1962 Impala Wiring Question - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Misc (NON CHEVELLE AUTOMOTIVE TECH) This section is for the Non-Chevelle Related automotive questions/answers or discussion.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 19, 2:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Re: 1962 Impala Wiring Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcutlass View Post
Does your car still have an external regulator wired up? If so there needs to be some changes made first.
I hope I'm not speaking out of line here but the car that Daron Craig is working on would have been Generator equipped when first produced. At some point someone added an internally regulated alternator (see post #8) so I think what is really needed is an internally regulated alternator wiring diagram.
Plus a 62 Impala wiring diagram that shows the dashboard generator light and the ignition switch.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 19, 4:20 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Lightbulb Re: 1962 Impala Wiring Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71350SS View Post
I hope I'm not speaking out of line here but the car that Daron Craig is working on would have been Generator equipped when first produced. At some point someone added an internally regulated alternator (see post #8) so I think what is really needed is an internally regulated alternator wiring diagram.
Plus a 62 Impala wiring diagram that shows the dashboard generator light and the ignition switch.
You made me think about this and may be right. A lot of dash lights however did say Gen on them even if there was an alternator.
71350SS and LeoP like this.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 19, 4:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Daron

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcutlass View Post
Does your car still have an external regulator wired up? If so there needs to be some changes made first.
It does not. At least that I have found. Seems it was swapped over to the internal regulated before my brother in law bought the car.

1967 Chevelle SS
427 BBC
Straub Hydraulic Roller
Muncie 4 Speed

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 19, 8:50 PM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

Daron did the wiring ever work? What happened to it?

Mencken: “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 19, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Daron

Garage

The car ran about 10 years ago and it was disassembled to be refreshed. The entire car I mean. So, we are getting everything back together. Trying to freshen up the wiring and everything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1967 Chevelle SS
427 BBC
Straub Hydraulic Roller
Muncie 4 Speed
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 19, 11:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daron Craig View Post
Hey guys,

I have been helping my brother in law with his impala. It has a 350 non-original and a th350 trans. HEI distributor. The alternator has a 1 stud and a plug with 2 wires coming out of it. We are in the process of sorting out the original harness, but I was wondering if any of you guys had a simple diagram of how we can wire it to test fire it? Also, a simple wiring diagram of how the alternator, starter, and distributor need to be wired for final wiring. Thanks guys.
Was the Impala V8 or V6 originally?

There should be a thick wire running from the rear charging post of the alt. Where is that Wire currently running to? Does it go to the POSITIVE BATTERY TERMINAL POST CONNECTOR?

The way it is hooked up now will work and charge the battery. The problem is that the field wire (#1 on the alt) needs to be switched off by the ignition or accessory circuit or the field and regulator will remain energized with the engine off and the key off. This will be draining the battery anytime the engine is not charging. It has about a 4 amp draw so it won't take long to drain the battery.

You can clean up and simplify the wiring and make it work. If you want the gen light to function, we'll need to know first if the car has one or an amp gauge. Then we'll need to know what wiring still exists from the light to where the gen and regulator use to be. Get back to that later.

First, buy a new plug for that alt at the auto parts store. It's going to be really costly, about 3 bucks. The wire that goes to the #2 (sense line) terminal can simply be connected to the large alt output terminal with a crimp connector to the back of the alternator.

The number 1 wire can be connected in many ways but must be switched off when the ignition is off or you'll get that battery drain. This wire is the exciter wire and only needs to supply voltage to get the alt to start charging. Once it starts charging, it no longer needs power to that line. The alt produces its own and you'll see 12 volts to that line once the alt is charging.

It's entirely possible that you don't need to hook up this wire to get a charge out of the alt. Residual magnetism may allow the alt to start charging on its own without the wire. Sometimes you need to kick up the throttle to about 2000 rpm give or take and the alt will start charging. Some guys hook up a momentary switch to apply power. To me, all these methods are for Disney and Mickey Mouse.

The preferred method is to hook that #1 wire to the ignition switch through the indicator bulb or a 5 amp 50volt diode with the silver stripe of the diode facing the alt. The diode or lamp stop power from back feeding the ignition which would cause the engine to keep running when the key is turned to the off position. If using the bulb, if it burns out the alt will not start charging. So as a backup, we run a resistor in parallel to the lamp so if the lamp does burn out, the alt will still start charging.

You can buy the wire with the resistor pre installed from various sources. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alternator-...QAAOSwKtVWw5iq
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10 12 si indicator charge light diagram.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	603142  
Attached Images

post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 19, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Daron

Garage

My brother in law said it had a 327 and had just been swapped to a 350 when he bought it. As far as original, I have no idea. I do appreciate the info though. We'll get it fired up here shortly.

1967 Chevelle SS
427 BBC
Straub Hydraulic Roller
Muncie 4 Speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in