2013 Chevy Cruze AC Issue... - Chevelle Tech
Misc (NON CHEVELLE AUTOMOTIVE TECH) This section is for the Non-Chevelle Related automotive questions/answers or discussion.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By Philip
  • 2 Post By BillK

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 19, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage
2013 Chevy Cruze AC Issue...

My cousin just had the water outlet replaced on her 2013 Cruze. It is probably just a coincidence, but now the AC compressor will not engage. I checked the fuses today and they are all good. There is pressure in the AC system (maxed the low side gauge on my manifold set), and swapping relays around did not work. We had the car idling for a bit in the driveway (114 outside) and the cooling fan never came on. I did notice that the relay for the AC compressor clutch was pretty warm - the same relays for the cooling fan were not warm.

I could not locate a low pressure cut off switch (I was going to try and jumper it). If anyone has any ideas what might cause an issue like this, your input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 19, 12:39 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Re: 2013 Chevy Cruze AC Issue...

Can you check and see if the compressor is getting 12 volts ? Would they have to disconnect anything or move the compressor to get to the water outlet ?

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 19, 1:05 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
Can you check and see if the compressor is getting 12 volts ? Would they have to disconnect anything or move the compressor to get to the water outlet ?
Getting to the compressor is not the easiest. Nothing AC related had to be disturbed during the water neck work (they are at opposite ends of the engine from each other). The only thing that was unplugged for sure was a water temperature sensor, and possibly the O2 sensor.

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 19, 8:57 PM
Administrator

Garage

When you turn on the AC inside the car you are making a request to the PCM, not actually turning it on. If the fans are not coming on neither will the AC. Same with system voltage, if the PCM detects low voltage the AC will not work. Learned this the hard way working on my son's Firebird. Spent hours troubleshooting possible AC issues. The battery was starting to get low from all the starts, turned out the alternator was only keeping the battery at minimum charge. Charged the battery, replaced the alternator and the AC started working on it's own.
LeoP likes this.

Team Chevelle Gold Founding Member #42

L29 454, 4L80E, 12 bolt posi 3.31, GM 4 wheel disc brakes
63 Nova wagon

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 19, 9:40 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
When you turn on the AC inside the car you are making a request to the PCM, not actually turning it on. If the fans are not coming on neither will the AC. Same with system voltage, if the PCM detects low voltage the AC will not work. Learned this the hard way working on my son's Firebird. Spent hours troubleshooting possible AC issues. The battery was starting to get low from all the starts, turned out the alternator was only keeping the battery at minimum charge. Charged the battery, replaced the alternator and the AC started working on it's own.
The battery is relatively new, but I guess I can check to see what the voltage is, then start it up and see what the alternator voltage is. This car has the alternator with the 'clutch' on the pulley, so it is not engaged all of the time.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 19, 7:42 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

I'd troubleshoot the cooling fan issue first, maybe start with swapping relays around, or grabbing a few new ones.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 19, 8:28 AM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer4x4 View Post
I'd troubleshoot the cooling fan issue first, maybe start with swapping relays around, or grabbing a few new ones.

There might not be a problem with the cooling fan. In the newer cars there is no rhyme or reason as to when they come on. They are controlled by the various computers and might not be running when we think they should be.

What needs to happen is to get the proper service documentation and find out exactly what should be happening when you turn the AC on. Then troubleshoot it from there.
Philip and LeoP like this.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 19, 7:23 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakkoWarner View Post
...We had the car idling for a bit in the driveway (114 outside) and the cooling fan never came on...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
There might not be a problem with the cooling fan. In the newer cars there is no rhyme or reason as to when they come on. They are controlled by the various computers and might not be running when we think they should be.

What needs to happen is to get the proper service documentation and find out exactly what should be happening when you turn the AC on. Then troubleshoot it from there.
I get it, but idling in 114 temps should get it plenty hot for them to eventually kick on, I would think. Also probably a good idea to get a OBDII scanner and actually see the real temps reported to the car.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 19, 1:06 PM
Tech Team
Dan

Garage

probably half a dozen things need to be crossed off the list for that A/C to come on. Fans, coolant temp, low and high pressure switch...etc. Jumping a compressor these days isnt quite as easy as it used to be.
The "newest" car i had in a while was a 95 Impala SS. I know there where actually a couple different coolant sensors/switches and i think it was that one worked the fans, and the other was for the PCM. So maybe there is a temp switch they didnt connect back up after the repair?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 19, 9:51 PM
Tech Team
Alex

I had to replace the compressor on one not too long ago for a bad clutch. It was not a cheap one!

1969 Chevelle SS --- 468 FTI Level 4 TH400 AFR 290cc's
1997 S10 SS ---LQ9/4l65e
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 19, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

The compressor was bad. Her mom paid a shop to replace it (I think the cost was outrageous), so she has AC again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in