67 Chevelle - New wheels & tires - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 18, 12:12 PM
Senior Tech Team
Kevin

Re: 67 Chevelle - New wheels & tires

I have 17x8 front and rear on my '67. BS is 4.75" with 235/45-17 and 265/45-17 front and rear respectively. There is about 1/2" of clearance both front and rear from lip to tire. I have UMI 2" drop springs with stock spindles up front and Baer 14" rotors and brakes. Both tires tuck up into the wheel wells slightly. The challenge with wider wheels and tires is rubbing on the front inner fender on compression. Mine does not have any. I used to have drop spindles but didn't like the issues they caused and decided to get the stance with springs.

"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space" - Jim Whittaker

Ermine White/Red 1967 Chevelle Malibu
Forged Mike Lewis 383 rotating assembly
AFR Eliminator 195's
Lunati Voodoo 60122 roller cam
Inglese 50mm 8 stack injection
FAST XFI Street
SC&C Stage II Plus suspension
Hotchkis/Hellwig sway bars
Tremec TKO 600
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 18, 12:51 PM
Tech Team

Thats what I was running in to with my 66. I ended up going with 17x7, 4 BS in the front and 225x50 tires just to make sure it was tucked in away from the fender lip. Worked out great.

Test fitting the above to my rear, Im going with 17x8, 4.75 BS like you, but smaller tire, either 245 or 255. Anything bigger it looks like Itd be pushing it.
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 18, 12:52 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by map95003 View Post
Thanks everyone. I think I'll go with this combination, hopefully I can find some reasonable priced, decent tires with this combination.

Rims & Tires:
Front rims: 17x8, 0 offset. Tires: 225/45R17. This will be me a 25" diameter, 9" width and 4" sidewall.
Rear rims: On the fence between these 2 options. A few of you guys also reached out to me on the rear wheel offset which I really appreciate. Would a offset of 6 be enough for 285s?
18x9.5, ?? offset. Tires: 275/40R18. This will give me a 26.7" diameter, 10.8" width and 4.3" sidewall.
18x9.5, ?? offset. Tires: 285/40R18. This will give me a 27" diameter, 11.2" width and 4.5" sidewall.
On the rear of my '66 (with a stock 66 rearend), I could fit 17X9.5 with 275/40/17 with BOTH 6.0" BS AND 5.5" BS... The 6.0" BS will be close to the inside tub, while the 5.5" fit really well...

IMO, the 9.5 wheel with the 6.0" BS looked goofy, as the wheels/tires seemed to sit INSIDE too far...

Then again, with deeper back spacing, you can use a spacer to fine tune the location...

BTW, I ran 275/40/17 on 17x9.5 wheels all around... But due to the C5 Corvette disc swap up front (Kore3) and the thin spacer allowing the wheel to clear the caliper (weld bead between the center-section and barrel of rim rubbed the caliper fins), I had to run a 6.0" BS on the front... I wanted to run the same wheel/tire on front and rear, so I tired the 6.0" BS on the rear... Too much clearance (visually) at the outer quarter panel lip, IMO... So I ended up with the 5.5" BS on the rear (plenty of clearance for a rear disc conVersion, which never happened until after I sold the car).

Here is the 5.5 BS, although not a great picture..
true136 likes this.

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

Sold

&

post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 18, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy67 View Post
I have 17x8 front and rear on my '67. BS is 4.75" with 235/45-17 and 265/45-17 front and rear respectively. There is about 1/2" of clearance both front and rear from lip to tire. I have UMI 2" drop springs with stock spindles up front and Baer 14" rotors and brakes. Both tires tuck up into the wheel wells slightly. The challenge with wider wheels and tires is rubbing on the front inner fender on compression. Mine does not have any. I used to have drop spindles but didn't like the issues they caused and decided to get the stance with springs.
14" Baer brakes inside a 17" wheel? I'd really like to see photos of that,Kevin.
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 18, 3:23 PM

On a 66-67, a 275 front and 295 rear are considered big. Personally, I've never understood why people want to use a 17x7 or 18x7 wheel w/225 tire, on such a heavy vehicle. At a minimum, I would run midrange widths, with a 245 front and 275 rear. Just my opinion,though.

Anything wider than a 255 on an 8" width wheel is too much. According to Nitto, my front 255/35/18 555 G2's need a 9" width, for optimum performance.

Many people that own these cars tend to underestimate how much fenderwell room their cars really have. Where's Greg when we need him?
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 18, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966_L78 View Post
On the rear of my '66 (with a stock 66 rearend), I could fit 17X9.5 with 275/40/17 with BOTH 6.0" BS AND 5.5" BS... The 6.0" BS will be close to the inside tub, while the 5.5" fit really well... IMO, the 9.5 wheel with the 6.0" BS looked goofy, as the wheels/tires seemed to sit INSIDE too far...Then again, with deeper back spacing, you can use a spacer to fine tune the location...

BTW, I ran 275/40/17 on 17x9.5 wheels all around... But due to the C5 Corvette disc swap up front (Kore3) and the thin spacer allowing the wheel to clear the caliper (weld bead between the center-section and barrel of rim rubbed the caliper fins), I had to run a 6.0" BS on the front... I wanted to run the same wheel/tire on front and rear, so I tired the 6.0" BS on the rear... Too much clearance (visually) at the outer quarter panel lip, IMO... So I ended up with the 5.5" BS on the rear (plenty of clearance for a rear disc conVersion, which never happened until after I sold the car).
So what you're saying, Tony, is a 9.5" width wheel w/5.5" backspace will fit fine, on either front or back of a 66-67, under normal conditions (stock brakes)
post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 18, 7:37 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966_L78 View Post
On the rear of my '66 (with a stock 66 rearend), I could fit 17X9.5 with 275/40/17 with BOTH 6.0" BS AND 5.5" BS... The 6.0" BS will be close to the inside tub, while the 5.5" fit really well...

IMO, the 9.5 wheel with the 6.0" BS looked goofy, as the wheels/tires seemed to sit INSIDE too far...

Then again, with deeper back spacing, you can use a spacer to fine tune the location...

Thanks for your help. I've learnt quite a bit about wheel size and configuration from you guys here over the last few days...which definitely makes my decision a bit easier. btw, great looking 66
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 18, 8:00 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

With all the help I got from everyone explaining rims & tires, back spacing, offset, diameter, width, rearends...this all makes a lot more sense now. Been playing around with the numbers for various tire brands, sizes and $$. Based on what I know now and my budget, here's what I think I'm settling on:

Fronts
Rims: 17x8, 0 offset.
Tires: 235/45/17. This will give me a 9.3" width, 25.3" height and 4.2" sidewall. With the 2" BMR lowering springs currently on the front, this should be OK.

Rears
Rims: 18x9, 0 offset (I was able to save a few $$ going from 9.5" down to a 9" rim)
Tires: 275/40/18. This will give me a 10.8" width, 26.7 height and 4.3" sidewall. I wanted to go with a 9.5" rim and a 285 tire, but not sure it was worth the added $$.

The rear currently has a set of 1" lowering springs but I also have a new set of BMR 2" rear lowering springs that I'll use if the back end up sitting too high.

Thanks again for all your help everyone, really appreciate it.
post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 18, 9:03 PM
Tech Team

I would measure your front and make sure it fits. I understand what others say it should fit, but I do have a set of wheels and tires that I just bought and installed 2-3 weeks ago and I can see exactly what fits and what wouldnt.

What youre getting, would not fit in my 66, disc brakes. Your 8, is 9 overall and would leave 4.5 from the hub to the front (0 offset.)

Mine is 7, 0 offset which means 4 from hub to front. See pick below. No way another 1/2 wheel, plus 1/4 tire (mine is 225) would fit without hitting, Im looking at it right now.

Around 2+lowered, Ridetech street grip springs with 0 miles.

Its a pain to get it right, I used my old 14 wheels to estimate and got the width/clearance perfect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B279F714-099B-4943-B327-3BAAC16B4A5B_1516068148143.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	513682  
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 18, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanniziomas View Post
I would measure your front and make sure it fits. I understand what others say it should fit, but I do have a set of wheels and tires that I just bought and installed 2-3 weeks ago and I can see exactly what fits and what wouldnt.
What youre getting, would not fit in my 66, disc brakes. Your 8, is 9 overall and would leave 4.5 from the hub to the front (0 offset.)
Mine is 7, 0 offset which means 4 from hub to front. See pick below. No way another 1/2 wheel, plus 1/4 tire (mine is 225) would fit without hitting, Im looking at it right now.
Around 2+lowered, Ridetech street grip springs with 0 miles.
Its a pain to get it right, I used my old 14 wheels to estimate and got the width/clearance perfect.
Let me get this straight, yanniziomas, you're trying to convince me a 17x8 wheel w/4.5" backspace (0 offset) and a 235 tire won't your 66, without clearance issues? Unless your car has some outlandish suspension parts or brakes that have widened the track a bunch, which I doubt, that wheel & tire combo should fit easily with room to spare.

Last edited by Clint44; Jan 15th, 18 at 11:16 PM.
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 18, 10:54 PM
Tech Team

Hey Clint, maybe because the car is lowered, or could it be because its 4 door car? Dont know, my knowledge on all this is limited, but I can guarantee you (standing in front of it right now with a tape measure) I have no room on the outside for another .5 - .75.

Glibal west control arms, disc brake spindles, all new front suspension and steering. Maybe something is out of order, dont know.

Also, mine is a 66, think same as 67 but not sure.
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 18, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanniziomas View Post
Hey Clint, maybe because the car is lowered, or could it be because its 4 door car? Dont know, my knowledge on all this is limited, but I can guarantee you (standing in front of it right now with a tape measure) I have no room on the outside for another .5 - .75.
Global west control arms, disc brake spindles, all new front suspension and steering. Maybe something is out of order, dont know.
Also, mine is a 66, think same as 67 but not sure.
Did you consider that a 17x8 w/0 offset, will have 1/2" more backspacing than your 17x7's w/4", so for all practical purposes, both outer wheel faces would be located in the same place, in the wheelwell?
66-72's have practically the same amount of front wheelwell room. If you are close to me, I would be glad to pull off one of my 18x8 fronts w/255 tires and bolt it on your car. BTW, my car has at least a 2" front drop.
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 18, 3:57 PM
Tech Team
Ken

Garage

Here's what mine came with when I bought it last July.
Front: 225-50R17
Rear: 255-50R17

Wheels are rally style 17" one-piece (not separate trim ring)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	232.0 KB
ID:	514761   Click image for larger version

Name:	C04.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	386.7 KB
ID:	514769  

67 Chevelle Malibu, ZZ4 350 crate engine, TH350, FiTech EFI, Vintage Air, Dakota HDX dash, FlowMaster exhaust, Digi-Tails tail lights and front marker lights, 17" Rally style wheels, Redline tires
post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 18, 11:19 PM
Senior Tech Team
Kevin

Hey Clint - They are old Baer Track 4 brakes and yes they do fit. Been driving with them for 7 years. They use the older C4 aluminum 2 piston calipers not the newer 4 or 6 piston calipers which will not fit according to the Baer rep at SEMA.

"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space" - Jim Whittaker

Ermine White/Red 1967 Chevelle Malibu
Forged Mike Lewis 383 rotating assembly
AFR Eliminator 195's
Lunati Voodoo 60122 roller cam
Inglese 50mm 8 stack injection
FAST XFI Street
SC&C Stage II Plus suspension
Hotchkis/Hellwig sway bars
Tremec TKO 600
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 18, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy67 View Post
Hey Clint - They are old Baer Track 4 brakes and yes they do fit. Been driving with them for 7 years. They use the older C4 aluminum 2 piston calipers not the newer 4 or 6 piston calipers which will not fit according to the Baer rep at SEMA.
I had the Baer Track system on the front of my 69 Elco protourer but it used 13" two-piece rotors/ PBR calipers, like yours. They were a comfortable fit on my 17x9 front wheels.
The Track + system used a 14" rotor w/Alcon calipers. Big bucks for those. I know because I was a Wholesale/Distributor for Baer, back then.

Have you ever tried to buy new brake rotors, in that size? If you ever decide to upgrade, I would be interested in your front brakes.

Last edited by Clint44; Jan 19th, 18 at 12:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 873 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.