About to buy some wheels and tires!! - Chevelle Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 18, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

About to buy some wheels and tires!!

I have a 64 cutlass and am about to bite on some wheels and tires are deals.

It's lowered 2", has Umi tubulars which add a ton of caster, and front disc swap which oush the wheel out right over an inch

My current wheels are rubbing like crazy up front
and rears are way to small for me. They're only 3.5 backspace and 215/60/15 around.

Looking at 18x9.5 with 5.25 backspace in the rear. With a 255/45/18 ( would prefer a 275/40/18 if possible)

18x8 and 4.5 backspace and 245/45/18 in front

Thoughts on fitment? I've seen a ton of threads but nothing specific to lowered cars.

Thanks in advance and happy labor day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 18, 1:28 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Re: About to buy some wheels and tires!!

I can't comment on front fitment and my setup isn't apples to apples but I have 2" drop in the rear and 275/60/15 on 15x9 5.5" BS. The tires are centered about perfect in the wheel well. I think your rear back spacing is right on if you stay with a 255 but you may want a little more if you're going to try stuffing a 275.

If you go through the wheel and tire database thread starting at the last post and work backwards I think you'll find your answer.

And post a picture of that beauty!

70 Camino...Roller

69 Malibu Stock 307, Reverse Manual TH350, 4,500 Stall Edge Converter, 4.56 Spool 35 Spline 12 Bolt

76 C20 VortecPro 496 628HP 655 lb/ft TH400 Edge Converter, 4.10 14 bolt

Last edited by Tommy the Cat; Sep 3rd, 18 at 1:47 PM.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 18, 3:03 PM
Clint

A 64 Cutlass is probably a very different animal, than an equivalent 64 Chevelle. If it is, I doubt those wheel specs will work, anyway. For sure, they won't work on a 64 Chevelle.
You need to spend some time with a tape measure and figure out exactly what will fit. Don't guess. Maybe Kirk's67SS will see this thread and offer some help.
Kirk's67SS likes this.

Clint Hooper

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 18, 4:26 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Clint may be right, he has experience with big wheels and I don't. My rears were loaned to a friend of a friend for fitment on a '64 Chevelle and I'm told they fit the car perfectly but I never even saw the car so I can't confirm.

70 Camino...Roller

69 Malibu Stock 307, Reverse Manual TH350, 4,500 Stall Edge Converter, 4.56 Spool 35 Spline 12 Bolt

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 18, 4:40 PM
Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy the Cat View Post
Clint may be right, he has experience with big wheels and I don't. My rears were loaned to a friend of a friend for fitment on a '64 Chevelle and I'm told they fit the car perfectly but I never even saw the car so I can't confirm.
Tommy, a 9" width wheel w/5.5"bs should work on most 64-65's. I doubt a 9.5" width w/5.25"bs will fit very well, w/o clearance issues.
Big difference in wheel specs.

Clint Hooper

Sold

Sold
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 18, 4:49 PM
Tech Team
Josh

Garage
I have a 65 Chevelle with 2" UMI lowering springs and tubular arms. I'm running 18x8 in front with 5" bs up front and 18x9 with 5" bs in rear, however my rear end was narrowed 3/4" on each side. I have wilwood disc all the way around. Front just clears with steering at full lock, rear is tight but clears, I'll have a little more room in the rear when I do paint and body as I will roll the rear lip
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 18, 4:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

You're right. The 9.5" would work on my car OR the 5.25" backspacing but not both. I glossed over that he was asking about a 9.5" width, good catch.

But comparing a '69 and second-hand info about a '64 Chevelle to a Cutlass is anecdotal at best. A tape measure and a straight edge will answer all your questions.
Clint44 likes this.

70 Camino...Roller

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 18, 5:55 PM Thread Starter

Wow thanks for all the replies so quick!

So I measured my current setup and overall wheel well size but am not sure how to measure for different backspacing.

In the rear I have 15x7 with 3.5 backspace and a 215/70/15 which is about 27" tall and 8.5" wide.

Overall wheel well I have 11.5" inside wall to wall/frame. There is 2" room towards the frame and 3/4" room to the inner bulge in fender

So I have 2.75" extra room to mess with.

Attached is a picture of the project cutlass and a little teaser of the LS2 I'm building for her. She needs more body love and I need to remove that sticker off the windshield hahaClick image for larger version

Name:	00000IMG_00000_BURST20180608144859011_COVER_1536008547845.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	4.50 MB
ID:	573926
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15360082763867366545347723495398_1536008310116.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	573924  
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 18, 5:58 PM
Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheveezy View Post
I have a 65 Chevelle with 2" UMI lowering springs and tubular arms. I'm running 18x8 in front with 5" bs up front and 18x9 with 5" bs in rear, however my rear end was narrowed 3/4" on each side. I have wilwood disc all the way around. Front just clears with steering at full lock, rear is tight but clears, I'll have a little more room in the rear when I do paint and body as I will roll the rear lip
If your rears are really close, I would think clearances would be a little tighter on the inside, than outside. Is that not the case, Josh?

Clint Hooper

Sold

Sold
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 18, 6:01 PM
Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkearnel View Post
Wow thanks for all the replies so quick!

So I measured my current setup and overall wheel well size but am not sure how to measure for different backspacing.

In the rear I have 15x7 with 3.5 backspace and a 215/70/15 which is about 27" tall and 8.5" wide.

Overall wheel well I have 11.5" inside wall to wall/frame. There is 2" room towards the frame and 3/4" room to the inner bulge in fender

So I have 2.75" extra room to mess with.

Attached is a picture of the project cutlass and a little teaser of the LS2 I'm building for her. She needs more body love and I need to remove that sticker off the windshield haha
https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/produc...space/tech_faq

Clint Hooper

Sold

Sold
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 18, 6:01 PM
Tech Team
Josh

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint44 View Post
Quote:
If your rears are really close, I would think clearances would be a little tighter on the inside, than outside. Is that not the case, Josh?
Hey Clint, yes it is slightly tighter on the inside but not too tight as to cause any issues.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 18, 6:06 PM
Clint

Quote:
Hey Clint, yes it is slightly tighter on the inside but not too tight as to cause any issues.
Yeah, I didn't think it would be very much. 64-65's definitely prefer more backspacing, though.

Clint Hooper

Sold

Sold
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 18, 6:49 PM Thread Starter

Lol! Thank you, but I know how to measure backspacing on the wheel itself, but I mean how do I measure my wheel well to see what fits, while incorporating a larger backspace?
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 18, 11:55 PM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.

Garage

Every car is different from Dr side to Passsenger side
and taking measurements of your car's Fenderwells etc
is the key to what Wheel / Tire Combo size will fit without rubbing or hitting anything ;

BACK SPACING & WHEEL WELL / Shock Mount Room https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

First measure with the current sized Wheels/Tires =
1.Wheel’s Rim room inside curved lip of Wheel Rim to bottom part of Lower Shock Nut =
.... This is because as you increase the BackSpace on a Wheel and or increase the Width of the Wheel
.... it may interfere with the Lower Shock Mount/Bolt

2.SPACE from Front of Rear Fender Well to front of current tire when mounted to rear end
.... this is for to measure the MAX height/diameter a tire can be
.... and it is Important that you allow Bias tires a growth margin .

Second with the Wheels/Tires removed from Both DR & Pass sides, one side at a time or all same time measure the following;
1. Rear End Width – Face of Brake Drum/Disc Driverside to Face of Drum/Disc Passengerside = “

2.OUT SPACE from inside Lip of outside Fender to Face of Rear Drum/Disc Brake Hub/Wheel Mounting Pad
.... DR Side = “
.... PASS Side = ”

3.IN SPACE from Face of Rear Drum Brake Hub/Wheel Mounting Pad to Frame/Inner Fender
.... DR Side = “
.... PASS Side = ”

4.Total Wheel Well Space = # 2 + # 3 measurements #s
.... DR Side = “
.... PASS Side = ”
.... if one side is less then use it as the applicable number or make sure the Rearend is centered properly

Important things to NOTE;
1. the Rear Lower Shock Mount Bolt may interfere with the Wheel’s Rim
2. and yes your car's exhaust may interfer with the Tire on a 10" Wide Wheel
3. Type of Brake system on rearend, Drum or Disc ! as the Disc setup is usually wider than a Drum setup
4. Is Rearend centred ?
5. Has the car been Lowered ?
6. Side Wall/Section Width of the Tire = ?
7. Diameter Height of Tire = ?
8. Size of Wheel you wish run ?

Measure twice and you will only need to buy once the Wheels/Tires
you need to fit within your car’s Fenderwells .

Supply the above info and then I can calculate for you !
Clint44 likes this.

67 Chevelle Malibu SS Cdn
Born 283 / PG / A51
468/TH400 2,500 stall/ S60 3.70 Gs
Prev Best on M/T ET S/S #3454 street Tires/Dress 2018/05/20
60' = 1.664
1/8 = 7.532 et / 91 mph
1/4 = 11.814 et / 115 mph
NEW Best with 3,500+ Stall TC 2019/09/08
60' = 1.547
1/8 = 7.311 et / 91.76 mph
1/4 = 11.595 et / 114.28 mph

post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 18, 9:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk's67SS View Post
Every car is different from Dr side to Passsenger side
and taking measurements of your car's Fenderwells etc
is the key to what Wheel / Tire Combo size will fit without rubbing or hitting anything ;

BACK SPACING & WHEEL WELL / Shock Mount Room https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

First measure with the current sized Wheels/Tires = 15x7 3.75" backspacing and 215/70/15
1.Wheel’s Rim room inside curved lip of Wheel Rim to bottom part of Lower Shock Nut = Dr 1.78" Pass 1.78"
.... This is because as you increase the BackSpace on a Wheel and or increase the Width of the Wheel
.... it may interfere with the Lower Shock Mount/Bolt

2.SPACE from Front of Rear Fender Well to front of current tire when mounted to rear end Dr 2.5" Pass 2.5"
.... this is for to measure the MAX height/diameter a tire can be
.... and it is Important that you allow Bias tires a growth margin .

Second with the Wheels/Tires removed from Both DR & Pass sides, one side at a time or all same time measure the following;
1. Rear End Width – Face of Brake Drum/Disc Driverside to Face of Drum/Disc Passengerside = 60"

2.OUT SPACE from inside Lip of outside Fender to Face of Rear Drum/Disc Brake Hub/Wheel Mounting Pad
.... DR Side = 6.25"
.... PASS Side = 6.25"

3.IN SPACE from Face of Rear Drum Brake Hub/Wheel Mounting Pad to Frame/Inner Fender
.... DR Side = 6.78“
.... PASS Side = 6.18”

4.Total Wheel Well Space = # 2 + # 3 measurements #s
.... DR Side = 13.03“
.... PASS Side = 12.43”
.... if one side is less then use it as the applicable number or make sure the Rearend is centered properly Rear seems correctly centered. Iknow previous owner did some rear body patching, so I assume they mismatched measurements from side to side.

Important things to NOTE;
1. the Rear Lower Shock Mount Bolt may interfere with the Wheel’s Rim Measurements above to ensure it doesn't
2. and yes your car's exhaust may interfer with the Tire on a 10" Wide Wheel Dumps under car
3. Type of Brake system on rearend, Drum or Disc ! as the Disc setup is usually wider than a Drum setup Rear drums--stock setup
4. Is Rearend centred ? yes
5. Has the car been Lowered ? Yes, 2 in UMI springs all around
6. Side Wall/Section Width of the Tire = ? Current tire Side wall= 5.9" Section Width= 8.5"
7. Diameter Height of Tire = ? Current tire= 26.9"
8. Size of Wheel you wish run ? 18x 9.5 with 5.25" backspacing. Would like to fit a 275 tire, but minimum 255 I'll be happy.

Measure twice and you will only need to buy once the Wheels/Tires
you need to fit within your car’s Fenderwells .

Supply the above info and then I can calculate for you !

Kirk's67SS, thank you so much. All answers are quoted in BOLD above. If you need any other measurements, let me know and I can measure this afternoon once I'm home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 495 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.