2014 Tahoe A/C - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Misc (NON CHEVELLE AUTOMOTIVE TECH) This section is for the Non-Chevelle Related automotive questions/answers or discussion.

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old May 17th, 19, 8:18 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Re: 2014 Tahoe A/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTCH MAX HEADWORK View Post
If you like your a/c and your pocketbook, you'll invest in a set of a/c gauges. Without them it's all a big crap shoot. They will pay themselves off quickly.

Yeah, I need to invest in some experience too. Funny of all the years of working on my own cars I've never had A/C issues, and this is the newest car I've owned... I think the plan is to throw some 134 and dye in, hopefully find the leak and replace the part. Then bring it to a place to have the system vacuumed and charged correctly.

It's just so ironic, I never bring my vehicles to shops. But I got a recall notice for the efans. So what the heck, free labor and new parts, so I do it. Get the hoe back and rad is leaking. After a couple weeks of adding fluid, I replace the rad. Next week, (in the Fall) a random humid day, turn on the A/C....blink..blink. tough to point finger, but

67 Chevelle 454, M21
Gen IV 454 (out of C30 ), 390 heads 1.88/2.19 valves by Vortecpro, with ISKY Hyd Roller cam (at 050 218 int./228 exh, lift 530 int./552 exh.), RPM performer intake, Fitech 600HP, Dougs headers, and M21, Gear Vendors OD, 3.73's, UMI Suspension, Viking coilovers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old May 20th, 19, 9:32 AM
Tech Team
Dan

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
Mike,
I don't know if that is what I would use. I would go to WalMart or Advance Auto Parts and buy a single can of straight R134, the real stuff, not "equivalent to" If one can doesn't get it running then you might as well have someone find the leak and fix it right.

If you start putting anything other than real 134 in it the guys at the shop are not going to be happy when the time comes to do it correctly.

Just my opinion,
This. I would make overly certain that whatever you put in is R134A. The makers of the "happy homeowner" quick shot A/C stuff seem to be very good at making people think what they are putting in is R134a. I guess i dont have a huge problem with those quick shot cans for small tune-ups, but you might as well have your eyes closed when putting it in. There is now way whatever little gauge they supply you with is accurate to whats really going on.

I imagine lots of vehicles are being over charged my people throwing this stuff in willy - nilly
post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old May 20th, 19, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Alright, so I took my charge hose with me to O'reilly to make sure i got the right fitting and can. They had a r143a with dye, so I picked that up and a can of regular r134a. I was advised that my hose was the old style and I needed the adapter, so another $3. That also saved me a 2nd trip back. There's something to be said for going to a real store and getting service, compared to buying online..
Anyway, I started the car and hooked the can to the low pressure and the compressor engaged almost instantly. Whats odd is that it engaged and then 4 secs later, disengaged and did this repeatedly. When engaged, the meter would read in the green low. then when the disengaged, the meter would spike to red, danger area. Then it cycled back on and was a little high. off, and spike again. on, and now in the Blue Full area. it was blowing cold air and full when compressor was on so i stopped and didn't put the other can in. Why does it spike in pressure when the compressor disengages?

67 Chevelle 454, M21
Gen IV 454 (out of C30 ), 390 heads 1.88/2.19 valves by Vortecpro, with ISKY Hyd Roller cam (at 050 218 int./228 exh, lift 530 int./552 exh.), RPM performer intake, Fitech 600HP, Dougs headers, and M21, Gear Vendors OD, 3.73's, UMI Suspension, Viking coilovers.

post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old May 20th, 19, 11:40 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

How low did the pressure go with compressor running?

Low pressure with compressor running = Low on refrigerant, high pressure with compressor off is pressure in bottle I bet.

I guess the gauge won't show the pressure in the system with compressor off ???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old May 20th, 19, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
How low did the pressure go with compressor running?

Low pressure with compressor running = Low on refrigerant, high pressure with compressor off is pressure in bottle I bet.

I guess the gauge won't show the pressure in the system with compressor off ???

I think the lowest it got was 20#. makes sense what you said, the meter is reading the pressure inside the can when the compressor is off

67 Chevelle 454, M21
post #21 of 49 (permalink) Old May 20th, 19, 1:11 PM
Tech Team
autumngold

Lots of times the compressor leaks and becomes the problem.No amount of 134a will fix it for very long
post #22 of 49 (permalink) Old May 20th, 19, 1:34 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

If it was cycling on and then off again rapidly then its likely you're real low on refrigerant.You can buy a separate can of Dye that has a small charge of R134 in it to send it to the system after you hook it up.As for refrig,1 small 12oz can of R134 should be enough to get you system up and running again.
Sometimes a system won't leak till the high side pressure reaches a certain amount and then will stop leaking again after the car/truck is turned off.It will leak only a small amount and do this repeatedly little by little as you're driving the vehicle till the system reaches a point that the A/C won't turn on any longer.Not saying that this is what happened to you but it could be.
It could also be the Electric cooling fans not operating when the A/C was running could cause the system to release pressure by dumping refrigerant when the high side pressure reached a too high amount.That could be where your R134 went too.There's no way to tell as far as that is.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
post #23 of 49 (permalink) Old May 20th, 19, 1:38 PM
Levon

FWIW 2 of my friends/family are automotive A/C guys (retired). I found over the years it was best to take a vehicle to a reputable shop for diagnosis and repairs. Since the vehicle is a 2014, it may be something as simple as an O-ring which they should be able to locate/repair properly. Often worth the $$ pain to get it done right.

BTW some of these Tahoe/Suburban have rear air and the lines to the rear disintegrate from corrosion. Just like the brake and fuel lines.

Levon Hovagimian
Team Chevelle #279
2015 Camaro ZL1 Summit White (Bone Stock)
70 Chevelle SS 454 LS5 4 speed. SOLD
Current Engine VortecPro 460 (513 HP) Original is resting

1966 427 Corvette SOLD
1973 Camaro IHRA Hot Rod (LS-6 Auto)11.00 @121 (Chased a 10.99 or better) SOLD

Priddis Greens, Ab. Canada

post #24 of 49 (permalink) Old May 20th, 19, 2:55 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71350SS View Post
If it was cycling on and then off again rapidly then its likely you're real low on refrigerant.You can buy a separate can of Dye that has a small charge of R134 in it to send it to the system after you hook it up.As for refrig,1 small 12oz can of R134 should be enough to get you system up and running again.
Sometimes a system won't leak till the high side pressure reaches a certain amount and then will stop leaking again after the car/truck is turned off.It will leak only a small amount and do this repeatedly little by little as you're driving the vehicle till the system reaches a point that the A/C won't turn on any longer.Not saying that this is what happened to you but it could be.
It could also be the Electric cooling fans not operating when the A/C was running could cause the system to release pressure by dumping refrigerant when the high side pressure reached a too high amount.That could be where your R134 went too.There's no way to tell as far as that is.
The fan not working could be a possibility. Since I did the recall and have new fans now, I can verify they turned on when the ac compressor engaged. I can't recall if they turned on last summer before they system went south.
But yeah I used the R134a refrigerant and dye in one can. I've got my yellow glasses and UV light, so I'm ready to track down the leak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevonH View Post
FWIW 2 of my friends/family are automotive A/C guys (retired). I found over the years it was best to take a vehicle to a reputable shop for diagnosis and repairs. Since the vehicle is a 2014, it may be something as simple as an O-ring which they should be able to locate/repair properly. Often worth the $$ pain to get it done right.

BTW some of these Tahoe/Suburban have rear air and the lines to the rear disintegrate from corrosion. Just like the brake and fuel lines.

That's my worst fear. I had to replace the breaks lines on top of the frame in my last Tahoe. I don't have time to do that again.
You'd think GM would learn by now.

67 Chevelle 454, M21
post #25 of 49 (permalink) Old May 28th, 19, 9:49 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

It still seems to be blowing cold air. I'm almost afraid to ask, but I notice the rear AC unit is making somewhat of a hissing noise? And idea what that could be?

I'm yet to break out the UV light and search around..

67 Chevelle 454, M21
post #26 of 49 (permalink) Old May 28th, 19, 11:10 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

The rear A/C has a TXV, Thermal Expansion Valve, the hissing is probably the refrigerant moving into the rear evap. The Compressors in those years have a tendency to leak where the body halves come together, check there when looking for the dye you installed and good luck!!
71350SS likes this.

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

post #27 of 49 (permalink) Old May 29th, 19, 8:23 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoP View Post
The rear A/C has a TXV, Thermal Expansion Valve, the hissing is probably the refrigerant moving into the rear evap. The Compressors in those years have a tendency to leak where the body halves come together, check there when looking for the dye you installed and good luck!!
Leo, what do you mean by body halves?

67 Chevelle 454, M21
post #28 of 49 (permalink) Old May 29th, 19, 2:34 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Refrigerant leaks where the two end bells seal to the main compressor body.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Compressor.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	594628  
LeoP likes this.

post #29 of 49 (permalink) Old May 29th, 19, 3:36 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Thanks for the visual, Dean!

67 Chevelle 454, M21
post #30 of 49 (permalink) Old May 29th, 19, 7:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Andy

$150 to recharge with dye? I'm in the wring business. I charge $30.

Common leaks on your Ho are fittings, low pressure switches, and condensors. Hoses have a habit of leaking as well.

And by fittings I mean the service ports.

Just charge it and wait for the flashing light. Then check for leaks if nothing wet with oil is jumping out at you.
LeoP likes this.

Couple of junkers and a few clunkers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in