'14 Terrain brakes - Chevelle Tech
Misc (NON CHEVELLE AUTOMOTIVE TECH) This section is for the Non-Chevelle Related automotive questions/answers or discussion.

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 20, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage
'14 Terrain brakes

My daughter (28) that lives about 900 mi. away called me today and has a problem with her '14 GMC Terrain it's brakes and making a clunking/clacking noise? she had the front brakes done at the dealership last year $2K but rears done local IIRC $600 now the brakes are screwed up on the front we think and showing this code that I'll post, but it's a front wheel drive car and the dealership did the front brakes, I asked how many miles ago because I think they would need to fix it if within certain miles? but if they wont what would you guy's think this code means and how do I help get it fixed? BTW she's in Murry Ky. and I'm in Fl., glad to pay a member to do this since she'
s been screwed over with the dealership, they told her new premium pads squeak @ $2,000, I can't get up there but told her to get her receipt for the front brake job, check the miles at time of repair and what it is now, maybe warranty? or if a member knows a good shop local to her?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1502 (1).jpg
Views:	18
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	614728  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 20, 11:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

Re: '14 Terrain brakes

Good luck Rick!

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 20, 8:41 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

That could be anything. She needs to go to an autozone or other parts house that will scan the codes and give her a printout.

My wife has the same exact car. We haven't had any problems with the brake but her VVT (Variable valve) solenoids have gone out that I've replaced. They put some weird warnings on the display when they went out.

*EDIT* I'd love to see that receipt to find out why it cost $2k for the front brakes. There must have been more work done that she may have glanced over?

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 20, 8:58 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
That could be anything. She needs to go to an autozone or other parts house that will scan the codes and give her a printout.

My wife has the same exact car. We haven't had any problems with the brake but her VVT (Variable valve) solenoids have gone out that I've replaced. They put some weird warnings on the display when they went out.

*EDIT* I'd love to see that receipt to find out why it cost $2k for the front brakes. There must have been more work done that she may have glanced over?
I agree $2000 is insane, even $600 is crazy. Even on my Challenger with $700 apiece 15.4" 2 piece front rotors, I'd never hit $2k.
But first thing I would do is pull each wheel and look at the wheel speed sensors, use something like a brass brush on the stepped wheel things to clean off rust flakes.
ABS and Stabilitrak rely on knowing how fast each wheel is.
Also look hard at whatever end the noise is coming from.
LeoP likes this.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 20, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

Thanks guys, she's dropping it off at the dealership that did the front brakes and yes she knows they screwed her on the $2,000 front brake job less than a year ago, another small repair shop closer to her did the rears for $600, that even seems high to me but I don't know anything about the newer cars, my old mechanic did the front brakes on my 05 chevy express 2500 for about $200 a few years ago but she's a girl that doesn't even look old enough to drive so they take advantage of that, she just texted me " I called my car dealership they said the front brakes and ABS have nothing to do together" I thought ABS was part of the brake system? Antilock Braking System

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 20, 11:55 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

They do and don't at the same time..

On the newer GM vehicles there's a speed sensor at each hub. Some are exposed to the elements, others are sealed inside the bearing assembly. The speed sensor is just a hall effect sensor (coil of wire) placed closed to the hub. The hub has teeth or metal stubs that look like teeth on a gear. When these teeth pass by the sensor it changes the inductance of the coil which creates an electric pulse. The ECM reads that pulse and can determine how fast each wheel is going at any given time. If there's a difference in speed it will activate the ABS. It pulses the brake fluid so your tires don't lock up when you stand on the pedal.

I think bottom line, she's telling them there's mechanical noise, so they're saying it's not related to ABS as there's no moving parts down @ the wheel.

I wish her the best, but I would persuade her to find another place to take her vehicle given that original receipt total.. Still, would like to see what they charged her for..
LeoP, davewho1 and shovelrick like this.

*Jeff*

LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 20, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

Thank you for the explanation, I don't know crap about the new stuff and really hate seeing her get screwed by these jerks, I'll have her send me a copy of the reciept

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 20, 12:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

If the dealership did truly rip her off, a call to the regional manager can possibly get them into trouble with GM. I would pursue it. The front coated AC Delco rotors from Rockauto are only $42 each. AC Delco front pads - $41. If all they did was a brake job, the cost should have been less than $500 - even at the dealership. I would have her send you a copy of the receipt - then you can see what they did, and if a complaint to the regional manager is warranted.

The rear brakes cost even less to do. The rear rotors - coated AC Delco - are $31. The pads - AC Delco - are $41. These prices are for a Terrain 2WD with the 2.4 engine - I don't know if the V6 models use different parts, but I doubt that they do. I get rotors and drums machined around here for $10 each.

I know that shops have some overhead and that local parts houses charge more for the parts, but I just feel that many shops today are taking advantage of people (notice I said many - not all - there are some good shops, but they are getting hard to find). Just a transmission fluid/filter change on a 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer around here is over $200. $45 for fluid (Autozone - less if you buy it from Walmart), and $24 for a filter/gasket ($34 for the AC Delco part). Maybe a 30 minute job.
davewho1, shovelrick and Hotwire like this.

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 20, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

I can't remember the month last year when she had the brakes done but she's going to send me a copy some time today, she's at work at CVS now but for some reason I can't remember the small local shop didn't want to or didn't know how? to do her front brakes, IIRC it needed need rotors and again IIRC they couldn't get the correct ones, don't know why they couldn't get something from the dealer parts dept. but maybe I'm not remembering right? I'll ask her later when she's off work, I did tell her if it's not getting fixed under warranty don't let them fix it, and thanks again for the help or suggestions guys or gals that might read this

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 20, 1:11 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Good luck to both of you Rick!

I'm hoping the receipt somehow justifies the cost, if not, batter up!!
shovelrick likes this.

*Jeff*

LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 20, 3:10 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

What may have happened is something else up front, like struts/shocks or maybe wheelbearing assembly. And probably purely as a "while we have it apart, there really isn't any point putting it back together with used parts, they could fail" scare tactic.
When Midas got investigated about scamming for unneeded work, I wish they would do dealerships as well. It needs some oversight, NOT Government, but maybe some volunteer work for us older guys, peer review type of thing.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 20, 6:47 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

She called me earlier while she was on break, she dropped it off at the shop that did the rear brakes I said why? she said she'd have to make an appt. with the dealer and they want $160 to check it out, I said did you tell them they recently did the brakes? she said yes but the other shop only wanted $60 to check it out and that would go towards repair if she has them do it, the dealership $160 was plus repair, again I said but they did the work where you said the noise is coming from it should be repaired at no cost unless it's something else, and after thinking about it I'm sure they're going to say it's nothing they did and sell her some BS, man I really wish she wasn't that far away but she really loves living there, I was there in oct. but no problems then but that's how it goes, she left the 2K receipt in the car but when she goes there she's taking a pic and sending it to me then I'll post it

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 20, 12:02 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

I also think it could be the ABS system involved, the tone ring(the toothed wheel the sensor reads) could be packed with rust and the system sees a fault. There was a recall on the full size trucks back in about 03-04 for just that possible problem!
shovelrick likes this.

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 20, 6:34 AM
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakkoWarner View Post
If the dealership did truly rip her off, a call to the regional manager can possibly get them into trouble with GM. I would pursue it. The front coated AC Delco rotors from Rockauto are only $42 each. AC Delco front pads - $41. If all they did was a brake job, the cost should have been less than $500 - even at the dealership. I would have her send you a copy of the receipt - then you can see what they did, and if a complaint to the regional manager is warranted.

The rear brakes cost even less to do. The rear rotors - coated AC Delco - are $31. The pads - AC Delco - are $41. These prices are for a Terrain 2WD with the 2.4 engine - I don't know if the V6 models use different parts, but I doubt that they do. I get rotors and drums machined around here for $10 each.

I know that shops have some overhead and that local parts houses charge more for the parts, but I just feel that many shops today are taking advantage of people (notice I said many - not all - there are some good shops, but they are getting hard to find). Just a transmission fluid/filter change on a 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer around here is over $200. $45 for fluid (Autozone - less if you buy it from Walmart), and $24 for a filter/gasket ($34 for the AC Delco part). Maybe a 30 minute job.
Yep I replaced the front rotors and pads on a '12 Equinox (Chevy version of Terrain) using those exact parts from Rock Auto. Cost me around $140 total and I was done in about 2 hours, including gravity bleeding.
shovelrick likes this.

von '69 Malibu Team Chevelle Member #15

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 20, 8:53 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

I just left a message with her at 7am to ask if she heard anything back but haven't heard from her yet, she's supposed to drive to S Atlanta to do the kid exchange with her ex (whole reason she's up there and ex moved back here ) so I'm hoping I can somehow help to get this fixed, really all I can do is try to steer her right and send $, I'm going to send her the parts cost that was posted and of course labors involved but they can't expect to retire from fixing her car lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in