1962 Convertible Impala question. - Chevelle Tech
Misc (NON CHEVELLE AUTOMOTIVE TECH) This section is for the Non-Chevelle Related automotive questions/answers or discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 15, 4:29 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Tony

1962 Convertible Impala question.

So today I removed the motor and transmission from my cousins 62' Impala. 283/2spd auto.

Well, he is planning on having it freshened up a bit this winter. He's got all the exterior trim pieces removed from the car, the seats are removed and already at the upholstery shop.

He wants to send it to the body shop within two days to get the sheet metal prepped for paint. But first, he wants to remove the convertible fabric from the rack so he can have it painted as well.

So my question is, "How exactly is the convertible fabric removed"?

Here's an old picture of his car:

Here is another picture.....trunk is missing the key lock cylinder......10 years later and it's still missing. What the heck!!! But look to the far right of the pic......see those two gems over there? The primer brown one is a 70 and can you see the yellow convertible windshield frame peeking out on the other side of the 70'? That yellow convertible was grandpa's 1968, it's now red and resides in my garage. (RIP Grandpa)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 15, 2:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Joe Vega

Re: 1962 Convertible Impala question.

Nice cars Tony, I thought the material on the convertible top was held in with thin tacking strips.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 15, 11:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

Look in the interior threads, good luck.

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 15, 9:12 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Hopefully he plans on installing a new top after the car is painted. He can use a razor knife to cut the old top loose from it's tack strips, then remove all the bolts, screws, and staples from the top bows later. The most difficult part is removing the one long tack strip and 2 short ones that are located under the filler between the rear window and trunk lid, and above the inner rear wheel wells. You need to go into the back seat and remove the top well first, then get into the trunk with your head next to the rear seat/trunk divider frame to remove the 10-15 bolts that hold those 3 tack strips in place. Not a fun job for someone that has never done it before (but then what first-time job ever is...).

This may sound redundant (and this is for most 1940s-70s cars), but once a convertible top is removed from a car without cutting it off, it is impossible to re-install it because it must be fitted, stretched, and trimmed to get it wrinkle-free. You would never get all the bolt, screw, and staple holes to line up again. Don't even THINK about it.....

If the car right now has a really nice newer top on it, I'd leave it in place, do the body and paint with the top down and completely masked off, and then repaint the top bows the next time the convertible top is replaced.

Been there, done that many times in our upholstery shop.

When I works, I works hard.
When I sits, I sits loose.
When I thinks, I falls asleep.

The '68 L79 Malibu survivor as found in Nov. 2014, in my profile pic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1489 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.