Team Chevelle banner

Garage floor coating

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Shane 69 Hugger 
#1 ·
Last year I decided that my classic cars needed a beautiful home. I decided to fix up my garage. I decided to have a coating applied to the floor. I thought I had done my research so I contacted Gorilla Garage. I liked what the salesman told me and I especially like that the company provided a lifetime warranty. After less than one year a large yellow spot appeared on the floor. There was no leakage from the rear of my 70 Chevelle parked above the spot. Even if there was it was supposed to be covered under warranty. To make a long story short I contacted the business and received the run around. They sent an employee who inspected and told me that it was a warranty issue and his boss would call. No calls. I reported this to the Better Business Bureau. Gorilla Garage responded to my complaint and as you can guess was totally untruthful.
The purpose of this post is to warn others about Gorilla Garage. My garage floor was very expensive. You don't always get what you pay for

#2 ·
Epoxy after acid washing is the only way to go. I used the stuff from Griot’s Garage and it’s been perfect for 16 years! Sadly, they don’t offer it anymore but there are other epoxies out there. It’s labor intensive but it lasts!

#5 ·
The industrial epoxy systems that hold up to fork lift traffic involve getting a “profile” on the concrete. This is accomplished by roughing up the surface with shot blasting and grinding. Then self level 2 part epoxy systems are applied.

And that floor looks awesome!!!

#6 ·
I did my floor, but I didn't want to worry about having to be extra careful while I was working. So I used a Rust-Oleum floor paint as it was called. I topped it with a clear coat that was recommended on the can or website. The main reason I went with something cheaper than epoxy, was so that as I worked in my shop, if I messed up a spot, I could take a section of the floor, sand it, and recoat it without worry, or cost. I was worried about messing up a spot of epoxy, and having a bad spot that looked off if I repaired it. Seems to be working good for now, about 3 years in. And I was spot on, I have a few spots that I've hurt, but my shop is a 100% work shop. Welding, grinding, painting, car cleaning, chemicals, ect....It's not perfect, but at the time I did it, I had my daughters graduation party in my shop, so it looked pretty spiffy during that. Prior to painting the floor, it was about 12 different colors from overspray done by the previous owner.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.