Blue smoke on start up - solutions in a bottle? - Chevelle Tech
Misc (NON CHEVELLE AUTOMOTIVE TECH) This section is for the Non-Chevelle Related automotive questions/answers or discussion.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 19, 8:31 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chuck

Garage
Blue smoke on start up - solutions in a bottle?

Our 2005 Toyota RAV4 with 2.4 engine pushes out a small cloud of blue smoke in the morning at start up. Has 115,000 miles, and has been maintained diligently since new. No noticeable blue smoke after that driving it the rest of the day. Oil consumption is a quart every 1000 miles or so. Been using 5w-30 synthetic oil.

I assume this is a valve seal problem. Leaks down into cylinders when cold at start up, and seals effectively when warm is my guess.

Anyone have any experience with an oil additive that helps heal the seals? Or a high mileage oil that may help? Should I switch to Dino oil from synthetic?

This RAV4 gets driven 3 or 4 thousand miles a year, it’s 14 years old, both which don’t justify putting in new seals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 19, 9:31 PM
Tech Team
Bill

Garage
Re: Blue smoke on start up - solutions in a bottle?

Change the seals. It is not that big of a job. A quart of oil in 1000 miles is a lot of oil getting burnt onto the valves, fouling the spark plugs, and going through the catalytic converter. You will cause bigger problems if it is not fixed.
427L88 likes this.

1969 Sport Coupe SS Tribute Cortez Silver 454 400TH
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 19, 11:59 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

You live in a hot area, bump up to 15/40 on your next oil change.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 19, 7:09 AM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SS454 View Post
Change the seals. It is not that big of a job.

Shopkey gives 11.5 hours to change seals. That is assuming that you have all of the Toyota special tools. Probably not a job to be attempted at home

I would take a look at all of the PCV system hoses etc first. A qt every 1000 miles seems to be getting more the norm now days, sad to say. I think it is more because of the very thin low tension rings that are being used to improve mileage. I dont see that many Toyota cylinder heads in the shop but most DOHC heads do not seem to have many problems with valve stem seals.

I dont know if the "High mileage" oils would really help anything or not. Same with switching to non synthetic.
71350SS likes this.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 19, 7:10 AM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTCH MAX HEADWORK View Post
You live in a hot area, bump up to 15/40 on your next oil change.

Not a good idea at all on a late model DOHC engine especially if it has variable valve timing.

Bill Koustenis
Waldorf Md

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Team Chevelle #100
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 19, 8:22 AM
Tech Team
Bill

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
A qt every 1000 miles seems to be getting more the norm now days, sad to say.
Really? What have you been driving? I have never owned a Toyota but no car I've ever had used that much oil after only 115,000 miles.

1969 Sport Coupe SS Tribute Cortez Silver 454 400TH
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 19, 8:56 AM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SS454 View Post
Really? What have you been driving? I have never owned a Toyota but no car I've ever had used that much oil after only 115,000 miles.

Bill,
Do some research and you will find that a lot of the late model cars are having oil consumption issues and the manufacturers are telling people that if it is a qt in 1K miles that it is not a problem. Not saying I agree with it but it is what I am seeing in the late model automotive industry. GM has been replacing rings on 5.3 engines for a couple of years now. Same deal with Honda my niece is having problems with hers at less than 100K miles.

I think it is the rings myself. They are pushing the limits on thickness and I think they start sticking in the ring grooves way quicker than normal especially when people do not use the correct oil and don't have it changed often enough.

For example the new Hemis use a 1.2 mm 1.2 mm 2.0 mm ring pack.
LeoP likes this.

Bill Koustenis
Waldorf Md

Team Chevelle #100
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 19, 9:02 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Try a qt. of Rislone by Shaler... Its the only snake oil I ever used that actually worked... Smokey even used it!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 19, 9:14 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chuck

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro462 View Post
Try a qt. of Rislone by Shaler... Its the only snake oil I ever used that actually worked... Smokey even used it!
To be clear, you had success with Rislone Engine Treatment? Asking because there is a Rislone Valve Seal Treatment product that costs quite a bit more.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 19, 9:25 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chuck

Garage

Owners manual indicates 5w-30 is the acceptable oil to use. Also states that 10w-30 can be added if 5w-30 is not available, but always use 5w-30 at oil changes.

That being said, I am tempted to switch to a 10w-30 high mileage dino oil to see if that helps. Where the RAV4 is located, Corpus Christi, TX, is quite warm, so 10w-30 might be ok?

The owners manual also indicates that excessive oil consumption is 1 quart of more per 600 miles.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 19, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Camino View Post
Owners manual indicates 5w-30 is the acceptable oil to use. Also states that 10w-30 can be added if 5w-30 is not available, but always use 5w-30 at oil changes.

The owners manual also indicates that excessive oil consumption is 1 quart of more per 600 miles.
I would say so on the 10-30, according to what I was told and I’m sure others will chime in the 5-30 is for the aid in cold start ups like up here in crooked politician land of Lincoln. I’m not sure if that’s the engine specs due to the materials or the weather temps..Or try the high mileage 5-30. I ran my 06 explorer on Castrol 5-30 from mile 8, put 199k on it, gave it to my kid, he drove it, sold it with 230, it’s still going today with 260k - 4.6 v-8. It had the cold piston slap and tiny puff on start up after 150k but once the aluminum warmed up in about a minute it went away.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 19, 1:41 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

High mileage oils have additives specifically engineered to swell seals. In your climate a change to 10w30 probably wouldn't hurt anything but I personally wouldn't do it because I don't think it would help. I would definitely try a one-time seal conditioner and use a high mileage synthetic oil going forward. I also agree that the PCV system should be scrutinized closely. Back when I was a tech for a Honda dealer in the early 2000s the Isuzu built V-6s in the Passports had a tendency to eat all the oil through a defective PCV valve. It was an epidemic. Probably not your problem since you get smoke on cold start but worth an inspection anyhow.
427L88 likes this.

70 Camino...Roller

69 Malibu Stock 307, Reverse Manual TH350, 4,500 Stall Edge Converter, 4.56 Spool 35 Spline 12 Bolt

76 C20 VortecPro 496 628HP 655 lb/ft TH400 Edge Converter, 4.10 14 bolt
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 19, 2:08 PM
Gold Member
Gene

Try a high milage synthetic BLend. Son#1 just bought a 2001 Tundra, which was run on Mob-1 syth, and has leaky valve cover gaskets. We havent done the gasket job yet, but switching to 5-30 Valvoline High Milage reduced the flow a bit to be sure. No more smell.

PS Tom, we just drove together to Denver where son #1 relocated. 85 octane? I didnt use it, but did call a CO-based engine guru (M Jones) and he said to run it. I've never seen 85 octane.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 19, 3:13 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Gene, we coulda had an oat soda while you were here. I've been at high altitude my whole life so 85 octane is the norm for me. I use it in everything but high performance stuff, including the wife's new Acura, and it's never an issue. I've even used it in a 12.5/1 compression bike engine on accident and never noticed a difference.

The MJ 496 on the other hand is really grouchy about gas. If the 91 that's in it gets more than a month old I get some rattle at low throttle acceleration. And it's very hard on tires, too. But that's way off topic.

70 Camino...Roller

69 Malibu Stock 307, Reverse Manual TH350, 4,500 Stall Edge Converter, 4.56 Spool 35 Spline 12 Bolt

76 C20 VortecPro 496 628HP 655 lb/ft TH400 Edge Converter, 4.10 14 bolt
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 19, 4:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

In addition to whatever oil you change to check to see if the PCV has been replaced ? On the 2.4L it just looks like it's a vacuum nipple so for whatever the reason sometimes they just get ignored.If its been in there awhile I'd put a new one in just for the heckavit.
Miguel Camino likes this.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in