2000 Astro Van Pitman Arm Nut Size... - Chevelle Tech
Misc (NON CHEVELLE AUTOMOTIVE TECH) This section is for the Non-Chevelle Related automotive questions/answers or discussion.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Sep 12th, 19, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage
2000 Astro Van Pitman Arm Nut Size...

I have the unfortunate job of changing out the power steering gear on my mom's 2000 Astro van. Does anyone here know what size wrench/socket I need to get the pitman arm nut off with?? The Astro van site I am on has not been much help.

I also discovered once I had everything removed to get to the steering gear (air box, fan shroud, hoses, etc.), that the stupid power brake booster is also leaking. I think I invented some new swear words today...

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 12th, 19, 11:45 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
mike

Re: 2000 Astro Van Pitman Arm Nut Size...

11/4 I think, you will likely need a puller for that arm as well.
Old Sep 12th, 19, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmo55ss View Post
11/4 I think, you will likely need a puller for that arm as well.
My 1 1/4" wrench is too small.

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.

Old Sep 13th, 19, 1:50 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
mike

Sorry, been awhile, going from memory.
Old Sep 13th, 19, 5:37 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

36mm if I remember correctly.

Old Sep 13th, 19, 8:06 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmo55ss View Post
...you will likely need a puller for that arm as well.
And a torch, and a hammer, and planets to align properly, good luck!

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
Old Sep 13th, 19, 8:44 AM
Tech Team
Rick

It took a 40 ton hydraulic press to remove the Pitman arm when I did my 70 El Camino steering box. It just laughed at a 20 ton press.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
Old Sep 13th, 19, 6:13 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Andy

It's 1 5/16
71350SS likes this.

Couple of junkers and a few clunkers.
Old Sep 13th, 19, 8:42 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy's Auto Repair View Post
It's 1 5/16
Thanks. I found that out when I finally got the steering gear out of the vehicle (you have to remove it before you can take the pitman arm off). I just happened to have a socket that size, along with a 1/2" adapter. I actually took both steering gears to a machine shop that I use for brake rotors and drums. We got it removed from the old, installed on the new one, and I torqued it down (unfortunately, this resulted in my Craftsman Digitork torque wrench no longer clicking).

I got everything reinstalled and it all works (I had to change out the power brake booster, too, as it was leaking). So, new steering gear, new power brake booster, and 3 new power steering hoses. The down side is that the hose that goes from the booster to the steering gear is seeping just a tiny bit at the connection point. I am going to wait to put a new o-ring on it until it gets quite a bit cooler during the day. But, it is working, with no major leaks - I am calling it a victory.
LeoP and Andy's Auto Repair like this.

Old Sep 13th, 19, 9:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakkoWarner View Post
Thanks. I found that out when I finally got the steering gear out of the vehicle (you have to remove it before you can take the pitman arm off). I just happened to have a socket that size, along with a 1/2" adapter. I actually took both steering gears to a machine shop that I use for brake rotors and drums. We got it removed from the old, installed on the new one, and I torqued it down (unfortunately, this resulted in my Craftsman Digitork torque wrench no longer clicking).

I got everything reinstalled and it all works (I had to change out the power brake booster, too, as it was leaking). So, new steering gear, new power brake booster, and 3 new power steering hoses. The down side is that the hose that goes from the booster to the steering gear is seeping just a tiny bit at the connection point. I am going to wait to put a new o-ring on it until it gets quite a bit cooler during the day. But, it is working, with no major leaks - I am calling it a victory.
Did you forget the idlers?
71350SS likes this.

Couple of junkers and a few clunkers.
Old Sep 13th, 19, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy's Auto Repair View Post
Did you forget the idlers?
I replaced both idler arms about a year ago with the Moog problem solver units.
LeoP likes this.

Old Sep 14th, 19, 12:02 AM
Administrator

Garage

I hate working on Astro vans. The company I worked for had several, one an AWD model. Nothing is easy to get to.

Team Chevelle Gold Founding Member #42

L29 454, 4L80E, 12 bolt posi 3.31, GM 4 wheel disc brakes
63 Nova wagon

Old Sep 14th, 19, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
I hate working on Astro vans. The company I worked for had several, one an AWD model. Nothing is easy to get to.
It is the bane of my existence. She is on a fixed income, so I have to keep it running as long as I can. The engine is fine, the transmission does its job, and the AC is cold. All of the interior plastics, however, are deteriorating. I may not be able to find that stuff much longer.

Old Sep 14th, 19, 8:24 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

Update: I popped the hood this morning and checked that connection - it was dry. All of the other connection points were dry as well. So, I think it may have been residual fluid on the thread from when I put the hose in. I will keep an eye on it, but I think it is leak free (for now).
LeoP likes this.

Old Sep 14th, 19, 11:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

Damn Brian, we just traded in our 2009 Grand Caravan with 171000 well kept miles on it and even though you live far away, it would have been a good one to get for your Mom. I did all the maintenance to it except the water pump, engine gaskets and front struts, they were done under warranty back in march. always a day late and a dollar short!!

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in