HELP ENCLOSED transport from the Midwest to California - Chevelle Tech
Misc (NON CHEVELLE AUTOMOTIVE TECH) This section is for the Non-Chevelle Related automotive questions/answers or discussion.

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 20, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage
HELP ENCLOSED transport from the Midwest to California

Hey everyone, hoping to get a little help from the group. I have recently had my '68 Chevelle SS fully restored and after several years of work (and new paint) I'm ready to transport her from the midwest (Kansas) to California (Los Angeles area).

I am wanting to do this via enclosed trailer. Would love to hear anyone's suggestions (as well as reviews if you've dealt with anyone) regarding enclosed transport. I'm already fully aware of Jim at Truly Vintage, but to put it mildly, he seemed to have little to zero interest in doing something like this, so that isn't even an option.

Thanks in advance for any help or recommendations you may have!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 20, 11:18 AM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage
Re: HELP ENCLOSED transport from the Midwest to California

Bear in mind that many "car shippers" you see advertising on the interweb are nothing more than middlemen. They take your order and then sell your order to a driver. They want to make money and they don't care about anything else.

Therefore, you need to be really careful in choosing a shipper.

Our You Tube Vids:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 20, 12:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

I've used Reliable a few times with no issues.

Not cheap, but they are RELIABLE.

Calidreamin3 and Pats70ss like this.

Mike

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

AACA Senior Grand National
Good Guys Muscle Car of the Year Finalist

Eckler's Winternationals Platinum 1000 pts
2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional 1000 Point Award

NPD Choice Award All GM Oktoberfest
6 times Concours d'Elegance Best in Class

MCC Platinum & 2 times People's Choice Award & Carolina Chevelle Club Best in Show

2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional "Dean Call Award"
2015 OPGI Original Restored Award

MCACN Gold

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 20, 1:09 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Haven't ever heard anything but good about Reliable.
Calidreamin3 likes this.

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 20, 3:44 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

I'll give reliable a ring. I'm aware of the whole "middle man" issue. That's why I'm trying to get references for direct contact haulers. I do not want to use a broker. I've waited too long and put too much into this car to "hope" that I get someone worthwhile that can haul it.
LeoP likes this.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 20, 3:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidreamin3 View Post
I've waited too long and put too much into this car to "hope" that I get someone worthwhile that can haul it.
There you go.

Precious cargo.
Calidreamin3 likes this.

Mike

My

MCC Platinum & 2 times People's Choice Award & Carolina Chevelle Club Best in Show

MCACN Gold
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 20, 4:25 PM
Tech Team
John

The second picture looked as if you were watching your baby being driven away....
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 20, 4:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTJOHN View Post
The second picture looked as if you were watching your baby being driven away....
That was the previous owner, crying.......

Mike

My

MCACN Gold
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 20, 5:34 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SHEVL View Post
That was the previous owner, crying.......

Roughly what did Reliable charge for transport and what type of distance was your shipment?
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 7:40 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidreamin3 View Post
Roughly what did Reliable charge for transport and what type of distance was your shipment?
Denver to Fort Lauderdale door-to-door was $1,900.

This car needed to be winched in and out, so I'm not sure if that affected the price either way.

Mike

My

MCACN Gold
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:02 AM
Senior Tech Team

Can help some maybe?

Just had "classic" '52 Ford delivered from Florida to Long Island, N.Y.

Chose to use "Intercitylines" enclosed transporters. Excellent all-around service, ride arrived condition-wise just as it left Florida.

You don't pay "up-front", you pay when the ride arrives at your location, safe & sound! This feature I definitely liked!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Cost me $1800.00 for the delivery and I felt very comfortable choosing them! Here's a couple shots of it all happening! If you'd like to speak with them ask for Matt M., his number is 1-800-221-3936
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200711_105024_HDR.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	634964   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200711_103622_HDR-1.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	634966  
69SHEVL and LeoP like this.

Sept. 2019 Drag-Week Winner - N.Y. Legal Streeter - 1956 Chevy Bel-Air 7.23 @ 196+ @ 3800#
Best time to date-11/2019 7.00 @ 204+ @ 3800#
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:45 AM
Tech Team

Garage

Here's another vote for Reliable. The husband-wife driving team that picked up my El Camino in South Carolina also delivered it to Houston. In January 2017 it cost $1340. Very professional.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ELCO Slide 013.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	634968  
69SHEVL and LeoP like this.

'65 El Camino - LS3
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:54 AM
Senior Tech Team

Another enclosed option that isn't a broker is Plycar. They own & operate all their trucks. They just picked up a '69 Corvette that my cousin bought in Phoenix, going to Long Island. Same enclosed rig that Reliable uses...cost was $2200.
LeoP likes this.

64 2 door Wagon Build thread

67 2 door Sedan LS1 T56

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 4:59 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOSFAST View Post
Can help some maybe?

Just had "classic" '52 Ford delivered from Florida to Long Island, N.Y.

Chose to use "Intercitylines" enclosed transporters. Excellent all-around service, ride arrived condition-wise just as it left Florida.

You don't pay "up-front", you pay when the ride arrives at your location, safe & sound! This feature I definitely liked!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Cost me $1800.00 for the delivery and I felt very comfortable choosing them! Here's a couple shots of it all happening! If you'd like to speak with them ask for Matt M., his number is 1-800-221-3936
Thanks. I actually reached out to them yesterday, so we will see what they say as well. Good to have a recommendation from someone on here as I've heard good things on them.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 5:00 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete 67 View Post
Another enclosed option that isn't a broker is Plycar. They own & operate all their trucks. They just picked up a '69 Corvette that my cousin bought in Phoenix, going to Long Island. Same enclosed rig that Reliable uses...cost was $2200.
I'll check them out. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in