2014 Tahoe A/C - Chevelle Tech
Misc (NON CHEVELLE AUTOMOTIVE TECH) This section is for the Non-Chevelle Related automotive questions/answers or discussion.

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

2014 Tahoe A/C

So the A/C light just blinks on me. Research tells me there are actually 12 sensors on this hvac system. So I just brought it in so they could put it on a scan tool. Come to find out its low on refrigerant. Crap! so there's a leak somewhere. I've never really dealt with A/C before, so what do you think? The shop said they can recharge the system and put a dye in it so they can find the leak with a black light sometime down the road for $150. Should I have the shop do it , or is there a cheap recharge can at the parts store with a dye additive?

67 Chevelle 454, M21
Gen IV 454 (out of C30 ), 390 heads 1.88/2.19 valves by Vortecpro, with ISKY Hyd Roller cam (at 050 218 int./228 exh, lift 530 int./552 exh.), RPM performer intake, Fitech 600HP, Dougs headers, and M21, Gear Vendors OD, 3.73's, UMI Suspension, Viking coilovers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 11:17 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage
Re: 2014 Tahoe A/C

Got a friend with a set of gauges? How about a leak detector?

IF there is zero pressure in the system, it needs to be evacuated, but I would check for the leak first by pressurizing with a little refrigerant.

If there is pressure in the system, leak check and add refrigerant

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 11:18 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Get ahead of the game by just adding some refrigerant with dye yourself. Any auto parts store will have the proper fitting/hose/can-tap for an easy fill. Once the dye is in, if it leaks out again itíll be easy to spot the problem.

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

No, i don't have any friends with gauges or a leak detector. what's a leak detector? Like a leak down test?

I assume if I got a bottle at the parts store with the gauge on it, that will tell me if I have any pressure in the system?

Can you recommend a refrigerant with dye off amazon? They'll probably ship it to me faster than i can get to a store

67 Chevelle 454, M21
Gen IV 454 (out of C30 ), 390 heads 1.88/2.19 valves by Vortecpro, with ISKY Hyd Roller cam (at 050 218 int./228 exh, lift 530 int./552 exh.), RPM performer intake, Fitech 600HP, Dougs headers, and M21, Gear Vendors OD, 3.73's, UMI Suspension, Viking coilovers.
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 12:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdelgado View Post
No, i don't have any friends with gauges or a leak detector. what's a leak detector? Like a leak down test?

I assume if I got a bottle at the parts store with the gauge on it, that will tell me if I have any pressure in the system?

Can you recommend a refrigerant with dye off amazon? They'll probably ship it to me faster than i can get to a store
The dye can be seen with a UV light and yellow glasses. If your system is truly empty, adding one can should give it enough life to at least turn on. Itís not REALLY technical to just add a can so long as you have the proper fitting, which again, you can get cheaply. Iíve seen cans at auto parts stores that already have the proper hose & fitting attached. The fittings are all standardized so you can only hook up to the low pressure side. Regarding brands, I think theyíre all the same. 134A is 134A, so buy whatever you can find. Just start the truck, turn on the A/C, hook up the fitting and open the can, then wait. It may take a half hour for the can to empty, but if the can is frosty, youíll know itís discharging. If your system will hold any pressure your compressor should kick on within the first minute of charging.
71350SS likes this.
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 1:00 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdelgado View Post

Probably not much difference in brands, just price.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=r134+refr...b_sb_ss_i_1_22

The thing is you don't want to dump refrigerant into a system that has leaked down to zero and now has air in it. The air needs to be evacuated out first to avoid high head pressure and contaminants.

I never used a parts store bottle with a gauge so I don't know the answer but I would guess the gauge would show pressure in the system before you start opening up the bottle. (I always use gauges and a 30 Lb drum.)

Anyway, dumping refrigerant into the suction side with engine running only takes a few minutes, not an hour.

I use a leak detector a little like this one.

Last edited by Dean; Jun 16th, 19 at 2:34 PM.
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 1:02 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Since my system is in a safety mode and won't engage the compressor, should I put a can in first before starting? or start and have someone keep attempting to turn on the a/c while i inject the 134a?

67 Chevelle 454, M21
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 1:10 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Probably not much difference in brands, just price.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=r134+refr...b_sb_ss_i_1_22

The thing is you don't want to dump refrigerant into a system that has leaked down to zero and now has air in it. The air needs to be evacuated out first to avoid high head pressure and contaminants.

I never used a parts store bottle with a gauge so I don't know the answer but I would guess the gauge would show pressure in the system before you start opening up the bottle. (I always use gauges and a 30 Lb drum.)

Anyway, dumping refrigerant into the suction side with engine running only takes a few minutes, not an hour.

I use a leak detector a little like this one.
huh, never knew that tool existed. I would just assume, no refrigerant automatically means there's a leak.

How many cans should I start with would you estimate?

I didn't know if I could get away with buying one of these kits

67 Chevelle 454, M21
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 1:40 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Well, there has to be a leak if the system is low but if you can't determine if there is any pressure in the system now, dump a can in, stop the engine and look/listen for leak (sometimes an oily spot).

Probably 90% of the time vehicles still have some refrigerant in them.

Turn the can upside down and dump liquid in until the gauge shows around 35 PSI and the air coming out of the vents is cold.

(I usually open all the doors and put a fan in front of the condenser while adding refrigerant.)

And hope for the best.
LeoP likes this.

post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 2:29 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Dean can probably verify this but I have been told never to use the parts store R134 that has sealer in it. Just the raw 134. Not sure if you can buy it with die that does not also have the sealer.

I just did the entire system on my 99 Tahoe. It had been leaking around the compressor body for quite some time. Had been nursing it along with a can every once in a while but it finally gave it up at 250K miles
LeoP likes this.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 3:15 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Yeah, I'd rather not use a 'stop leak' and fix it right. My thinking, why put a dye in it if it's supposed to stop the leak? to show you the product doesn't work? jk.

Looks like you can get glasses and UV light for $12 and the gauge and hoses for $10. How many 12oz cans do you think I should start with. This enviro stuff has dye

67 Chevelle 454, M21
post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 3:32 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Mike,
I don't know if that is what I would use. I would go to WalMart or Advance Auto Parts and buy a single can of straight R134, the real stuff, not "equivalent to" If one can doesn't get it running then you might as well have someone find the leak and fix it right.

If you start putting anything other than real 134 in it the guys at the shop are not going to be happy when the time comes to do it correctly.

Just my opinion,
LeoP likes this.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 3:46 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

That ad says it is R134A with a brand name of "Enviro-Safe"

It wouldn't say R134A if it isn't.

I personally wouldn't put any stop leak into a system myself.

{edit} Wait, it does say R134A replacement on the can
LeoP likes this.

post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 4:17 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

I agree, I'll go to O'reillys and get real r134 and let you know how i make out

67 Chevelle 454, M21
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old May 16th, 19, 7:07 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

If you like your a/c and your pocketbook, you'll invest in a set of a/c gauges. Without them it's all a big crap shoot. They will pay themselves off quickly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in