What to do with old oil..... - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Misc (NON CHEVELLE AUTOMOTIVE TECH) This section is for the Non-Chevelle Related automotive questions/answers or discussion.

27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 19, 5:11 PM
Team Member

Re: What to do with old oil.....

Lots of for and against but for me..why take the chance ?
To save what, a few bucks?

Dunc

'Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you' - unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 19, 7:07 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelrick View Post
I remember when I was a kid 10-11 my Gfather saying Quaker State oil was bad, weird I remember that, and he didn't hesitate having an engine rebuilt by the same local garage/gas station when needed, 67 327 caprice, 69 cougar eliminator and a few trucks that I remember so I believed him and never to this day bought any QS, he said it did some odd build up in engines, he was a house painting cont. though
Quaker State had some viscosity issues back in the early 80's with a recall. I stopped using it after that.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 19, 7:59 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Kinda getting off the subject of what to do with the old oil and like I said before, ask a hundred people what is the best oil and you'll get 99 different answers.

I don't see how anything could be wrong with sealed up cans of oil myself but I agree with pduncan why take a chance to save a few bucks?

Take it along with your used oil to the oil recycle place.
blm and LeoP like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 19, 9:29 PM
Senior Tech Team
Kev

My experience is that quicky oil change places will let anyone dump oil in their vat.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 19, 10:20 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sc View Post
My experience is that quicky oil change places will let anyone dump oil in their vat.
Most all the auto parts stores around here take used oil.
LeoP and shovelrick like this.

post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 19, 2:02 AM
Gold Founding Member

The stuff is sixty-five million years old when they pump it out of the ground.

Thirty years in the can doesn't seem so bad. If this oil is from the era of viscosity problems, no, I wouldn't use it except on bicycle chains or hinge pins. If this were some other brand...I'd be fine with it.

Yes, I remember the Quaker State viscosity problems from decades ago. QS bought a bunch of engines. Somehow, everyone remembers they had problems, no-one thinks those problems were solved decades ago.

OTOH, I don't know how anyone could buy a Firestone tire after they killed so many people with the Firestone 500 (and then again with the Ford Exploders.) But then, I don't know how anyone could buy a Ford after the Pinto.

Did you SEARCH BEFORE POSTING a new thread?
Did you post in the CORRECT FORUM?
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 19, 6:51 AM
Gold Member
Gene

I know of two shops here that heat with waste oil. I didnt catch your "20", is it somewhere cold? Someone can burn it for heat.
LeoP likes this.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 19, 7:22 AM
Tech Team
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
The stuff is sixty-five million years old when they pump it out of the ground.

Thirty years in the can doesn't seem so bad. If this oil is from the era of viscosity problems, no, I wouldn't use it except on bicycle chains or hinge pins. If this were some other brand...I'd be fine with it.

Yes, I remember the Quaker State viscosity problems from decades ago. QS bought a bunch of engines. Somehow, everyone remembers they had problems, no-one thinks those problems were solved decades ago.

OTOH, I don't know how anyone could buy a Firestone tire after they killed so many people with the Firestone 500 (and then again with the Ford Exploders.) But then, I don't know how anyone could buy a Ford after the Pinto.
Your statements are correct, but.. how many people do you know pumping oil out of the ground straight into their crankcase? The crude oil goes through miles of refining with a lot of chemical processes and additives along the way. This process leaves the oil in a somewhat stable / unstable state. Over time it will break down and not provide the protection it was designed for.

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 19, 8:23 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Well Guys, I am still in the heat of the battle of moving prolly forty plus years of cars, and car stuff halfway across the state to my new location. So , I threw the case on the trailer and it is now sitting on a new shelf.....I m hafta do something with all this stuff soon.....geeeezzz, it s unbelievable how much junk I ve hung onto.......
Hotwire likes this.
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 19, 8:33 AM
Tech Team
Marc

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditRX View Post
I found a case of Quaker State DeLuxe 10 - 40 in the metal cans my Dad bought prolly 20 -25 years ago.

People will pay you more for those cans (if they are in good condition) than what you will pay for a modern oil at Autozone, WalMart etc. so I would sell them as an antique / collectable. I ordinarily would be very interested, I have a small collection of stuff like that, but I have stopped collecting this stuff after my last move and am downsizing. I realize you are moving and I know what that is like (no time to flog it on eBay, deal with chain jerkers etc.) but someone out there would appreciate those cans in original condition. Would you mind posting a picture of one of the cans for me? I love that old vintage stuff. If they are all metal they are likely older than 20-25 years by the way.
mr 4 speed likes this.

1970 Chevelle SS454 19/19 LS6 M22 ZL2 3.31
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 19, 9:02 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Man Cave collectible material for sure. I have a few unopened metal cans of Genie "snake oils" from the late 50's/early 60's in my collection.

post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 19, 10:40 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoP View Post
the waxy buildup on engines back then was most likely from lack of oil changes. I have used,since 1968, probably just about all the different brands of oil that have been on the market, Safeway Grocery store oil was one of them, I had no problems with any buildup on any engine in any vehicle I ever owned. It's a myth!!
I highly doubt Safeway supermarket owned their own oil refinery, so in essence it was name brand oil in a bottle labeled Safeway, which was the point ai believe Leo was making. If you have ever been in an.oil refinery you will find a lot of them bottle oil under many different names and it is all the same stuff from name brand to stuff you never heard of.
Dean and LeoP like this.
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 19, 7:31 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Garage

I use old oil for weed killer..
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 19, 8:10 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

marc1 I am not very puter savy and have not ever tried to post pics.....but , when I figure out how to use this new iPhone 8 I'll post a pic. For many years I argued with my Dad that not all the additives in top name brand oil as marketed was worth the extra money paid . He would not have it. Then, my step brother who works on a military base as a civilian had a class to attend. He made friends with a guy there whose job it was to bottle Valvalein oil in Wally world brand containers. He finally believes. I just assumed most retailed oils, NOT specialtes, were like gas, they only make low and high octane gas. The name brand guys just add 5 gallon buckets of their additives when the tankers fill up at the terminals. So, not saying Wally World oil is the exact same Valvalien brand, but that is who was doing the bottling at that time.
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 19, 2:16 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Ok marc1, I got it posted ....now how do I get it turned upright....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0046.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	588516  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in