Sirius XM Radio Scam - Chevelle Tech
Misc (NON CHEVELLE AUTOMOTIVE TECH) This section is for the Non-Chevelle Related automotive questions/answers or discussion.

30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 19, 9:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage
Sirius XM Radio Scam

We have two cars that have factory radios that are compatible to get Sirius XM stations. When we first bought them we got a years subscription for free on both of them. After the subscriptions ended the price is so high that I refuse to pay the price. Every once in awhile you will hear that they have a week or two of free listening just tune your radio to SM stations but when I put the radio on the SM channels it says you have no subscription. Well they just had one of these free listening periods and I got the same message you have no subscription so I decided to call Sirius and after a run around they said my radio doesn't apply to get the free listening period but they could hook me up with a subscription. Has anyone else run into this same thing that the free listening period is not free on your radio.
Molly's 70 and N258RE like this.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 19, 10:56 PM
Tech Team
Chuck

Garage
I don’t subscribe anymore to Sirius XM anymore on my two vehicles that had it when I bought them new. But when they send a notice that the service will be back on for a period of time, it is. It works, I listen, don’t renew, and it’s all good. Not a scam as far as I know.
HKalin likes this.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 19, 1:04 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Re: Sirius XM Radio Scam

I pay $99.00 a year for SIRIS in my Silverado..............?
Bob
HKalin likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 19, 1:41 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

Hank, I've had the same experience you have. I don't care if I have it or not. Same with On Star.

If I did a lot of highway driving, I might change my mind.
HKalin likes this.

If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 19, 2:39 AM
Tech Team
Greg

So how is this a scam, because you don’t get something for free. If anything those of us who subscribe are getting scammed. If you want the service then pay for it, if you don’t want the service what exactly is the issue.

Life is too short for caring about every bodies else's stuff
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 19, 5:58 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

My son in law has it in His Camaro SS and his wife's Durango. Every year he says they try to jack up his rate, he calls and tells them to cancel it and they agree to renew for the same original fee.

66 Malibu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 19, 6:20 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grock-co View Post
So how is this a scam, because you donít get something for free. If anything those of us who subscribe are getting scammed. If you want the service then pay for it, if you donít want the service what exactly is the issue.
I didn't think I was talking to a rock to have to explain it to you that they make it sound like during the free listening period everybody can listen for free by just tuning to the SM channels but then they tell you your radio isn't eligible when you call in about it and then are told we can sell you a subscription then that's a ''SCAM" to me. You can call me cheap but not everyone has the luxury or do they want to throw $20 a month towards listening to SM channels. Maybe you right you are getting scammed especially if you find out you can get it for $5 a month instead of the rip off price of $20 a month.
Molly's 70, boyd66k20 and 68-13427 like this.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 19, 7:48 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKalin View Post
I didn't think I was talking to a rock to have to explain it to you that they make it sound like during the free listening period everybody can listen for free by just tuning to the SM channels but then they tell you your radio isn't eligible when you call in about it and then are told we can sell you a subscription then that's a ''SCAM" to me. You can call me cheap but not everyone has the luxury or do they want to throw $20 a month towards listening to SM channels. Maybe you right you are getting scammed especially if you find out you can get it for $5 a month instead of the rip off price of $20 a month.
My wife got it on my phone and got me a blue tooth thing to plug into the cigarette lighter.

It plays in all the cars, trucks and warehouse radio through the regular radio and speakers. (And charges the phone, too.)

Don't feel bad, I'm cheap too.

Sixties on six, Ozzy's Boneyard
HKalin and sstom66 like this.

Mike

My

AACA Senior Grand National
Good Guys Muscle Car of the Year Finalist

Eckler's Winternationals Platinum 1000 pts
2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional 1000 Point Award

NPD Choice Award All GM Oktoberfest
6 times Concours d'Elegance Best in Class

MCC Platinum & 2 times People's Choice Award & Carolina Chevelle Club Best in Show

2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional "Dean Call Award"
2015 OPGI Original Restored Award

MCACN Gold
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 19, 9:47 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

Try Pandora it's free and has a pay option if you want better options, I used to pay for SX but wasn't worth $99 IMO
67-468, HKalin and 68-13427 like this.

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 19, 10:00 AM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

I just cut the cord on Sirius/XM. I find myelf listening to Pandora with much greater satisfaction.
HKalin, Molly's 70 and shovelrick like this.

Mencken: ďThe whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.Ē
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 19, 11:34 AM

Garage

Pandora was purchased by sirius/xm, I'm sure they are looking for ways to eliminate the competition.........
HKalin likes this.

'69 Yenko clone
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 19, 12:14 PM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by N258RE View Post
Pandora was purchased by sirius/xm, I'm sure they are looking for ways to eliminate the competition.........
When Pandora no longer has a free version Iíll check out
Spotify.
iHeartRadio.
Mixclouds.
Grooveshark.
Deezer.
LAST.FM.

Iím old school and believe my music purchases over the last 53 years should count for something. Iíve got close to 4,000 titles in my own digital collection. Thereís several ďstapleĒ albums that Iíve purchased on vinyl, 8 track, cassette and CD. Iíve even gone backwards and been collecting old vinyl country records which I am digitizing.

My advice to Sirius is to understand that people have choices to make to ensure there is perceived value. You may hook us on the introductory offering in new cars and have our credit card to rely on leveraging that position to keep subscribers. However everyone comes around to eventually deciding their own value proposition.

A little off topic too but Iíve had it with cable companies. Their advantage is to offer programming that you canít get free anywhere.
HKalin, shovelrick and N258RE like this.

Mencken: ďThe whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.Ē
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 19, 3:03 PM
p40
Tech Team
butch

Garage

hank i use to have sirius radio and when i heard it was free i drug my reciever out of the closet hooked up and it didnt work either no big deal . i used to have sirius radio and when i would want to cancel out they would find deals like 5 months for 25 dollars
HKalin likes this.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 19, 3:25 PM
Tech Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grock-co View Post
So how is this a scam, because you donít get something for free.
Zactly
HKalin likes this.

'69 Malibu
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 19, 4:14 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Isn't that called Bait And Switch?
HKalin, boyd66k20 and 68-13427 like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in