How to buy a car from out of state? - Chevelle Tech
Misc (NON CHEVELLE AUTOMOTIVE TECH) This section is for the Non-Chevelle Related automotive questions/answers or discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 13, 3:08 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

Send a message via AIM to FlameOut
How to buy a car from out of state?

I recently retired, and to keep busy I thought about doing a car or two a year (i restored my Chevelle) to make some extra money. Right now I have someone that wants me to do an older VW beetle convertible for them and another guy that wants a 50's Chevy panel truck. (I know absolutely nothing about beetles though) The problem is that there is never anything in my area worth buying and I'd probably have to go out of state for a decent deal.

I've asked a few people locally about how to purchase from out of state, but no one seems to know for sure. I almost purchased a beetle off of ebay, and was going to have it shipped, sight unseen (just going by photos) but backed out at the last second because I thought I might actually have to be present for any paper work. I know people do this, so is there some special license that is required to buy and resell a car? Also, if I were to buy a car out of state and physically be there, how can I drive it home? I thought I could get some type of temporary plate but honestly I have no idea. I may have to stop at a notary or something to see if they have any information that would help

There is also a rough 67 Chevelle in my area for $1200, but no title, and I heard in PA that can be a nightmare

Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

396 (402) .030" over
Edelbrock
Performer RPM Air Gap
Lunati 60203 / KB 0.180
domed pistons
Holley Street Avenger 770
Muncie M-22
12 bolt posi 3.31
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 13, 6:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Joe Vega

Re: How to buy a car from out of state?

I always, always am prepared for the car to look nothing like its advertised, worse condition and so when it shows up nicer then that. You made out. Just like internet dating! Seriously, just never pay Western Union.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 13, 8:35 PM
Senior Tech Team
Derrick

i've bought a couple of cars with out of state titles- one from California, one from North Dakota- and it was as simple as just taking the out of state title to the courthouse or deputy registrar and transferring it... it's done with a different piece of paper, but the costs are the same as an in state transfer..

keep in mind that i live in MN, and our motor vehicle registration laws actually make sense, so your mileage may vary...

"Detroit hasn't felt any real pride since George Bush went to Japan and vomited on their auto executives, I tell you whut"

-Hank Hill

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 13, 9:10 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

So when buying a car sight unseen, the seller can just sign the title, leave it in the glove box and I can have a shipper pick up the car? There are a couple of cars about 200 miles away in Ohio that I might go look at and tow back if I like them. Can I just pay the cash, get a bill of sale and signed over title and be on my way?

Bill

396 (402) .030" over
Edelbrock
Performer RPM Air Gap
Lunati 60203 / KB 0.180
domed pistons
Muncie M-22
12 bolt posi 3.31
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 13, 10:43 PM
Tech Team
Chris

Yes. I bought a car in Northern California. Had the seller sign and fax me a bill of sale. Then certified mail me the title because most of the transport companies don't want to be responsible for the title. Not sure if your looking for a project or something that is complete but that would play into what carrier to use.

Chris-Phoenix,AZ
1967 Chevelle SS 396- 4 Speed
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 13, 11:13 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Best thing to do is get answers from your own state's DMV which may be totally different from the answers you get here that pertain to some other state. (direct from the horse's mouth)

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 13, 11:24 PM
Tech Team
Deejay

I have bought numerous cars on line in the last five years & this is what I have learned.

PICTURES LIE!!!!!
Anyone who uses a flash...RUN!!!!!! Flashes hide not enhance!
SELLERS LIE!!!! Not all....But allot do!!! Of all the cars I have looked at 75% of the sellers were were full of crap!!!!
Allot of cars are bought sight unseen & work out...I won't take that chance.If just one of the cars I looked at were bought sight unseen I would have lost a bundle.
I go look at everything. Even if it means flying out to California!!!!!!!! In the long run airfare is a lot cheaper then being burned!!!!!

Good luck to ya...

If you want to talk PM me your number.

Deejay
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 13, 7:02 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ed

Best advice so far is to check with the DMV in the state in which you live in and get what they say in writing. Sometimes you will even get a different opinion from different people in the same DMV office.
Some states will accept a bill of sale only, some MUST have a signed notarized title, notarized real close to the town in which the car came from is best, might not raise a red flag that way. Some states will accept a unsigned title if the state from which the car came from don't require signed titles. Virginia used to not require a signed title and NC would accept it unsigned, know that for a fact, been there done that.
If a car is over 35 years old in NC the DMV will send out a agent to inspect the car before the will issue you a new title. They look for counterfeit cars. Something that is Very important is to be sure all the info on the front of the title matches the info on the back.

Inspect the car , inspect the car, inspect the car, get that. If you can't, get all the good clear pictures that you possibly can. If you can't personally look at it get some one that you can trust and that knows cars do it for you. Might cost a little money up front but it will be money well spent.

Be very careful as the thought of a good deal can screw up your vision and good judgement.
Do you homework and all will be good.

Have a good day, Ed.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 13, 8:17 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Andy

Every state has different policies and procedures. You need to sit down with a state clerk to know exactly what they need to get it done. In Florida, all you need is a title and a bill of sale and by the time you are done, you have a real title, in your name, in around 15 minutes. And if it is a project or a non runner, you don't need insurance. But that has nothing to do with the Great State of Rocky Balboa.

Couple of junkers and a few clunkers.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 13, 2:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

Yup, every state is different. I buy and flip from time to time. In AZ, you used to be able to get title only. No more. I bought a 69 C20 pickup about a year ago with a blown motor. Wanted to go title only.........can't. I said ok, I'll go title and registration. They said I needed an emissions inspection. It don't run! I said ok, I'll add it to my classic car policy (that way I skip emissions). Had to go to the insurance agent, get a binder, and return to get the title I THOUGHT would be quick and easy.
If I buy a car with an out-of-state title, it has to be inspected before I can register it. I always check titles to serial numbers, so that's not a problem for me.
I NEVER buy vehicles that don't have a title. If they are too lazy to go get a title to replace the one they lost, too bad. Otherwise, it could be an issue and they can't get a title. I'm not interested. I have made an offer to buy, based on them getting off their lazy #$$ and getting a title, but my money stays in my pocket until they call and say they have the title.
I sell most of my flips at the Pomona swap meet in Cal. I always have the title signed and notorized before I leave home. That 69 C20 went to Australia with a notorized AZ title.
I'm still working, but can't wait to be retired to do what OP wants to do. I would NEVER buy a vehicle sight unseen. I've got a tilt-bed car trailer with a winch. When I go to look, the trailer goes with me, and the cash is in my pocket. My downfall is a CL ad that says "must be towed", or," bring a trailer". When I see that, I'm almost hooking up the trailer as I call............
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 13, 6:07 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

Thanks for all of the good tips and advice. I think I may need to take a trip to the PA DMV to see what exactly I need. I know PA can be a real PITA sometimes. For now I'll probably just limit myself to cars that I can actually go and see in person and drive or trailer home. Eventually I'd like a trailer to haul with, but for the time being I might have to settle for a u-haul car dolly and stay within a few hundred miles. I've only been retired for 3 weeks and already itching for something to do!

Bill

396 (402) .030" over
Edelbrock
Performer RPM Air Gap
Lunati 60203 / KB 0.180
domed pistons
Muncie M-22
12 bolt posi 3.31
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 13, 6:34 AM
Team Member
Jim

Lightbulb Re: How to buy a car from out of state?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOut View Post
So when buying a car sight unseen, the seller can just sign the title, leave it in the glove box and I can have a shipper pick up the car? There are a couple of cars about 200 miles away in Ohio that I might go look at and tow back if I like them. Can I just pay the cash, get a bill of sale and signed over title and be on my way?
Bill,

First off, if someone wants you to do a build have them buy the car
and have it delivered to your shop to have the work done ....

Never ship a title with a car ....

Never buy a car with an open title

Just yesterday - I dealt with:

Guy bought a muscle car thru ebay - not directly - after the auction
ended.

Guy turned around and sold it to a " friend " before he had even paid
for it or took possession of it.

Guy called me acting as the owner trying to arrange transport
to his " friend " he sold the car to on Monday.

Then he called again on Tuesday ....

The current owner where the car sits called me Tuesday asking
" when am I going to pick up the car Wednesday ? ".

After I long phone discussion, things became clear:

A car dealer bought the muscle car - flipped it before he even
paid for it - tried to have the Seller make the title out to the
party the car dealer sold it to ....

Bad idea ....

The current owner would end up closing out a title to someone
he never had any communication with or received any money from.

The current owner has no idea how his car was represented by
the car dealer to this third party.

The current owner received no money from this third party,
so if the third party was unhappy with the car .....

The current owner is up a creek.

I advised the current owner to close out the title in the name
of the car dealer and have the car dealer worry about the
title issue with the person the car dealer sold it to ...

Always close out a title when you sell a car, especially to
a buyer out of state.

Never buy a car with an open title, you never know how many
times the car has been bought and sold before you purchased it.

Jim

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 13, 9:46 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Cory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enclosed Muscle Transport View Post

Jim
My interpretation of an open title is one that has been signed by the registered owner but without identifying a buyer. Where is the risk in that?

What does it matter how many times it was bought and sold with the title in that "open" condition?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 13, 7:15 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

Jim (EMT) is right.I always check the title, and register it in my name. Many sellers want to see that the title matches the numbers on the vehicles, and the name on the ID matches the name on the title.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 13, 5:48 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enclosed Muscle Transport View Post
Bill,

First off, if someone wants you to do a build have them buy the car
and have it delivered to your shop to have the work done ....

Never ship a title with a car ....

Never buy a car with an open title

Just yesterday - I dealt with:

Guy bought a muscle car thru ebay - not directly - after the auction
ended.

Guy turned around and sold it to a " friend " before he had even paid
for it or took possession of it.

Guy called me acting as the owner trying to arrange transport
to his " friend " he sold the car to on Monday.

Then he called again on Tuesday ....

The current owner where the car sits called me Tuesday asking
" when am I going to pick up the car Wednesday ? ".

After I long phone discussion, things became clear:

A car dealer bought the muscle car - flipped it before he even
paid for it - tried to have the Seller make the title out to the
party the car dealer sold it to ....

Bad idea ....

The current owner would end up closing out a title to someone
he never had any communication with or received any money from.

The current owner has no idea how his car was represented by
the car dealer to this third party.

The current owner received no money from this third party,
so if the third party was unhappy with the car .....

The current owner is up a creek.

I advised the current owner to close out the title in the name
of the car dealer and have the car dealer worry about the
title issue with the person the car dealer sold it to ...

Always close out a title when you sell a car, especially to
a buyer out of state.

Jim
Your statement about NEVER buying a car with an open title rings true with me. The entire concept of the "open" title gives me the creeps. Imagine having a ton of money in a resto and finding some issue in the cars ownership history when ya head down to the DMV to register your Hot Rod or when you try to sell the car? Talk about "holding the bag"!!!!!

Perhaps because I never had an experience (good or bad) with open titles the entire idea is just foreign to me. As you point out...who knows how many times a car has changed hands and more importantly what the circumstances of those changes of ownership were.

I would not do it on a bet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2344 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.