and wipe the smirk off of people's faces (though a traffic cop might get really serious...).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.