What to do with old oil..... - Chevelle Tech
Misc (NON CHEVELLE AUTOMOTIVE TECH) This section is for the Non-Chevelle Related automotive questions/answers or discussion.

27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 19, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

What to do with old oil.....

Guys , I am packing up and moving my junk across the state. I found a case of Quaker State DeLuxe 10 - 40 in the metal cans my Dad bought prolly 20 -25 years ago. I remember they use to say don t use QS as if was paraffin base and it would nasty up your motor. Hate to just chunck it. Was wondering if working in a quart with new oil at change time would not be to detrimental to the engine. But of coarse , I am not running much 10 -40 these days.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 19, 10:59 AM
Tech Team
Jeff

Re: What to do with old oil.....

Oil breaks down over time. Only thing those cans are good for is putting on ebay for anyone looking for automobile nostalgia. I would NOT put that oil in anything you depend on.
Molly's 70 and shovelrick like this.

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 19, 9:45 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

You are most prolly correct. i know cooking oils break down and for sure turn rancid over time....just never thought about that happening to sealed motor oil...but makes sense. Yep, yard sale or Fleabay for sure.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 19, 10:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

the waxy buildup on engines back then was most likely from lack of oil changes. I have used,since 1968, probably just about all the different brands of oil that have been on the market, Safeway Grocery store oil was one of them, I had no problems with any buildup on any engine in any vehicle I ever owned. It's a myth!!
Steve R, blm and boyd66k20 like this.

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 19, 10:22 PM
Senior Tech Team

Put on CL for $25 and let the new owner deal with it.

Steve R
shovelrick likes this.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 19, 10:29 PM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

Back when I was a kid and had a Nova that used a fair amount of oil I used Pennzoil for a while as it was affordable but I still thought of it as a "premium" (name brand at least) oil. The engine developed a white scum on the inside of the valve and lifter covers. I don't know if that white goo was good or bad, but I didn't think it was good at the time. I switched to Phillips 66 Trop Artic and it burned less oil and the white scum went away.

I've never heard that quality motor oil will break down sitting in the can over time. Most motor oils are based on paraffinic crude oil. That in no way implies such oils contain wax, in fact one of the main refining steps used in making such crude into motor oil is called "dewaxing", a step that separates the substance used in making some waxes from the portions used in making motor oils.

The only reason I would hesitate to used older oil would be if it had a lower SAE rating than what is considered acceptable for the engine in question. If the oil manufacturing date was contemporary with the date the engine was built, I'd think you'd pretty much be okay. I recall using a case of 20-50 Valvoline racing oil that was about 15 years old, never had a problem with any of that "old" oil. It most certainly had more zinc than almost any modern non-specialty blend.
blm and boyd66k20 like this.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 19, 10:41 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

There is probably nothing wrong with the oil because its in a sealed can, some say the additives tend to separate over time. I will say its worth more/can as a novelty than using it in your engine.
Steve R, LeoP and shovelrick like this.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 19, 9:21 AM
Tech Team

There's just no purpose; the savings in using it will be so small as to pale in comparison to any possible damage. Ebay it.
shovelrick likes this.

'71 chevelle, 468, TH400, 12 bolt posi w/3.08's, drinks a lot of 87 octane.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 19, 9:35 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

I'd let somebody else experiment with it, Ebay or CL
Steve R likes this.

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 19, 10:15 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

FACT: OIL never wears out. Oil does get dirty & contaminated...
Bob

1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 19, 10:21 AM
Senior Tech Team
Gary

I might pour the oil into a container and see if any of the solids stay with the oil can to see if they had separated. Other than that I wouldn't hesitate to use it especially for your lawn mower or something like that
77 cruiser, Steve R and blm like this.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 19, 10:34 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-L79 View Post
Back when I was a kid and had a Nova that used a fair amount of oil I used Pennzoil for a while as it was affordable but I still thought of it as a "premium" (name brand at least) oil. The engine developed a white scum on the inside of the valve and lifter covers. I don't know if that white goo was good or bad, but I didn't think it was good at the time. I switched to Phillips 66 Trop Artic and it burned less oil and the white scum went away.
oh man back in my dads shop in the 80's we would get fords in in the winter blowing oil from every orifice.pull em inside,pull the pcv valve out and thaw it out and pull the valve covers and clean the snooty goo out of em,if they ran pennzoil it was worse,and add in a fram filer and it amazed me just how those engines survived.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 19, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

As a kid , I remember my Dad pulling valve covers and in some of those engines gunk and goo would just almost up to the rocker arms. Dad said some folks would have either the wrong thermostat , too cold , or no thermostat , and that helped crude up the engine. Never forgot that.....but did hear lots a bad stuff about some oil brands....
LeoP likes this.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 19, 12:22 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dan

Many of those old engines back in the day people never changed oil!
They leaked and folks ran engines hot until steaming
baking oil inside them engines = gunk.
Drive em till they quit running and junk em.
Steve R likes this.

post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 19, 3:59 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

I remember when I was a kid 10-11 my Gfather saying Quaker State oil was bad, weird I remember that, and he didn't hesitate having an engine rebuilt by the same local garage/gas station when needed, 67 327 caprice, 69 cougar eliminator and a few trucks that I remember so I believed him and never to this day bought any QS, he said it did some odd build up in engines, he was a house painting cont. though

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in