Wheels & Tires What fits what?

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 17, 5:42 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Garage
Re: Wheels for my 65 SS

Man, I really regret asking for advise... I am more confused than ever.

I have been shopping around and like the Foose wheels the best, but I guess my first choice is not to be. They would look perfect with the new paint job. As purchased and after paint pics included.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	as received (26).JPG
Views:	40
Size:	293.4 KB
ID:	500841   Click image for larger version

Name:	new paint (1).jpg
Views:	46
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	500849  

- Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 17, 5:51 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Garage

Clint - Maybe I am confused on the backspace calculation, but an 8" wide rim with 0" BS (or 1mm offset), wouldn't that be a 4" backspace? Wouldn't this give me an extra half inch of space between the tire and lip.

- Mike

post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 17, 7:07 PM
Tech Team

8” rim with 0 offset is 4.5” backspace, it’s little confusing, 8” wheel measures 9” on the outside edges.

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 17, 7:32 PM
Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanniziomas View Post
8” rim with 0 offset is 4.5” backspace, it’s little confusing, 8” wheel measures 9” on the outside edges.
Yann is correct. Once you understand how to figure that out, it becomes less confusing because some wheel makers list their wheels with available backspace and others list them with offsets.
To carry this a little further, one inch = 25.4 millimeters. Let's say an 8" wheel is listed as having a +6 offset. We already know that width with 0 offset = 4.5" backspace. +6mm is close to 1/4", that would mean that a 8" wheel with +6 offset = 4.75" backspace. That width with +12 offset = 5" backspace. Make sense? This also works in reverse with negative offsets. An 8" width with -6 offset = 4.25" backspace and so forth.
For that reason, I do not recommend negative offset wheels on these cars, unless your particular application specifically requires it. (narrowed rear end,etc)
burrism likes this.

Clint Hooper

Sold
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 17, 8:05 PM
Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by burrism View Post
Man, I really regret asking for advise... I am more confused than ever. I have been shopping around and like the Foose wheels the best, but I guess my first choice is not to be. They would look perfect with the new paint job.
As long as you don't try to go bigger than a 245 tire,on the rear, I think you will be ok with those Foose wheels, barely.
burrism likes this.

Clint Hooper

Sold

Last edited by Clint44; Dec 7th, 17 at 10:05 PM.
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 17, 12:54 AM
Team Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-L79 View Post
On a 17x8 wheel I found a (custom) 5-1/8" back spacing to be perfect for maximum clearance. I used 255/45-17s on the back on such wheels but given the clearance I have I could have easily gone with a 275/45-17 tire. Up front with a 17x7 with a 4-3/4" back space and a 235/45-17 tire there is no room to spare for a larger tire, more back spacing would jam it into the sway bar on turns and less would have it rubbing on the fender and inner fender. This was with a 2-inch drop up front dropping it using aftermarket control arms and tall spindles (well, stock spindles with tall ball joints).
My wheel specs are the same, and the manufacturer happened to have a 4 for the price of 3 deal on custom orders. My tires front and back are approx 26 in. Diameter at 255/45-17 and 225/50-17, Conti Extra Contact DW.

Mike

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 18, 2:57 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Garage

I finally got the new wheels!

225/45/R17 Foose in the front and 245/45/R17 in the rear. zero offset and everything fits like the Foose web site indicated. Data was loaded into the wheels and tires database.

Thanks for all the help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180106_102508.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	510218   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180106_100853.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	510226   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180106_102451.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	510234  

- Mike

post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 18, 5:58 PM
Clint

Glad to hear it,Mike. One question though, how are the front clearances with your drop spindles?

Clint Hooper

Sold
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 18, 9:03 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Garage

Clint - everything appears to be good (I only got them yesterday). so far no rubbing on the fender well or frame or suspension components. I will look at it more closely in the next day or two when it is in my garage and off the ground.

- Mike

post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 18, 12:18 AM
Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by burrism View Post
Clint - everything appears to be good (I only got them yesterday). so far no rubbing on the fender well or frame or suspension components. I will look at it more closely in the next day or two when it is in my garage and off the ground.
I'm curious about your rear tire clearance, with those zero offset wheels.

Clint Hooper

Sold
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 18, 10:44 AM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

The rear wheels look awful far back in the wheel well.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 705 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.