Questions About Electric Cars - Chevelle Tech
Misc (NON CHEVELLE AUTOMOTIVE TECH) This section is for the Non-Chevelle Related automotive questions/answers or discussion.

27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 19, 6:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage
Questions About Electric Cars

In my town they put a line of charging stations in a parking lot near a Dunkin Donuts. I was sitting there the other day having a coffee and I think it may have been one of those Tesla's that drove in and a lady got out and hooked it up to be charged. I was wondering if anyone knows how long does it take to charge one of these cars and how cheap it is. The charging stations also have Tesla on them.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 19, 7:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Eric

Re: Questions About Electric Cars

Time to charge depends on the charging station. The fast oned (120KW) take about an hour and a half for a full charge. The cheap ones that most public chargers are take like 9.5 hours. That's for a full charge, I think the idea of the public ones is to just add a little to keep you moving.
HKalin likes this.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 19, 7:25 PM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

I had one of the first Chev Volts. It came with a 110V charging cord. It took over 8 hours on that. I had a charging station installed which was 220v. The charge time according to the display on it said was in the 4.5 hour range. I understand they’re quicker now.

There was a period of time where I could make my daily drive without any fuel then charge it every night. My electric bill went up about $35 per month. I spend about $70 a week in gasoline for my Suburban.
HKalin likes this.

Mencken: “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 19, 8:36 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

EVs are all "the rage" with some folks who think they're doing a good thing for the environment by being "green." Unfortunately, all they're doing is moving from gasoline consumption (and all its bad stuff) to coal consumption (and all its worse stuff).

If the power company could guarantee me that the electricity I use to juice up an EV came from 100% renewable energy, I'd be all over an EV. Since they can't I'll just keep buying "corn gas (ethanol)" for the 2015 Impala.
Clint44, blm, busterwivell and 3 others like this.

Our You Tube Vids:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 19, 10:12 PM
Tech Team
Brad

Garage

My friend has a Tesla and the usual idea is that they stop off at a "Supercharger" station for 20-30 minutes to get half a charge. It's not linear, so people usually do the quick charge unless they are stopping for a meal. It depends on the model and when they bought. He gets free use of the Supercharging stations.

As for coal, I don't think we have any coal plants in California, so the offset is not nearly as bad as you think. And my buddy also has solar panels on his house. His bills are close to zero, with A/C and a swimming pool.
HKalin likes this.

Brad Waller
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'66 Corvette | 352/??? | 4-speed | Wilwood Brakes | 245/50/16
'67 Chevelle | ex-SS396 | 355/700R4 | F-Body Brakes | 275/40/17
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 19, 10:50 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

I used to think/say the same thing about relocating the burning of fuel on electrics, but ignoring wind/solar/hydro/nuke. Even with coal and oil power plants, they are much more efficient at converting the heat of combustion to movement than a piston engine. So it is a win all the way around.
HKalin likes this.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 19, 11:20 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

EV's are popular in certain areas. My BIL who lives in Austin has a Tesla and also manages a new high rise in downtown Austin and says they are offering charging stations for every resident.
Last year I spent 6 weeks working in Savannah GA and was staying in a hotel. After about 4 weeks my car was getting pretty dirty. I started eyeing up the outdoor hose reels at the hotel across the street and one day thought I would slide over there and wash my car.
When I went over there I found they weren't hose reels at all but electric charging stations.
Just as well because they probably would have kicked me out anyway.
HKalin likes this.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 19, 11:35 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Every time I think about battery powered cars I can't help but think of all the battery powered tools and their chargers I've thrown away.

A friend has had one for several years now and it still looks and drives like new after using it to drive back and forth to work every day.
HKalin and blue_69_malibu like this.

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 19, 12:14 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Every time I think about battery powered cars I can't help but think of all the battery powered tools and their chargers I've thrown away.

A friend has had one for several years now and it still looks and drives like new after using it to drive back and forth to work every day.
Dean, you bring up a good point. What does one do as the EV vehicle ages. Will they be forced to buy new batteries at half the original cost of the vehicle? Will they suffer from diminished capacity of the aging batteries? Can the original batteries be rebuilt? Will they be required to be rebuilt? Is there an age that the battery becomes more of a liability than an advantage?
HKalin and blue_69_malibu like this.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 19, 1:45 PM
Tech Team
Bill

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
Dean, you bring up a good point. What does one do as the EV vehicle ages. Will they be forced to buy new batteries at half the original cost of the vehicle? Will they suffer from diminished capacity of the aging batteries? Can the original batteries be rebuilt? Will they be required to be rebuilt? Is there an age that the battery becomes more of a liability than an advantage?
I have wondered that too but hybrid cars have been out for a decade and I have never heard of anyone needing to buy batteries for them.
HKalin likes this.

1969 Sport Coupe SS Tribute Cortez Silver 454 400TH
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 19, 2:15 PM
Tech Team
Dan

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickeyChevelle View Post
EVs are all "the rage" with some folks who think they're doing a good thing for the environment by being "green." Unfortunately, all they're doing is moving from gasoline consumption (and all its bad stuff) to coal consumption (and all its worse stuff).

If the power company could guarantee me that the electricity I use to juice up an EV came from 100% renewable energy, I'd be all over an EV. Since they can't I'll just keep buying "corn gas (ethanol)" for the 2015 Impala.
The term "green" is being overused and abused. But if it makes people feel good, so be it. And yeah, most people with the Prius just dont get that the electricity that is going into their car is being produced by fuel on the other end.
Really dive into the world of wind turbines and you will learn they are pretty far from being "green" as well.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 19, 3:51 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

There is a growing support industry that takes "packs" from things like Prius and tests each cell and replaces bad ones. Much cheaper than new, and you get back most of new performance. Also some (BMW maybe) companies are actually warranty/guarantee the battery capacity. Something like "will have 70% after 5 years" or something like that. I would say that there are still a lot of improvements coming, but in every way, electric cars are here mainstream and are usable. I think everyone should get one. More gas leftover for my cars!
As for me personally getting one,
1 - I would love to add a relatively cheap add-on electric drive to the El Camino, partially for kicks, and partially so I can part in a plug in spot legitimately and see what the Nissan Leaf guys do.
2 - I have seriously considered getting a Cadillac ELR (basically a 2 Door Volt that looks nicer, which is basically a Cruze with ranger extender hybrid)
I wish you had removable powerplants on things like the Volt which is considered a "range extender" where the car is effectively a plug in electric car, but has a usable gas engine so you could drive non-stop across the country. The downside is, when you are running local on electric, you are hauling around hundreds of pounds of engine, or long trips, tons of batteries and electric motors.
HKalin likes this.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 19, 5:16 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

I talked to my friend at our Chevelle Club lunch today and he said when he bought his Volt eight years ago the life expectancy of the batteries was fifteen years with a replacement cost expectancy of $10,000.00 but he thinks it is much cheaper now due to better technology and methods.

He said "I'll cross that bridge when I get to it"

He loves his Volt and not having to buy gasoline.
HKalin likes this.

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 19, 6:13 PM
Tech Team

If I remember right, the cost of electricity to run an electric car is about 1/3 the cost of gasoline for the same distance.
HKalin likes this.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 19, 8:28 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

My wife bought this last week just to drive around locally, fairly new lake front park 12-13 blks away, ball field, my shop is about 10 blocks away, conv. store and dog rides, 6-8 volt batteries built in 120 volt charger and does 30 mph and street legal, I think EV's are here to stay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190117_174307.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	584582   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190117_174323.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	584584   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190121_172601.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	584586  
mr 4 speed likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in