Team Chevelle banner

Equinox Soft Brake Pedal

7K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  SSR71 
#1 ·
I replaced the front brake rotors and pads on my wife's 2012 Chevy Equinox. I installed AC Delco rotors and Wagner pads. I opened bleeder screws when compressing caliper pistons. Gravity bled for about 20 min when through. It stopped fine with little pedal travel but if pushed hard pedal goes almost to floor. I then bled the old way with asst pushing pedal while I opened and closed the bleeder. It didn't help. I didn't bleed the rears since I didn't touch them. I'm guessing maybe air in the ABS module but no light on. Any tips before I take it to a shop?

#3 ·
I saw that but chose to ignore it since only one person suggested it. I watched a U Tube video of a shop mechanic flushing the fluid of entire system of a 2012 Equinox and bled it using the old fashioned asst pushing pedal method.

#4 ·
I flushed the brake system on my 04 Duramax by vacuuming the bleeders one at a time, worked OK. Had a 95 1/2 ton never could get decent brakes on that, no matter how I did it.
FWIW I never open the bleeder to squeeze piston in, could overflow the master cly. by just forcing it back I guess.

#5 ·
No way to get air in modulator valve unless you bleed the master cylinder dry.,then you have to bleed everything.Low pedal on these is usually rear pads worn out or caliper pins seized.Make sure you never tore the seals on the front calipers.I never loosen any bleeders unless im doing a fluid flush.

#8 ·
Rear pads have plenty of thickness, as did the fronts. Only reason I changed the front rotors and pads is braking felt "rough" when braking from speed. Pedal only has been soft since I did the work.

#9 ·
The master cylinder must have went low,i would bleed the four brakes and try it again,if it still feels soft you will have to cycle the ebcm modulator valve with a scan tool and bleed the brakes again.Possible the master cylinder is bad to but not likely since it was ok before you loosened the bleeders.dot 3 fluid only.

#13 ·
I have always had a soft pedal on my SSR. This past summer it was worse than ever (likely because pads are finally getting worn). Pressure bleeding does a good job of flushing the system, but it never quite resolved the soft pedal. Saw a video on using a scan tool to cycle the ABS pump... so I decided to try that. Sure enough, bleed, ABS cycle, then followed by another bleed gave me a much better pedal. I'll likely do it again next spring. Maybe then it'll behave like I feel it should.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.