89 Silverado temp problems - Chevelle Tech
Misc (NON CHEVELLE AUTOMOTIVE TECH) This section is for the Non-Chevelle Related automotive questions/answers or discussion.

3Likes
  • 2 Post By modern malibu
  • 1 Post By 71350SS

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 20, 3:37 AM Thread Starter

89 Silverado temp problems

Hey guys I'm new at this so please bare with me hoping I'm posting this in the right place lol but anyways I have a 89 Silverado 350 was told it it's a 355 when I bought it. So summer time with oem Thermo it would run 210 no problem never above or under winter time it bounced from 210 to 230 when it's like 40 degrees or colder so I had enough of it replaced the water pump checked again same prob then radiator and cap same problem then replaced the thermo with oem recommended 195 I also did both coolant sensors and put aftermarket gauge did not solve my problem. So I put a 160 in it and now when it's 40 degrees or colder it runs about 190-200 my heat isn't as hot but still enough to cook ya. now it's like 60 degrees outside this time year and it stays right at 210-212 any ideas? As of right now I'm just driving it cause to me 210-212 is a healthy temperature. But I'm wondering if I have a underlying problem that's under my nose that I don't know about? Oil looks good not leaking coolant of course but I just don't wanna take it to a shop cause I don't know what else they can do that I haven't. I do know that 160 thermo doesnt allow coolant really to stay in the radiator to cool down but right now it's solving my problem so I'm leaving it in there for now. If it ain't broke don't fix it and if it's fixed don't try to fix it more lol but in this case it's a weird situation I can't get answers from anyone the fan is also good shape everything is in good working order I just wonder since now it's 60 degrees outside and the temp is at normal operating temps makes me really concerned what it's gonna do in 90 degree or 100 degree weather I'm wondering if it's gonna keep going up with the outside temp cause that's what it's done now that's it's nicer out it runs a little hotter which is expected a little but 190 to 210 is a big jump in my opinion. If anyone can give me some pointers it be greatly appreciated thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 20, 8:30 AM
Senior Tech Team

If this is a computer controlled motor, won’t it stay on cold circuit as long as temp is “down” ?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 20, 12:34 PM
Tech Team
Mark

Garage
Re: 89 Silverado temp problems

I have seen the fan clutch cause cause this problem in the past. I just had one in my shop that would freewheel when the temps got up to normal. In this particular case the ac pressure would skyrocket and cause the compressor to lock up,throwing the ac belt off. Look very closely at the fan when hot.
71350SS and JChilders like this.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 20, 6:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by modern malibu View Post
I have seen the fan clutch cause cause this problem in the past. I just had one in my shop that would freewheel when the temps got up to normal. In this particular case the ac pressure would skyrocket and cause the compressor to lock up,throwing the ac belt off. Look very closely at the fan when hot.
I was thinking fan clutch as well given age of truck.

op how does the inside of the radiator look, has it ever been flushed or professionally cleaned out? Terry
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 20, 7:08 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Do you remember the part number of the water pump you installed and do you have a serpentine belt set up?

If you mixed a standard flow(direction) pump with a serpentine belt system (requires a revers flow pump) or vice versa, you could have flow and cooling issues.

Fan clutch is also highly suspect.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 20, 10:10 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

Agree with above, was gonna post the same info!!

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 20, 12:07 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

OP says he replaced the radiator and the water pump.Since the problem keeps returning even with all those new parts I'm thinking this may be something that keeps staying the same.
To the OP : That engine has only 1 belt and it's a serpentine belt setup,is that correct ? What is the possibility that someone put the belt back on but in the wrong direction of rotation before you bought the truck? That is the only thing I can think of that even if you installed a new belt, it would get put back on the same way that it came off.
It is possible to install a serpentine belt the wrong way and it will spin the W/P backwards.Look under the hood for a decal with rotation direction or an raised area on the fan shroud showing belt routing direction.
If the belt is installed right,have you tried flushing the engine block with a garden hose.
(but only after you responsibly drain the anti freeze into a pail)
LeoP likes this.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
"I would rather have questions I can't answer than have answers I can't question" :R.Feynman
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 20, 8:59 PM
Senior Tech Team

unsure of the question. Seems like it always runs 200-210? Thats about where they are supposed to.

If you want it cooler get a flex fan with no clutch.

Quote:
Freedom is not caring what others think of you
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 20, 10:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuisinartvette View Post
unsure of the question. Seems like it always runs 200-210? Thats about where they are supposed to.

If you want it cooler get a flex fan with no clutch.

A flex fan with no clutch won't help. They came from the factory with a clutch/fan and that setup worked great, I owned a 90 V1500 Blazer and the factory setup worked great!!

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Today, 5:21 AM
Gold Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Builtchevytough View Post
I also did both coolant sensors and put aftermarket gauge did not solve my problem... ...and it stays right at 210-212 any ideas?
WHERE is the sending unit for the new gauge? IF it's in the cylinder head, you can expect it to read 10+ degrees too high.

As others have said, inferior or wrong water pump, faulty gauge(s), faulty fan clutch. Also all the usual suspects--bad engine tune, dragging brakes, missing air dam or damaged fan shroud, missing seal at back of hood, the list goes on and on and on.

I would put a scan tool on the thing and see what shows up in the data stream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Builtchevytough View Post
I do know that 160 thermo doesnt allow coolant really to stay in the radiator to cool down
Bullhsit. Someone's been lying to you.

For the good of the Free World, DEMAND COMPENSATION FROM CHINA for their release of an engineered virus from their Wuhan laboratory. Two trillion to start with, increasing as needed from there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in