2004 Lexus ES330 Dash Brake Light... - Chevelle Tech
Misc (NON CHEVELLE AUTOMOTIVE TECH) This section is for the Non-Chevelle Related automotive questions/answers or discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 19, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage
2004 Lexus ES330 Dash Brake Light...

My brother brought me his 2004 Lexus ES330 yesterday for a brake job. A shop had told him that it was going to be $740 to do both axles with pads and new rotors (they claimed the rotors were not machinable). So I tore it down and took the rotors in to be machined (they had plenty of material left on them). The parts store counter guy forgot to tell the brake lathe guy to machine them. So, 4 hours later, they had them finished and didn't charge me (I was quoted 1.5 hours when I dropped them off). He basically got a brake job for the cost of the new pads and some labor.

I got it all reassembled and took it for a test drive. As soon as I started backing out, the dash brake light came on and stayed on during the test drive. The brakes felt excellent - smooth and quiet - but the light stayed on. Once I got to my brother's house, I asked him about the light. He said it had been on for 2 to 3 weeks, but he forgot to mention it to me.

Now that I know I didn't do anything to cause it, does anyone know what would trigger that light on this particular vehicle?? The master cylinder is full, and the parking brake pedal is fully released. If anyone has any ideas, your input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

P.S. The ABS light goes off and stays off - this is just the brake light that is coming on.

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.

My Chevelle w/ open headers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q61TTYXmIsc

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFm_ISn_UDA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 19, 11:21 AM
Tech Team
Mark

Garage
Re: 2004 Lexus ES330 Dash Brake Light...

Check the float in the master cylinder as the tend to stick on these cars. What may look like a full master cylinder may indeed be lower than expected. Try adding some additional fluid without exceeding the maximum fluid level. Did this vehicle have pad sensors on it? If so you may end up replacing one or more pad sensors to resolve this issue.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 19, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

No pad sensors on this vehicle. The fluid is full (new pads, calipers compressed). Some online research shows some people have just tapped on the reservoir near the level sensor to free it up, so I may try that.

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 19, 12:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage

You have a brake light out. Easy fix.

Devin
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 19, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64SS427 View Post
You have a brake light out. Easy fix.

Devin
The dash brake light is not used for burned out bulbs - it only pertains to the parking brake and the master cylinder level sensor (according to the owners manual). There is a different dash light for bulbs that need to be replaced.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 19, 12:14 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage

So this one is the red indicator, not the yellow one? Only thing that turns that on is the float in the master cylinder or the parking brake switch.

Devin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in