Trying to find axle stamping on a Camaro 12 bolt.. - Chevelle Tech
Misc (NON CHEVELLE AUTOMOTIVE TECH) This section is for the Non-Chevelle Related automotive questions/answers or discussion.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Saltherring
  • 1 Post By X-77keith

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 19, 1:50 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Trying to find axle stamping on a Camaro 12 bolt..

Guys, in moving my old junk to my new home , I looked really hard to find axle stamping on a 12 bolt rear axle I removed from a 68 Z 28 back in 1974. All the Chevelles have the stamping just to the left of the main hub. The number 2 is the ONLY stamp I can find on the entire axle. Do we know IF those axles were stamped at all . I assumed they were all made in Buffalo at that time and thought I would at least find that stamp. The Z cars had a torque rod bracket welded on...could it have been under there. thanks for any info.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 19, 8:33 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Don

Re: Trying to find axle stamping on a Camaro 12 bolt..

I thought just the "67" HP Camaro's Z/28,L78 ect. (monoleaf) used the torque (radius) rod? "68"s went to multileaf springs and staggered shock's. Not a Camaro guy so someone correct me if I'm wrong.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 19, 9:58 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ole

Garage

I do not remember a "torque rod bracket" on '69 Z/28 Camaros. I worked on many of my friends' cars and none had this to my recollection.

The axle stamping should be on the forward radius of the passenger side axle tube, about one foot outboard of the pumpkin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dad 1969 Z28 Camaro .jpg
Views:	16
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	585222  
Steve R likes this.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 19, 8:20 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I will check again in that area real good....will get out the wire brush. Not sure on the 67 and 69 Z s but I saw several 68 Zs with the torque rod. I KNOW this is a factory 4.10 posi from the 68, but with no stamping no way to prove it. Wished I had of gotten the whole car. The owner lost it one nite and centered the drivers door in to a telephone pole. Floor boards and roof pretty crushed. That could have been fixed today but back then we just scraped them. He had sold the motor, tranny by the time I got there. I took out the 12 bolt, clutch pedals, hideaway head lights, real tail lights and speed/tack gauges. A real X car....but O Well....
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 19, 8:36 PM
Tech Team
KEITH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don B View Post
I thought just the "67" HP Camaro's Z/28,L78 ect. (monoleaf) used the torque (radius) rod? "68"s went to multileaf springs and staggered shock's. Not a Camaro guy so someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Don is correct. 68/69 would not have a torque rod. That was only a 67 thing. X. Codes did not come around till 69. I have. Had 29 Camaro's. Currently I have a X77. If the rear was indeed out of a 68, it was welded on after the car was purchased new. The rod would not have been beneficial on a 68 though.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0601181019_1549244132601.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	585262  
Steve R likes this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 19, 6:36 AM
Senior Tech Team
Brian

Look here: 1967-69 Camaro Drivetrain Decoding
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 19, 6:44 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Don

Thank's for verification Keith,I've got a friend with 4 Camaros,68Z,two 69Z's,69 COPO and he just purchased an original 67 L78 and it's the only one with the torque(radius)rod.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 19, 8:01 AM
Tech Team
KEITH

The torque rod was a early fix for axle wrap. It was a mid year, maybe a little earlier tban that fix. The dealer would install it if you complained. Some 67's can be found without them, but they are few and far.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 19, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

No X cars till 69, no torque rods after 67, seems I KNOW so much these days about things that just ain t so...ha ha. I love this site with so many that are fact checkers and keep us armed to true accounts. I do thank you for correcting me when I'm in error. Did some digging thanks to buenmayor s post and found out I have a 67 12 bolt, cast C 31 7, code QL, a 3.31 non posi, that was assembled May 08 , 2nd shift by Detroit Gear. stamp 05 08 G2. I was told by PO it was the original rear and I believed he believed it was. I removed the series 4 Eaton posi unit and the ring and pinion are GM gears stamped with a late 67 date. Ovuously someone built this axle for some heavy hammering prior to.

X77, thank you much. My plain Jane 67 Camaro , 210 327, power glide , 10 bolt has no radias rod bracket. Obviously it did not need one......do you know when they were used....12 bolt big block cars or certain gear ratios used or high hp engine combos. My older drag racer friend had a shop out back I use to hang out with. I remember seeing several 68 Zs cars in there for work, all small block cars that had the radias rods , and just assumed they were factory.....now I know they were added..thanks again.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 19, 2:04 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jon N.

Camaro Research Group

All the Camaro info you are likely to need about 67-69 Camaros.

Jon N.

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.

BIGOT is a word used by people that can't use logical reasoning to prove that you are wrong when you don't agree with them.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 19, 4:28 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ole

Garage

Most (all?) of the '67 Camaros came equipped with mono leaf rear springs. SS 396 models had a single traction bar on the passenger side. I recall riding in an L35/T400 convertible back in '68 that was so equipped. I can't recall ever seeing a documented, original '67 Z/28 so I'm uncertain of the spring configuration. Most '68s, again, were mono leaf. '69 SS cars came with 5-leaf rear springs and the Z/28 with 4-leaf springs if I remember correctly. Many guys back then ran rear slapper bars like my brother-in-laws former car, still owned by the guy he sold it to in 1973. The photo below is of the same car as the one I posted above, but this one is from last summer. Note the Ansen Ground Grabber bars, bolted on by the car's original owner in 1969.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7144.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	585390  
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 19, 4:39 PM
Tech Team
KEITH

If i recall the arm was a big block thing. Some dealers would ad them to whatever. The mono leaf was still used through 69. The 68 Z/28 had 4 leaves like in 69. So no need for the arm. The CRG is full of this kind of info. If im not mistaken the arms were put on a lot more firebird than Camaro's. The X codes came out in 69, and was only on the Norwood cars. The Van Nuys cars had no X codes at all. The rear you have has value. Drum to drum they are going for North of $2K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in