Equinox Soft Brake Pedal - Chevelle Tech
Misc (NON CHEVELLE AUTOMOTIVE TECH) This section is for the Non-Chevelle Related automotive questions/answers or discussion.

8Likes
  • 2 Post By marcrose
  • 3 Post By BillK
  • 3 Post By von

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 19, 5:17 PM Thread Starter
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

Equinox Soft Brake Pedal

I replaced the front brake rotors and pads on my wife's 2012 Chevy Equinox. I installed AC Delco rotors and Wagner pads. I opened bleeder screws when compressing caliper pistons. Gravity bled for about 20 min when through. It stopped fine with little pedal travel but if pushed hard pedal goes almost to floor. I then bled the old way with asst pushing pedal while I opened and closed the bleeder. It didn't help. I didn't bleed the rears since I didn't touch them. I'm guessing maybe air in the ABS module but no light on. Any tips before I take it to a shop?

von '69 Malibu Team Chevelle Member #15
[img]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 19, 5:28 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

Re: Equinox Soft Brake Pedal

Key in the run position when bleeding? Might be just internet BS.

Jim

77 Monte
421 Profilers ported by Eric Weingartner, Straub HR 3200 conv. from Jake 200-4r w/ 3.73's
Machine work by Torvinen's machine
11.93 @ 112.7 & tuning
67 Imp.SS for the wife 275 hp 327-TH350
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 19, 6:06 PM Thread Starter
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 cruiser View Post
Key in the run position when bleeding? Might be just internet BS.
I saw that but chose to ignore it since only one person suggested it. I watched a U Tube video of a shop mechanic flushing the fluid of entire system of a 2012 Equinox and bled it using the old fashioned asst pushing pedal method.

[img]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 19, 7:16 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

I flushed the brake system on my 04 Duramax by vacuuming the bleeders one at a time, worked OK. Had a 95 1/2 ton never could get decent brakes on that, no matter how I did it.
FWIW I never open the bleeder to squeeze piston in, could overflow the master cly. by just forcing it back I guess.

Jim

77 Monte
421 Profilers ported by Eric Weingartner, Straub HR 3200 conv. from Jake 200-4r w/ 3.73's
Machine work by Torvinen's machine
11.93 @ 112.7 & tuning
67 Imp.SS for the wife 275 hp 327-TH350
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 19, 10:32 AM
Tech Team
autumngold

No way to get air in modulator valve unless you bleed the master cylinder dry.,then you have to bleed everything.Low pedal on these is usually rear pads worn out or caliper pins seized.Make sure you never tore the seals on the front calipers.I never loosen any bleeders unless im doing a fluid flush.
71350SS and LeoP like this.

1970 ls-5 numbers matching
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 19, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcrose View Post
No way to get air in modulator valve unless you bleed the master cylinder dry.,then you have to bleed everything.Low pedal on these is usually rear pads worn out or caliper pins seized.Make sure you never tore the seals on the front calipers.I never loosen any bleeders unless im doing a fluid flush.
I lubed the caliper pins with brake grease and inspected the seals. No tears.

[img]

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 19, 12:35 PM
Tech Team
autumngold

The rear pads and calipers give you a low pedal feel on these.have a quick check of the rear pad thickness and pins.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 19, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

Quote:
The rear pads and calipers give you a low pedal feel on these.have a quick check of the rear pad thickness and pins.
Rear pads have plenty of thickness, as did the fronts. Only reason I changed the front rotors and pads is braking felt "rough" when braking from speed. Pedal only has been soft since I did the work.

[img]

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 19, 9:29 AM
Tech Team
autumngold

The master cylinder must have went low,i would bleed the four brakes and try it again,if it still feels soft you will have to cycle the ebcm modulator valve with a scan tool and bleed the brakes again.Possible the master cylinder is bad to but not likely since it was ok before you loosened the bleeders.dot 3 fluid only.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 19, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

Quote:
The master cylinder must have went low,i would bleed the four brakes and try it again,if it still feels soft you will have to cycle the ebcm modulator valve with a scan tool and bleed the brakes again.Possible the master cylinder is bad to but not likely since it was ok before you loosened the bleeders.dot 3 fluid only.
Decided to take it to the repair shop Weds and have the system flushed and bled. If after that it still has the problem they should have any special procedures and tools to do it.

[img]

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 19, 4:38 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Von,
Last time I put pads on my Tahoe I could not get a good pedal no matter what I did. Took it to one of my customers shop and the used their power bleeder and it was like new again
David Bates, 71350SS and LeoP like this.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 19, 4:16 PM Thread Starter
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

Update; Took it to a repair shop and had the system flushed and power bled. All is well now.
David Bates, LeoP and davewho1 like this.

[img]

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 19, 11:14 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Kevin

I have always had a soft pedal on my SSR. This past summer it was worse than ever (likely because pads are finally getting worn). Pressure bleeding does a good job of flushing the system, but it never quite resolved the soft pedal. Saw a video on using a scan tool to cycle the ABS pump... so I decided to try that. Sure enough, bleed, ABS cycle, then followed by another bleed gave me a much better pedal. I'll likely do it again next spring. Maybe then it'll behave like I feel it should.

2017 SS
1972 El Camino Custom
2005 SSR 6-speed
1999 Silverado
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in