Team Chevelle banner

60 inch rear end in a 70-72 chevelle

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  temp2c 
#1 ·
Hey folks have a question. I’m sure it’s been gone over many times before, but I searched and didn’t find an answer.

I have a 60 inch rear end I had built in my 72 Chevelle. I was hoping to hear what others have run in their car as far as wheel combos in the rear with success.

I’m gonna run 15 inch diameter. I want the best bang for my buck if that makes sense. I have 4.10 gears so I want to stay about 28 inches in tire diameter or so. Backspace etc and wheel width would be great if I can get feed back.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!!

#2 ·
Garret the only way to make sure what Wheel/Tire Combo will fit inside your Stock 70-72 Chevelle Fenderwells with a 60" Rearend

Is for you to take out your Measureing Tape and go to it ;
1. Overall Space in each Fenderwell as the Driverside may be different than the Passengerside
2. Rear End Width – Face of Brake Drum/Disc Driverside to Face of Drum/Disc Passengerside = ?? “
3. OUT SPACE from inside Lip of Outside Fender to Face of Rear Drum/Disc Brake Hub/Wheel Mounting Pad
........ DR Side = ?? “ PASS Side = ?? ”
4. IN SPACE from Face of Rear Drum/Disc Brake Hub/Wheel Mounting Pad to Frame/Inner Fender
....... DR Side = ?? “ PASS Side = ?? ”
5.Total Wheel Well Space = # 3 + # 4 measurements #s
........ DR Side = ?? “ PASS Side = ?? ”
if one side is less then use it as the applicable number and/or make sure the Rearend is centered properly

Measure twice and you will only need to buy once the Wheels/Tires
you need to fit within your car’s Fenderwells .

Other Noteable things to look for that will affect the Wheel/Tire Combo ;
A. the Rear Lower Shock Mount Bolt may interfere with the Wheel’s Rim
B. and yes your car's exhaust may interfer with the Tire on a 10" Wide Wheel or Wider
C. Type of Brake system on rearend, Drum or Disc ! as the Disc setup is usually wider than a Drum setup
D. Is Rearend centred ?
E. Has the car been Lowered ?
F. Side Wall/Section Width of the Tire = ??
G. Diameter Height of Tire = ?

Supply ALL NEEDED above info and then I can calculate for you
the left over Outside & Inside ROOM on each side of the Wheel/Tire Combo within your car's Fenderwells !

#3 ·
....Supply ALL NEEDED above info and then I can calculate for you
the left over Outside & Inside ROOM on each side of the Wheel/Tire Combo within your car's Fenderwells ![/QUOTE]

Nice bits of information. Right on. I’ll take some time to measure for you today and get all the numbers you need. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Thanks.

#4 ·
My new Moser rear end is exactly 60" from brake face to brake face. This is worth noting as the stock 12 bolt with drums is 61", and my friend's "1967" Moser 12 bolt with discs came at 61 1/4".

As for back spacer, well stock you want 5.5 with a 15x10, so now you'd want 5.0" backspacing. I run a 295/55R15 drag radial at the strip which is 28" tall.

#5 ·
I got a Strange S60 and mine is 60 from brake face to brake face as well. I’m not sure I want 8 inch or 10 inch wheels. If I could find 295/55 in a street tire I’d run the 10 inch. I can find the 275/60r15 for the street and I think an 8 would be better.

I’m looking to run slicks for the strip and looking at 28x10.5 15

The 5.0 offset make sense with the shorter axle. Thanks for the info.

#6 ·
Garret based on your measurement #s of
2. Brake Face to face is exactly 60”
3. DS = 6 3/8 PS = 6 3/8 OutSpace
4. DS = 6 5/8 PS = 6 5/8 INspace
5. Overall is 13 inches from frame to inner outer panel edge (uncut).
.... I have a good 3/4 or more I could roll or trim on the quarter panel edge

B. Exhaust will dump front of rear end
C. Running disc. (60 inch total length)
D. Rear is centered using Currie adjustable uppers
E. Rear is lowered 1” using lowering springs

10” Rim ......................... 5” Outside = 50% OLDs SS1& 2 Rallye 15” x 10” Rim BS 5” INside = 50%
6.375” = .28” OS + 6.10” M/TetStS/SRads 295/55R/15 12.2” SideWallWidth 6.10” +INspace of .53” rm = 6.625” = 13” WheelWellSpace
................................................................. 27.7” Diam

So a 10" Wide Wheel with a 5" Back Space and the 12.2" Wide M/T ET Street S/S Tire 295/55/15
gives you a 1/4" Room on the Outside/FenderLip
and 1/2" Room on the INside/Frame
will work on the Street and at the Track I use them on my 67 with a 60" Wide Rearend

If you want a Slick just pick one that has the Width of not more than 12.2" and the Height of 28" to max of 30"
but be aware you did Lower the Car 1" so likely the 28" / 27.7" Tire would work best

For a pic of them on my car chechout my Garage and Click on the First Album
at the Bottom of the page Pic # 22

#8 ·
Ordered, received and installed my new wheels and tires. 15x10 with 5.0 back space 295/55r15 MT Drag Radials on the 60 inch rear end worked. Had to trim just a little of the wheel well opening. I installed BMR 2 inch lowering springs in the rear. Thanks for all the help.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.