3Likes
  • 1 Post By 1966_L78
  • 1 Post By Clint44
  • 1 Post By Clint44

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 19, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Wheels for 66-67 with C5 brakes.

Hi All,

I have been searching the archives for hours and haven't really come up with what to do for my 1966. I am looking for what people are running for 17-18" wheels with their 66-67 body style and C5 brakes (non-hybrid). I would love to know what wheels, tire and wheel sizes, back-spacing etc, for front and back on your 64-67. I really wish these cars had bigger wheel wells, I guess you have to work with what you have though.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Tarl; Sep 1st, 19 at 11:22 PM. Reason: added car year
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 19, 2:11 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Re: Wheels for 66-67 with C5 brakes.

Tough one to research. I do think that Tom Farrington and Deb are running that setup on their wagon. You can talk to Tobin at Kore3 and he might be able to point you in the right direction as well.

Build thread-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Album -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 19, 2:45 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to davewho1

Welcome to Team Chevelle!

I'm moving this to Wheels and Tires - maybe you'll get more action there.

David

1966 Fremont 11A, SS396/L35 coupe - 1 of 66,843

MM/763; A01; A39; A51; D55; M35; N40; U14; U63

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 19, 6:52 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarl View Post
Hi All,

I have been searching the archives for hours and haven't really come up with what to do for my 1966. I am looking for what people are running for 17-18" wheels with their 66-67 body style and C5 brakes (non-hybrid). I would love to know what wheels, tire and wheel sizes, back-spacing etc, for front and back on your 64-67. I really wish these cars had bigger wheel wells, I guess you have to work with what you have though.

Thanks in advance!
On my '66 convertible back in 2006/2007, I ran Vintage Wheels Works V40's … 17X9.5 with Nitto 275/40/17 555r "drag radials" all around...

Front had the C5 brakes (from Tobin at Kore3). Tobin used my "drum hubs" and turned them down and installed new studs (not sure how the dimensions differ from the billet hubs). I ran 6.0" of Backspacing in the front and I also ran a thin (1/8"?) spacer, because the weld bead where the barrel and center of the wheel attach just rubbed the caliper (and not even all around)... While there was evidence of the tires rubbing the swaybar (paint was "polished" off), driveability was fine...

On the rear, I ran 5.5" BS with a stock '66 12-bolt and stock drum brakes... 6.0" BS worked in the rear, but IMO, the wheels/tires where too far inside the wheel lip...

stock, uncut/un-rolled wheel lips...

Here it is with Hotchkis 1" dropped front springs. Car had an aluminum-headed Big Block...

Clint44 likes this.

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 19, 8:38 PM Thread Starter

appreciate the V40 details (I do love 5 spokes) and thanks to the Mod for moving it to the correct forum. Eager for others to chime in.

Thanks!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 19, 8:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tyler

Tony is right on with the wheel sizes and back space. Without mods front max is about a 9.5" wide wheel with a 6" BS. Rear max is 10" with a 5.5" BS. 275's are possible on all 4's. Caliper clearance will be dictated by the wheel, although I don't recall C5 calipers having issues.

Now. Disclaimer. Each car can be a little different, blah blah. LOL.

66 Malibu. STILL... Working toward participation in Optima events! Rebuild in progress.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 19, 9:29 PM
Clint

Lots of popular wheels will have clearance issues with C5 calipers. Torq Thrust II's are especially a problem.
davewho1 likes this.

Clint Hooper

Sold
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 19, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Yea, that's why I am trying to do my research before hand. Of course a lot of the sizes I am slowly coming up in the archives aren't available anymore

Appreciate the info all!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 19, 10:45 AM
Tech Team
Ben

Though mines a 68; I did 4 corner C5 conversion using take off C5 parts (not kit or aftermarket). I run the MB Old School wheels in 17x8 with 4.5” backspace up front and 17x9.5 rear with 5.5” backspace. I have to run a 1/4” wheel spacer at all 4 corners to get the back of the spokes to clear the face of the caliper; I even smoothed off the “Corvette” script. I could have used even less spacer but barely and the tears didn’t touch but they were super close so I figured I’d run them all 4 corners. I used stacked washers originally to determine how much spacing was needed.
Another note with these wheels in 17”; you can’t run stick on wheel weights close to the spokes inside the wheel, they will hit the caliper.
And keep in mind exhaust clearance. I have pypes full 3” and it is super close at full compression in the rear.

No car yet; currently looking for 66-69 project/driver.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 19, 8:52 PM
Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66promalibu View Post
Tony is right on with the wheel sizes and back space. Without mods front max is about a 9.5" wide wheel with a 6" BS. Rear max is 10" with a 5.5" BS. 275's are possible on all 4's. Caliper clearance will be dictated by the wheel, although I don't recall C5 calipers having issues.

Now. Disclaimer. Each car can be a little different, blah blah. LOL.
5.5" backspace is what you want, on a 15x10" rear wheel. With a 17" or larger wheel, I would go with a 5.75" backspacing (+6 offset), on a 10" width rear.
C5/C6 calipers have a lot of rotor overhang and can create issues on the front of these cars, depending on the wheel you choose.
davewho1 likes this.

Clint Hooper

Sold
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 19, 1:16 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Richard

Garage

I have a 66 with C6 brakes front, and F body rear. The front are the Kore3 calipers with the logo removed. The 17" wheels I used were American Racing 200S. 8.5" w/ 4 3/4" BS front, 9.5" w/ 5 1/2" BS rear. No spacers. I am now using a 18" Vision American of the shelf wheel. Lots of clearance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheels.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	603064  
Attached Images

Richard
66 Malibu
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 19, 3:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarl View Post
Hi All,

Thanks in advance!
The slightly smaller LS1 brakes will clear any 17" wheel.

If you haven't fully committed to the C5's.

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, Marina Blue with black interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in