2013 GMC 3500 brakes issues - Chevelle Tech
Misc (NON CHEVELLE AUTOMOTIVE TECH) This section is for the Non-Chevelle Related automotive questions/answers or discussion.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 19, 4:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Gene

2013 GMC 3500 brakes issues

First off, the website I used to go to for trucks, FullSizeChevy.com now seems to be dead, no one posts there anymore...

Anyways, my 2013 GMC 3500 has 102,000 miles on it. Around 85,000 miles one of the original front calipers started sticking ultimately causing a rotor to warp. I've had to replace the rotors & calipers 2 times since then. The brake job lasts about 4 months and then one of the dual pistons on either caliper will not fully retract, causing the rotor to heat up and warp, as well as make the brake pad in contact with the pistons wear unevenly. It's a crap shoot on which piston on either caliper will not retract fully. This last time around both the left & right calipers took turns sticking.

I don't really feel like spending another $300-$400 for new rotors and loaded calipers again until I truly figure out WTF is going on. I'm wondering if there is some other underlying issue causing this? I've read on some forums that the brake hoses could be the culprit. Does it make sense that the hoses are bad at 85,000 miles causing this issue?

My 1966 SS396 Project:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1972 GTO:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 19, 8:39 PM
Team Member
Roger

Re: 2013 GMC 3500 brakes issues

It sounds like the rubber hoses are collapsing inside preventing the fluid to return to he reservoir and allow the piston to retract. There is no way to tell this by looking at the outside of the hose. I'd replace them w/ steel braided lines.
LeoP likes this.

1972 El Camino SS (sold)
1981 Camaro Z28
2005 Silverado 3500 LS
2013 Sierra 1500 SLT
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 19, 8:33 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Andy

most likely the caliper slide pins are either sticking or one is just locked up. You can usually get the slide/mounting brackets with the better caliper kits.

Couple of junkers and a few clunkers.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 19, 12:55 PM
Tech Team
Jim

X2 on the slide pins....makes one pad wear out 10x quicker than the other...especially in the rust belt...

72 SS 402/4 speed/Straub roller and a bunch of Duramaxes.....
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 19, 2:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkrace View Post
X2 on the slide pins....makes one pad wear out 10x quicker than the other...especially in the rust belt...
I can check that, but this seems to happen just a few months after new calipers, when the original calipers/pins worked for 5+ years. I am replacing the hoses, and I'll look at the pins at that time.

My 1966 SS396 Project:

1972 GTO:
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 19, 9:30 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Gene,

Don't know if it is your problem but I refuse to use anything other than OEM brake parts on anything I own. So far it has worked out very well. The few items I have had to replace have lasted as long as the originals.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 19, 1:30 AM
Tech Team
Jim

OEM parts for sure....

72 SS 402/4 speed/Straub roller and a bunch of Duramaxes.....
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 19, 6:20 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

The caliper slide pins shouldn’t freeze up in that short of time. A way to check the hoses is to drive the truck until the brakes are binding then jack up the wheels and see which one is sticking. Open that bleeder ans see if it releases the caliper. If it does that eliminates the caliper and the slide. Hoses do fail and so do the ABS modules which keep pressure to front brakes.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 19, 8:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
Gene,

Don't know if it is your problem but I refuse to use anything other than OEM brake parts on anything I own. So far it has worked out very well. The few items I have had to replace have lasted as long as the originals.
I bought AC-Delco hoses from Rock Auto assuming those were OEM.

And I really don't think it's the slide pins. What I typically see is one of the pistons sticking out farther than the other, and the brake pad is worn off at an angle. The pins would not allow the caliper to reach that kind of angle, sticking or not.

Sure hope it's not the ABS module...

My 1966 SS396 Project:

1972 GTO:
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 19, 12:13 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

If the replacement calipers work fine for a few months then I would think the calipers are the problem. If only one of the pistons is sticking out than I would not think the hose was the issue. And I cant imagine how the ABS unit would do that either.

You can try the hoses but I would bet that a set of new GM calipers and pads will fix it.

By the way, both AC Delco and the GM dealer have a couple of levels of parts. At the dealer you have to specify that you want the oem replacement, especially on pads. The Goodwrench ones are just aftermarket in a GM box. The oem replacements come with all the hardware, seals etc. And the oem pads act the same as the original ones did.
davewho1 likes this.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 19, 12:51 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Don't just look at the slide pins and say they're OK and then re-install the brakes.Take the slides apart and clean them then up and re-install them with a generous amount of this brake lube :

https://www.permatex.com/products/lu...aliper-lube-4/

All the better part stores carry this for around 18.99 or so.This bottle will last you many brake repairs so if you think this way it doesn't seem like an expensive add-on.
LeoP likes this.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 19, 3:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
If the replacement calipers work fine for a few months then I would think the calipers are the problem. If only one of the pistons is sticking out than I would not think the hose was the issue. And I cant imagine how the ABS unit would do that either.

You can try the hoses but I would bet that a set of new GM calipers and pads will fix it.

By the way, both AC Delco and the GM dealer have a couple of levels of parts. At the dealer you have to specify that you want the oem replacement, especially on pads. The Goodwrench ones are just aftermarket in a GM box. The oem replacements come with all the hardware, seals etc. And the oem pads act the same as the original ones did.
Thing is, the calipers that came on the truck did the same exact thing at 85,000 miles. One piston was sticking out farther than the other, wearing the pad at an angle. As I have said both sides have taken turns doing this. I can take the calipers off, use a c-clamp and push the piston back in, and that works for a month or two. They are never rusted to the point the piston is stuck, and it takes normal force to push the piston back in.

The calipers on there now are NAPA fleet parts, so not sure what the quality difference of those are to OEM.

My 1966 SS396 Project:

1972 GTO:
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 19, 11:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

Gene, I recently put NAPA Fleet brake pads on the front of our Grand Caravan, these pads are worse than the Wagner pads we used where I worked. I will, from now on, purchase only their Premium pads!!

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 19, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Gene

Well, I received the AC-Delco hoses yesterday, will install them this weekend. If the problem persists, I will look into OEM calipers and pads.

Is there an online source for OEM parts?

My 1966 SS396 Project:

1972 GTO:
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 19, 11:14 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

www.gmpartsdirect.com if you have the part number, good luck!!

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in