Struggling w/ New Tech - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Misc (NON CHEVELLE AUTOMOTIVE TECH) This section is for the Non-Chevelle Related automotive questions/answers or discussion.

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 19, 8:03 PM
Tech Team
Gary

Garage
Re: Struggling w/ New Tech

Any time there's new technology that most people hate, there's always an aftermarket prod. that comes out to override it.

https://www.smartstopstart.com/chevy...-products.html

Gary

(oo_____oo)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 19, 9:26 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman628 View Post
Any time there's new technology that most people hate, there's always an aftermarket prod. that comes out to override it.

https://www.smartstopstart.com/chevy...-products.html

Got to wonder if it is legal ?? I bet the start / stop feature is considered part of the emissions system.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 19, 9:42 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

You can bet your ass it'll void the warranty!!

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 19, 9:43 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoP View Post

ANd I would be the first one to buy it if I had one of those cars
LeoP likes this.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 19, 9:43 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jon N.

This item cannot be shipped to California.

This item cannot be used on California registered vehicles.

Sorry, no exceptions.

That alone would be a major selling point if I had a start/stop vehicle.

Jon N.

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.

BIGOT is a word used by people that can't use logical reasoning to prove that you are wrong when you don't agree with them.
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 19, 10:15 PM
Tech Team
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyno jonn View Post
This item cannot be shipped to California.

This item cannot be used on California registered vehicles.

Sorry, no exceptions.

That alone would be a major selling point if I had a start/stop vehicle.
You would not believe the list of items that "Cannot be shipped to Kalifornia"!
I'm holding some ABS Plastic body repair panels here in Nevada for a friend to pick up, 'cause they cannot be shipped to Kali.
Ford sold the car there new, with these same panels in place.
So how is this to "Save" the environment, maybe by making it impractical to repair a slightly older model car?

I will never own any car with auto-stop, but I will also never own any vehicle newer than what I have now, so 1984.

At these gas prices I want it 100+ octane, leaded, and my windshield washed!
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 19, 12:36 AM
Team Member
Lyle

Wife's 04 Impala has Passlock theft deterrent system, notorious for locking out the car's owner in 15 minute blocks, sometimes forcing a tow home. After wasting an hour one day trying to come home from work, that got bypassed, never to trouble her again. Not an easy job, but necessary. I am all for little black boxes that get my car to behave like I want it to. An issue that doesn't get enough attention is the vulnerability to hacking inherent with these connected cars. If you can control your car with your iPhone, everyone else can too. Good Luck With That.
dyno jonn likes this.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 19, 3:20 PM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

I just picked up a 2019 VW Golf Alltrack wagon as shown. I got it with a 6-speed manual transmission which pretty much disables the start/stop, plus there are selectable modes: Eco (start/stop), Sport (did I hear the mufflers open up?) etc.

Having driven rental cars with the silly start/stop feature I find they start so easily, like half a tic. About 4 years ago the 5-year-old battery in my daily drive died, so a jump start kept it going so that I could drive to get a new battery. Imagine if that silly stop/start was active on that car, I wouldn't have made it through the first traffic light.

Yes, the enviro-nazis are winning the war. It is not official yet, but we have totally acceded control to these whack-jobs. According to them the car is responsible for all the pollution in the world, yet cars have never burned cleaner than now. Does anybody ever call out these wack-o's on their silly pronouncements? Toronto has a law where it is illegal to idle more than 1 minute. On an old carbureted car you need at least that to come off high idle before the car is driveable. Just because a law-maker says it is so doesn't mean that physics are bound by activist ideals.
LeoP and lkmarsh like this.

"The more you know,
the more you realize there is that you don't know." - Dad

TC Gold #120

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 19, 7:14 PM
Tech Team
Ken

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoP View Post
I had a 2018 Chevy Equinox for about a year, and I installed the StopStart module. A couple of times I took it in for service I simply unplugged it. There's no way dealer techs would ever know it had been installed. It does not register any codes in vehicle's computer. BTW, the module works great.

I now own a 2019 Honda Passport and it had a button to turn off the "engine idle stop". I just push it each time I start the engine.
LeoP likes this.

67 Chevelle Malibu, ZZ4 350 crate engine, TH350, FiTech EFI, Vintage Air, Dakota HDX dash, FlowMaster exhaust,
17" Rally style wheels, Redline tires
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 19, 9:04 PM
Tech Team
terry b

hate it!
The wife came home stopped two feet in front of the garage door. Got a call on her cell phone, talked for 10 minutes, car engine shut off, hung up her cell opened the door, car started up slammed into the house and knocked her down. VERY lucky!
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 19, 10:20 PM
Southwest

My BMW has this. I could shut it off each drive but forgot mostly. I explained to the dealer how I felt this was jeopardizing my safety due to the lag upon restart as I was trying to make a left into traffic on my morning commute. Boom. Quick reprogram and the car remembers my last setting before shutting down - which is off. Shut it off once and it’s always off unless I want it on.
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 19, 6:29 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS39667CHEVELLE View Post
hate it!
The wife came home stopped two feet in front of the garage door. Got a call on her cell phone, talked for 10 minutes, car engine shut off, hung up her cell opened the door, car started up slammed into the house and knocked her down. VERY lucky!
So she was getting out of the car while it was still in drive? I guess I could see that happening if you were sitting at home in your driveway for a while and forgot that you didn't shut it off and it did it itself. Funny thing about our XT5, you can't specifically turn off the stop/start, but it never does it in my driveway or garage.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 19, 9:09 AM
Tech Team

Garage
Wifes Acura MDX has it and I hate it. My ‘19 4Runner does not have it and live it.

1970 Cranberry Red SS396 TH400 AC 3:31 Posi -as it was born
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 19, 12:01 PM
Tech Team
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS39667CHEVELLE View Post
hate it!
Sounds like an excuse from wife driving into the house by mistake. That cannot happen with our equinox and I suspect other manufacturers, it does not restart without pressing the gas and as soon as you open the door everything is disabled. I suspect the wife ran into the house and knowing your dislike for new technology, blamed the black box and was in the clear.

Life is too short for caring about every bodies else's stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in