1994 Cavalier 2.2 leaking head gasket - Chevelle Tech
Misc (NON CHEVELLE AUTOMOTIVE TECH) This section is for the Non-Chevelle Related automotive questions/answers or discussion.

4Likes
  • 1 Post By BillK
  • 1 Post By B52bombardier1
  • 1 Post By BillK
  • 1 Post By BillK

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 19, 9:56 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

1994 Cavalier 2.2 leaking head gasket

If the head gasket is leaking towards the outside not into the oil..would this cause the engine to run hotter..?..seems like when going up a hill it heats up above normal..180 after it levels out returns to normal 180..fan kick on around 180 or so..

TC #0672
1972 SS 454 M22
"W " Code Midnight Bronze
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 19, 3:12 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Re: 1994 Cavalier 2.2 leaking head gasket

Yes ANY leak ANYWHERE on the engine will cause higher engine temps and overheating.Also most leaks like the one you describe not only leak outward but they suck air in as the temp rises and falls and the engine heats up and then cools down.
2 things seem out of normal.How is the head gasket leaking and not making smoke & steam as you drive? Are you talking about small drips and seepage ? that kind of leak can be fixed with a head gasket re-torque along with a coolant sealer if it hasn't been long since the last H-G repair.GM and others added the 4 brown pellet sealer with all their aluminum headed/cast iron block engines when they were brand new.
But if its a spraying coolant out the back of the block and over heating kind of leak then it's time to do the H-G over again.
The other thing is,if it runs 180* and the fan kicks on at that temp,that isn't normal.I worked on a lot of those era cars and most GMs of that era the fans kicked on at around 212-218* (some as high as 225*) as the engine's emissions were much lower at the higher temps.BUT for an older car about 10-15 degrees less may be better for its longevity or maybe not as engine wear can be accelerated at the lower temps.
Is it possible that someone added a fan switch that comes on at a lower temp.?
If you don't feel like doing the H-G repair over again why don't you look into the "Blue Devil" head gasket repair in the bottle ? I've used it on 2 cars plus one work truck that had a head gasket leak AND an intake gasket coolant leak.If you follow the directions to the letter it will seal that engine for you.One thing though ALL the anti-freeze must be removed and replaced with water or it won't work plus its a little pricey but it does work.Just one other choice for you.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
"I would rather have questions I can't answer than have answers I can't question" :R.Feynman
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 19, 6:40 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Andy

Not on a 2.2. I've literally done hundreds of those heads.

I would be popping off the water pump to make sure the impeller isn't rotten. If its good, replace it anyway. Make sure your stat is opening. Cooling fan has to run and push some air.

If I was a betting man I would bet if everything checks out, last centuries model Chebby might need a radiator.

And do the head gasket. those happy trails running down the oil draft tube aren't really happy.

Couple of junkers and a few clunkers.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 19, 9:16 AM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

The coolant leak itself wont make it run hot but if it is loosing coolant and gets low then it most certainly will run hot. Clean your off real good and put some die in the cooling system. I bet that half of those heads that I have seen that supposedly had leaking head gaskets were actually leaking from the flat plate that bolts to one end of the head. It starts leaking and the coolant runs around and looks like it is leaking out of the head gasket. Those heads also had a porosity issue in certain years. The aluminum casting was porous and after a while would start leakaing through the casting itself. That is usually around the spark plug area.

So your first step should be to clean everything up real good, put some die in the system and run it to see exactly where it is leaking from.

And please, no matter what anyone says, don't use the Blue Devil junk. When the head gasket starts to leak again and you have to fix it correctly your machine shop will cuss you while they are trying to get all of that hardened cement like junk out of the cylinder head and you will have to get it out of the rest of the cooling system.
Andy's Auto Repair likes this.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 19, 9:32 AM
Tech Team
Rick

There's a whole lotta' people out there that are believers in the Blue Devil juice for fixing head gasket leaks. When a head has already been tended to for leaks once or twice with a head gasket replacement, the economics of doing another attempt simply don't add up on some older vehicles.

It boils down (no pun intended) to scrapping the vehicle or trying something like Blue Devil. What would you suggest in this case?

Rick
71350SS likes this.

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 19, 4:36 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

The leak I can see is more of a seepage..just enough to look wet..and I can smell the anitfreeze when the vent is on..not enough to leave a puddle or wet spot on the ground..ill post a photo in awhile on it..my other cavalier the cooling fan hardly ever came on..it was totaled awhile back..same kind of car and engine..this temp gauge needle will go to 1/2 which I figure is 180 the fan kicks on..going up a hill the needle will climb past the 1/2 point fan is on..but after topping the hill and leveling out it goes back to 1/2 or alittle less..have someone who is going to put the head gasket on $250 which is a pretty good price..wonder if I should go ahead and replace the radiator/themastat and water pump? while they in in there?thanks for all the help

TC #0672
1972 SS 454 M22
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 19, 5:22 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit1978 View Post
The leak I can see is more of a seepage..just enough to look wet..
Make sure you check the end plate like I mentioned in my previous reply. How much coolant are you actually losing ? How often do you have to add it ?

Quote:
I figure is 180 the fan kicks
Most GM fans don't come on till about 230

Quote:
have someone who is going to put the head gasket on $250 which is a pretty good price.

Like I said, make absolutely certain it is the head gasket and not the end plate. I bet almost half of the 2.2 heads I have had brought to me because of "leaking head gasket" have had the end plate obviously leaking and there was nothing wrong with the head gasket. The plate probably takes 20 minutes or so to remove and put on a new gasket.

If you do end up needing the head gasket make sure they have the head resurfaced. They are always warped a little and pitted up. Does not make any sense to do all that work pulling it off and not giving the new gasket a fresh surface to seal on.
LeoP likes this.

Bill Koustenis
Waldorf Md

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Team Chevelle #100
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 19, 9:40 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

1 quart a week..I can smell it some when the vent is on..not enough to see any puddle under the car or any steam off the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
Make sure you check the end plate like I mentioned in my previous reply. How much coolant are you actually losing ? How often do you have to add it ?

Like I said, make absolutely certain it is the head gasket and not the end plate. I bet almost half of the 2.2 heads I have had brought to me because of "leaking head gasket" have had the end plate obviously leaking and there was nothing wrong with the head gasket. The plate probably takes 20 minutes or so to remove and put on a new gasket.

If you do end up needing the head gasket make sure they have the head resurfaced. They are always warped a little and pitted up. Does not make any sense to do all that work pulling it off and not giving the new gasket a fresh surface to seal on.

TC #0672
1972 SS 454 M22

Last edited by davewho1; Oct 15th, 19 at 4:19 PM. Reason: fixed quote
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 19, 9:50 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

end plate?photo of it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post

TC #0672
1972 SS 454 M22
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 19, 1:51 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

^^^ It's been a long time since I worked on one of these but it's on the drivers side of cylinder head there's a plate there that takes a gasket.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
"I would rather have questions I can't answer than have answers I can't question" :R.Feynman
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 19, 2:02 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

I dont have one here to take a picture of but in the picture below it would bolt to the side of the head shown. The large rectangular hole is a water passage. On the fwd cars there is a plate that blocks off that entire end of the head. They use these heads on the S-10 trucks also and that is where the thermostat hosing bolts on on those.
Attached Images

LeoP likes this.

Bill Koustenis
Waldorf Md

Team Chevelle #100
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 19, 2:28 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Went ahead and had the head gasket replaced..it was leaking at the drivers side front corner..didn't have any effect on the temp of the engine..My old car just like this one..stayed very cool and never hardly ever got over the 1/4 mark which is about 140 or so..I was told maybe the radiator might not be flowing well..it is the original brass one that came with the car

TC #0672
1972 SS 454 M22
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in