66 Chevelle 300 front wheel and tire size - Help - Chevelle Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old May 13th, 19, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

66 Chevelle 300 front wheel and tire size - Help

I couldn't find this specific question anywhere but I realize there are a million wheel and tire combo posts on here, but here goes anyway. I have a 66 Chevelle 300 with stock upper and lower control arms, Right Stuff front disc brake conversion with 2" drop spindles. The front coils are cut " a little bit" to get the stance you see in the pics. The front wheels are 17" X 7" 4" backspace Rev Classic 100's. The front tires are Nitto NT555 235/45ZR17. When I turn the front wheels I get a little rubbing on the inner fender/fender lip, but I expect that. The part that I am not too fond of is when I drive the car in a straight line with wheels pointed straight ahead and apply the brakes, hit a bump or literally just go downhill I get a rub on the inner fender a couple inches above the wheel well lip. The rub is where the inner fender starts to radius from vertical into the arch shape... (not very descriptive) Its above the top/center of the wheel wheel opening. I think it could be fixed with a set of custom offset front wheels because there is a lot of room between the frame and the wheel/tire, but then I am looking for a set of new wheels for the rear also. I talked to Rev and they said they cannot make a custom offset wheel and I'd like the front and rear wheels to match. I am thinking about a narrower tire on the front, 205, 215 or 225.

Anyone have any experience with 17" X 7" w/4" BS and 235/45/17 on the front of a 66 Chevelle with drop spindles and a little bit of spring trimming? Anyone running a similar wheel with a narrower tire?

Anyone running 17" X 7" w/4.5" or any custom backspace? What can you recommend in regard to custom back spacing?

Any help appreciated. And yes, it needs more tire in the back but first things first I'd like to drive it once or twice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	conv ctr 2019.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	593610   Click image for larger version

Name:	Irwin Cruise 2019.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	593612   Click image for larger version

Name:	side view .jpg
Views:	26
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	593614  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old May 14th, 19, 3:27 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage
Re: 66 Chevelle 300 front wheel and tire size - Help

On my '66 convertible (72 Chevelle disc brakes, IIRC same as the Right Stuff), I was running 15X7 GM rally wheels (early/mid-70's Monte Carlo). IIRC, these were 4.25" BS. I was running 265/50/15 tires, and there was a slight rub in the location you mentioned, although removing the one "inner-fender-to-fender" bolt at the top of the lip solved the issue. My car was even lower than yours ( stock spindles, but cut the springs too much), and by a simple calculation, the overall tire diameter is about the same. 235/45/17=25.3 inches, 265/50/15= 25.4 inches.

Are you clearing that one bolt? Or is that the rubbing point? I thought of using a single button-head bolt, but never got around to it...

I later went with 275/40/17, but also changed the brakes and raised the car up a bit

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

Sold

&

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old May 27th, 19, 2:36 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Re: 66 Chevelle 300 front wheel and tire size - Help

Thanks for the reply. The bolt was an issue as well as the two dimples caused by the forming of the inner fender as well as the width of the tire/wheel backspace. I swapped the bolt for a button head and tried to remove some of the inner fender forming dimples. I also threw a set of 205 50 17's on the front until I can come to terms with a set of custom backspace wheels. The rear wheels were ordered from Rev with 1/2" extra backspace because the car has a 68-72 12 bolt, but Rev tells me they cannot make 17 X 7 with more than 4" of backspace so I will be into four new wheels from some manufacturer if I want to move the wheels "into the wheel well". Car still looks okay for the occasional cruise or to chase down some ice cream and it's fun to drive. Dad and I put a lot of time into the car together so I'll start enjoying it now.

Thanks for your response and the level of detail.

Happy Memorial Day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in