Struggling w/ New Tech - Chevelle Tech
Misc (NON CHEVELLE AUTOMOTIVE TECH) This section is for the Non-Chevelle Related automotive questions/answers or discussion.

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 19, 6:18 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Craig

Struggling w/ New Tech

So weíve decided itís time to consider a new car, but quickly learned that most new cars now have an idle stop start feature which I strongly dislike. At first, I thought I could just disable the feature, but soon learned that you can only disable for the current drive cycle. What do you guys think of this feature? I guess Iím living in the past, but I think itís a show stopper for me.
Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 19, 9:49 PM
Tech Team

Re: Struggling w/ New Tech

My wifes new car has this feature and I really don't like it, I can disable it each time I drive it though

Jeff

67 Chevelle convertible Ly6 4l80e
68 Nomad Custom Wagon
70 Chevelle Convertible
71 SS 454 Chevelle LS5 W/Build Sheet
72 Chevelle Convertible RJ 502 TKO 600
73 El Camino SS

68 Buick Skylark LQ9 4L65E
72 buick GS 350

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 19, 10:34 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

We just got one with it, we just press the disable button. There is a kit that can be installed, but I'm sure it voids the warranty!

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 19, 11:20 PM
Tech Team
Greg

If that’s the design that’s the design, nobody has said what they dislike about it only that they dislike it. I don’t even notice this feature if it saves gas what do I care. Each to there own,

Life is too short for caring about every bodies else's stuff
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 19, 2:03 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grock-co View Post
If thatís the design thatís the design, nobody has said what they dislike about it only that they dislike it. I donít even notice this feature if it saves gas what do I care. Each to there own,

But does it really save gas? Feels like an idea some tree-hugger came up with just to satisfy their boss at the EPA.
CRV CRW likes this.

64 2 door Wagon Build thread

67 2 door Sedan LS1 T56

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 19, 8:57 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete 67 View Post
But does it really save gas? Feels like an idea some tree-hugger came up with just to satisfy their boss at the EPA.
https://youtu.be/dFImHhNwbJo
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 19, 9:52 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Not sure what idle stop is but I assume it shuts engine off when sitting at idle. My wife has a 2019 Accord and it does not have an idle stop. Also I dont drive it much but it is a pretty nice car
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 19, 12:00 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

Our 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee has this feature but you can disable it. Once you shut the motor off it resets back to the feature again. At first because your not used to it it's a pain in the a$$ but after a while you remember to hit the button as soon as you start the car. It may save gas but I would think it cuts down on the life of the starter.
LeoP and Molly's 70 like this.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 19, 6:28 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

My 2018 Cadillac XT5 has it. It doesn't use the battery, it uses capacitors that charge when coasting. It starts so fast it is almost transparent. As for life of components, that is what a warranty is for on new cars. The XT5 does not have a disable/override feature, BUT, you can beat it if you want to. When you come to a stop, if you creep and stop and creep again it won't shut off, like it thinks you are in a traffic jam. Also if you use the paddles when you come to a stop and force it into 1st (which it will be anyway) it won't shut off. And if it is shut off while sitting at a light, if you lift slightly on the brake you can dictate when it re-starts.
The only time I really notice it anymore is when it shuts off, and restarts at random while sitting at a red light. Typically on A/C days.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 19, 10:56 AM
Team Member
Lyle

This kind of "progress" is not for me. I don't even like cruise control. My wife likes her 04 Impala
so we are going to keep it as long as possible. She is used to it, we know where all the buttons are,
and I've done enough work on it to know pretty much where everything is. Bought the FSM for it
last fall, mostly for the wiring diagrams. Rented a Nissan last summer and fought it the whole trip.
Living in the past suits me just fine!
71350SS likes this.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 19, 7:04 PM
Tech Team
Greg

I for one can not wait for self driving cars, it can’t come soon enough. The tech is fascinating not to mention I can sleep on my one hour drive to work every morning. It should make the drive safer taking the human factor out of all the other drivers out there, because I am not the problem it’s everyone else.

But I suspect it is a long way off, probably not in my lifetime and the old timers resistance will be very high. Heck some won’t even use cruise control, makes you wonder how back in the day when the electric starters where first installed on cars. There was probably b!tching and whining then about what’s wrong with the hand crank, I guess somethings will never change.

Life is too short for caring about every bodies else's stuff
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 19, 7:24 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

I remember reading something about the start stop feature that the ECM remembers which cylinder is near TDC and holding compression just getting ready to fire and so when its time to restart the engine the ECM fires that cylinder first,thereby easing the burden of re-starting the engine for the starter motor.
FWIW it should help the starter last a little longer.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 19, 8:04 PM
Tech Team
Troy

I have a 2019 GMC Sierra that has Auto Stop. It really doesn't bother me after six month's driving the truck. I do shut it of in stop and go traffic, typically it is restarting just after shutting off.

66 CHEVELLE
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 19, 9:33 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

I have not driven anything yet with the start stop deal but I am not sure if I would like it. I am thinking of renting a car for a trip later this month so I might find out

I guess its being old school and wanting to be in control of the vehicle I am driving. I rarely use cruise control other than to give my leg a rest once in a while. I don't mind the rest of the technology at all except for the fact that it is making cars very difficult to repair when something goes wrong.
LeoP and lkmarsh like this.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 19, 6:54 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Another thing to remember about the new cars, starting is not like starting something in the old days. It is literally almost like turning them on, not starting. I would guess that they are running in ľ of a second. You lift off the brakes, and it is running before you tap the gas.
LeoP likes this.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in