Questions About Electric Cars - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Misc (NON CHEVELLE AUTOMOTIVE TECH) This section is for the Non-Chevelle Related automotive questions/answers or discussion.

27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 19, 7:41 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage
Re: Questions About Electric Cars

I was only able to load 3 pics but here's the batteries and it's supposed to get 25-30 miles on a charge, 5-5.5 years on batteries and $550-$850 for new bat. set, grocery store isn't too far either come to think of it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190121_172449.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	584588   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190118_093353.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	584590  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 19, 11:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SS454 View Post
...hybrid cars have been out for a decade and I have never heard of anyone needing to buy batteries for them.
You should have... Its pretty common for Hybrids to need battery replacement after 150,000-200,000 miles...

My neighbor has a 2005 Prius (I am thinking of buying it), and I was researching the cost of battery replacement... Then the neighbor told me he already had the battery replaced about 2 years ago, genuine Toyota battery, cost $3500 with labor and 3-year warrantee...

But on the Prius, the battery consists of numerous "cells" or modules (I think it was 28 modules on those older Prius'), and you can buy new modules for about $80 each and used/tested/warrantied modules for as low as $30 each... Takes a few hours, but it not a difficult job for a handy person or gearhead ( I watched several YouTube videos)... From what I was reading, usually its just a module of two that go bad, and rarely does the entire battery fail...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sold

Sold

&

post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 19, 2:06 AM
Team Member
Tony

Garage

Sooo....what happens to the batteries when an EV is junked?

Are they reusable.....or will we have battery grave yards at some point?

'69 Malibu 383/TCI TH350/8.2 3.36 Eaton Posi. Street Edge 10" 2800, E-Tec 170s, Custom Mike Jones HR Cam, RPM Air-Gap, StreetAvenger 770, Pertronix HEI, Hedman 1 5/8" Headers, Moser Axles, PMT 1320R Kit. [email protected] 111 MPH, 1.6865 60 ft, Nitto 555

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 19, 3:37 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Michael

In my recent training we were told the lithium-ion packs that make up the Jaguar I-pace are able to be broken down and sold to cell phone companies. When the life of the battery reaches under a certain level they are to be replaced and recycled. Tesla batteries are basically thousands of 18650 batteries, the same ones used in rechargeable power tools, vacuum cleaners, flashlights, etc.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 19, 6:21 AM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

I'm excited about it actually. Most of these motors in these EV's max torque is rated at near or 0 rpm = how can you not love that!

As far as battery replacement cost, figure my 2018 Camry that gets over 30mpg with my driving uses about $75 (current prices)/month which is about $840/yr x 10 yrs = $8400.00. Seems to be about the price of replacement batteries in these EV's. And no timing chains, oil changes, antifreeze, spark plugs, trans oil, mufflers etc etc. I'm curious to see what the maintenance is on these EV drivelines. These are induction motors I believe - they dot even have brushes AFAIK.

But some controller or something will need to be replaced that will cost like 4800.00 or so lol!

*69 SS 502 EFI /224* HR/9.8:1/T56/3.90 11.5/124mph
*11 C6, 6.2, 6spd
*96 Stang 6.0 turbo 10.5/135mph
*2011 Mustang GT premium
*61" Scag Kohler 22hp 7mph
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 19, 7:55 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

I was surprised yesterday I went to a Chevrolet dealer just to look around and they had about a half dozen of the Chevrolet Volts on their lot and even had a row of charging stations. Before you were lucky to see one Volt on the lot.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 19, 10:38 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70montee View Post
The term "green" is being overused and abused. But if it makes people feel good, so be it. .
exactly.what was it said years ago that the hummer was greener then a prius.because of the toxic nature of the battery.so toxic they are made in china that has no environmental laws.where are tesla batteries made??
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 19, 11:44 AM
Tech Team
Bill

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966_L78 View Post
My neighbor has a 2005 Prius (I am thinking of buying it), and I was researching the cost of battery replacement... Then the neighbor told me he already had the battery replaced about 2 years ago, genuine Toyota battery, cost $3500 with labor and 3-year warrantee...
If the battery goes bad on a hybrid, will it still drive ok on the gas powered charger?

1969 Sport Coupe SS Tribute Cortez Silver 454 400TH
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 19, 7:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Garage

Yep Prius battery life is about 150K miles. Chevy and Ford batteries last 15 years. I seen Ford vehicles with 700K and still original batteries. Just read the NY taxi article on there fleet of Ford hybrid escapes. They put 500K on the fleet and never replaced a single battery. Yet Toyota and Honda replace them all the time.

I drive a Lincoln MKZ Hybrid. Love it. I get 43 mpg city. Never have to charge it and no distance limitations. The Chevy Volt will be my next hybrid. They get like 150 mpg. But I always been a Lincoln guy for luxury cars so maybe.

64 Chevelle 496
64 F100 Street Rod with BBC /Chevy trapped in a ford body
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 19, 7:23 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SS454 View Post
If the battery goes bad on a hybrid, will it still drive ok on the gas powered charger?

Hybrid is not a electric car with a gas charger . Hybrid is a gas powered car that is electric assist. Yes the engine charges the battery as you drive. But a hybrid is a gas engine with say 150 HP engine plus a electric motor with say 75 HP. So when your driving down the road the electric motor helps the gas engine and inturn gets great fuel economy. So with most Hybrids you really dont do anything different as a normal car. Plug in Hybrids are different as in if you keep them charged by there plug the engine stays off and get even better fuel mileage.

Yes you can still drive a hybrid on a bad battery and have a check engine light. But it really depends on what system of the battery that is bad.
Alan F likes this.

64 Chevelle 496
64 F100 Street Rod with BBC /Chevy trapped in a ford body
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 19, 8:34 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeepeople View Post
exactly.what was it said years ago that the hummer was greener then a prius.because of the toxic nature of the battery.so toxic they are made in china that has no environmental laws.where are tesla batteries made??
Last I heard Tesla has or is building a battery factory in Nevada

Ed

70 El Camino SS 396
68 GTO (Thanks Mom)
06 Silverado
07 SRX
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 19, 9:05 AM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

To my way of thinking a big part of the evolution to battery powered vehicles is the problems with liquid fuels. Even when there is a shortage of hydrocarbon fuels, there are still other sources of energy.

As with everything else, when demand goes up, there is a near term supply problem. If markets are left to adapt, there will be a greater supply which in the long term makes electricity more cost effective.

Unlike hydrocarbon supplies, there is not a free market. The Middle East is the biggest lecher in the world and have their finger on the scale. I personally would vote my money to not support their stranglehold on our dollars.

Almost everyday when I witness traffic, I think how insane that all those engines are running and polluting with all of those vehicles sitting still. It appears insane to me. Admittedly Iím part of the problem too.
StevenS likes this.

People donít like to have to think in high resolution. Jordan Peterson. Thatís why we are forced in to so many binary choices.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 19, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

Yesterday morning I stopped at DD for a coffee again. There were 4 Tesla's charging up. I noticed when they would pull away there was no smoke coming out of their exhaust even though it was cold enough outside is that because they are electric powered. Since they put that charging station in it seems like there are more electric cars around than you thought there were.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 19, 10:32 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKalin View Post
There were 4 Tesla's charging up. I noticed when they would pull away there was no smoke coming out of their exhaust even though it was cold enough outside is that because they are electric powered.
There IS no exhaust. They're entirely electric-no internal combustion engine is present at all.
HKalin likes this.

'71 chevelle, 468, TH400, 12 bolt posi w/3.08's, drinks a lot of 87 octane.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 19, 12:38 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ed

Garage

Article in the March issue of Hemmings Muscle Machines about two 2019 COPO Camaros Chevrolet is building.
The first is a 427 LSX of which only 69 will be built. Customers can register for a chance to buy one.
Second is an eCOPO. 2019 all electric COPO Camaro with an electric motor rated at 700 HP and 600 lb-ft of torque bolted to a T400. This new motor will have an LS bell housing pattern and crank flange. 800 volt battery pack.
The future looks interesting.
HKalin likes this.

Ed

70 El Camino SS 396
68 GTO (Thanks Mom)
06 Silverado
07 SRX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in