LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 57 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 18, 7:54 PM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.

Garage
Re: BFG TA'S or Cooper Cobra RWL

For Pics see in my "Garage" #s 4 / 6 / 9

Previously- FRONT-Wheel = CragarChrome 391 # 3915734 15x7 BS 3.50” BC 5x4 ¾”
...................... - TIRE = UniroyalTgrPwRadial P205/75R15 – TreadWidth 6.25” /SideWallsWidth 8"/ Dia 27.1"

ON CAR NOW FRONT-Wheel = JEGs SportStar # 555-66062 15x7 BS 4.50” BC 5x4 ¾”
...................... - TIRE = COOPER StarFire P205/70R15 – TreadWidth 5.59” /SideWallsWidth 8"/ Dia 26.28"

REARS - Wheel = CRAGAR Chrome 391 # 3915834 15x 8 BS 4.25” BC 5x4 ¾”
.............. - TIRE = M/T Sportsman S/R Radial # 6641 28'' x 12''R x 15''LT TreadWidth 10.4"/ SWW 12.1"/Dia 28"

The Rear Tires are 6 years old and look new plus give fairly good Traction/Wear on the Street

67 Chevelle Malibu SS Cdn
Born 283 / PG / A51
468/TH400 2,500 stall/ S60 3.70 Gs
Prev Best on M/T ET S/S #3454 street Tires/Dress 2018/05/20
60' = 1.664
1/8 = 7.532 et / 91 mph
1/4 = 11.814 et / 115 mph
NEW Best with 3,500+ Stall TC 2019/09/08
60' = 1.547
1/8 = 7.311 et / 91.76 mph
1/4 = 11.595 et / 114.28 mph

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 57 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 18, 9:40 PM
Senior Tech Team
Claude

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickeyChevelle View Post
The Coopers look cheap, like you're cutting corners, like you took the good wheels/tires off for some reason (like to sell the car).
What do you mean by "Coopers "look cheap"?? Do you have a special ability enabling you to judge if a tire is good or not just by looking at it ?? …wow!

Claude.

1971 Chevelle SS
1987 Buick Grand National 9.48 @ 142 mph
post #48 of 57 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 18, 11:07 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofastforyou View Post
What do you mean by "Coopers "look cheap"?? Do you have a special ability enabling you to judge if a tire is good or not just by looking at it ?? …wow!

Claude.
Easy there, big guy. As you quoted above, I said "look," not "are." I also said "cheap," but not "inexpensive." I (and perhaps others) prefer the look of the "traditional Muscle Car Era" tire manufacturers (i.e. Goodyear and Firestone). Goodyears and Firestones have good looks, as do Pro-Trak 60s, and several other era brands. IMHO the Font used on the Coopers is unremarkable and as such adds to the tires' cheap look.

My comment was about looks not performance.

You need not agree with me but do not attack me personally for my opinion. I won't change my opinion because you choose to disrespect me.

Our You Tube Vids:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #49 of 57 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 18, 11:12 PM
Tech Team
Troy

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofastforyou View Post

Claude.
I will not buy Cooper Cobras because they just had a recall on some of them...I just got a letter from Summit today about it...also other Coopers are recalled also. I'm going with Mickey Thompson tires for my Chevelle.
post #50 of 57 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 18, 11:54 PM
Senior Tech Team
Claude

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickeyChevelle View Post
Easy there, big guy. As you quoted above, I said "look," not "are." I also said "cheap," but not "inexpensive." I (and perhaps others) prefer the look of the "traditional Muscle Car Era" tire manufacturers (i.e. Goodyear and Firestone). Goodyears and Firestones have good looks, as do Pro-Trak 60s, and several other era brands. IMHO the Font used on the Coopers is unremarkable and as such adds to the tires' cheap look.

My comment was about looks not performance.

You need not agree with me but do not attack me personally for my opinion. I won't change my opinion because you choose to disrespect me.
--> Bruce, I did not "attack" or "disrespected" you.

Claude.

1971 Chevelle SS
1987 Buick Grand National 9.48 @ 142 mph
post #51 of 57 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 18, 3:13 PM
Tech Team
Jeff

Garage

I Love the Look of the BFG's and run them on all of my El Caminos.
I ran a set of cooper Cobra's on my 89 IROC Convertible and I Hated them!
If the car sat overnight ( or longer) they would get "flat spots" and car would shake like a dog pooping bones
for the first couple of miles! They were OK after a few miles and warmed up
I have also run Remington XT120's and Delta "Roadmax' tires without complaint.
Summit's price ($162 + free shipping!) for 275-60-15 seems a lot better than Tire Rack (TR=$178.75= shipping costs) too. Coopers in that size are $118 at Tire Rack

What you do today dictates how fast you go Tomorrow
post #52 of 57 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 18, 3:32 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Both my Buicks have Cooper Cobras and I have had no issues with them. Ride smooth cold or hot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GNGS.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	518937  

post #53 of 57 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 18, 6:14 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

A lot of great replies. Thanks guys. One more wrench in the spokes. Since it sounds like Cooper is having issues with tires, what do you guys think of Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/T radials? Just covering the bases. Thanks
post #54 of 57 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 18, 9:31 AM
Senior Tech Team

From what I understand, Cooper makes the Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/T.
post #55 of 57 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 18, 12:10 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

I have 225/70-14 Cooper Cobra on the rear of my El Camino, I have nothing bad to say about them. They are about 18-20 years old, and have about 25K-30K miles on them, and are still fine. Been on highway for hours, in rain as well. I want to replace them only because of their age. I have zero problems with "flat spots" when sitting for a month or two. If anyone doesn't like the name on them, run them blackwall side out. Personally I think the name looks good and would like to run them that way, but my fronts are whitewalls, so I run all 4 with blackwall side out.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #56 of 57 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 18, 12:48 PM
Tech Team
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclerider View Post
A lot of great replies. Thanks guys. One more wrench in the spokes. Since it sounds like Cooper is having issues with tires, what do you guys think of Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/T radials? Just covering the bases. Thanks
Looks like the recall on the Cooper Cobra covers tires made in a two week period in February, 2017. Cooper is replacing the tires for free, so it sounds like they're stepping up and doing the right thing.
mr 4 speed likes this.
post #57 of 57 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 18, 3:05 PM
Senior Tech Team

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 722 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.