I have a 2012 Chrysler Town and Country head light recomendation - Chevelle Tech
Misc (NON CHEVELLE AUTOMOTIVE TECH) This section is for the Non-Chevelle Related automotive questions/answers or discussion.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Schurkey
  • 1 Post By SSR71

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 19, 3:46 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

I have a 2012 Chrysler Town and Country head light recomendation

I am wanting to upgrade the headlights on the van to see better at night in the rain and such..so many types out there..can anyone steer me in the right direction for ease of installation and best one..without getting crazy on the price?

TC #0672
1972 SS 454 M22
"W " Code Midnight Bronze
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 19, 4:31 PM
Gold Founding Member

Re: I have a 2012 Chrysler Town and Country head light recomendation

FIRST, verify voltage AT THE BULBS. If you have less than 12.8 volts with the lights on, engine running and alternator charging, fix the wire harness. Voltage should be between 12.8 and 13.2. Higher voltage than 13.2 will brighten the lights, but shorten headlight life. Verify that there's NO voltage on the ground wire. Repair as needed.

SECOND, verify that the headlights are aimed properly.

THIRD, verify that the headlight covers aren't cloudy. The NHTSA should issue a recall on EVERY vehicle sold in the USA that has cloudy headlights. Since they won't, it's up to you to make sure the crappy plastic lens remains clear.

FOURTH, verify that the headlight reflectors are still in good condition. I replaced a bunch of sealed-beams because they still worked--but the reflectors were in such bad condition that half the light was shining backwards into the headlight bucket.

AFTER you've done all that, and the lights aren't bright enough for you...try some different bulbs. There's aftermarket incandescent replacements with higher wattage (but not DOT legal, of course) and then there's a whole pile of cheap-crap Chinese "HID" and "LED" stuff, which probably won't work properly with the reflectors you have.
Chevelle_Nut likes this.

Did you SEARCH BEFORE POSTING a new thread?
Did you post in the CORRECT FORUM?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 19, 11:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

Some folks like the Sylvania Bright Star headlight bulbs!

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction
www.mdchevelleclub.com

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 19, 1:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Kevin

I agree that checking the wiring would be the first step. However, I'd be rather shocked if a 2012 vehicle was still running headlight power through the entire harness and not through relays located up near the rad support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoP View Post
Some folks like the Sylvania Bright Star headlight bulbs!
That would be Silver Star. The "Ultra" are the higher grade. They also have the "ZXE" line that emulates the HID spectrum... and I'm sure are quite a bit more $. I've been using the GE Nighthawk line on my truck after having too many Silverstars burn out within months. They too are in multiple grades. I use the "Platinum". They've been holding up quite well for me but may not be quite as good as the Sylvania.

https://www.bulbfacts.com/halogen-bulbs/recommended/

Based on that site's testing, the OSRAM Night breaker bulbs were the brightest. And I will likely be going with them for my SSR (assuming they have appropriate bulbs). But, better bulbs will only help so much. The fact is that these modern headlight assemblies are total crap from day 1 because they're made for aero and visual appeal, not function. The SSR is a good example - not the best throw and a horrible cutoff. The Silverstars were definitely an improvement (GE didn't have a matching bulb), but they're still lacking.
LeoP likes this.

2017 SS
1972 El Camino Custom
2005 SSR 6-speed
1999 Silverado
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 19, 2:48 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Cory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
FIRST, verify voltage AT THE BULBS. If you have less than 12.8 volts with the lights on, engine running and alternator charging, fix the wire harness. Voltage should be between 12.8 and 13.2. Higher voltage than 13.2 will brighten the lights, but shorten headlight life. Verify that there's NO voltage on the ground wire. Repair as needed.
SECOND, verify that the headlights are aimed properly.
THIRD, verify that the headlight covers aren't cloudy. The NHTSA should issue a recall on EVERY vehicle sold in the USA that has cloudy headlights. Since they won't, it's up to you to make sure the crappy plastic lens remains clear.
FOURTH, verify that the headlight reflectors are still in good condition. I replaced a bunch of sealed-beams because they still worked--but the reflectors were in such bad condition that half the light was shining backwards into the headlight bucket.
AFTER you've done all that, and the lights aren't bright enough for you...try some different bulbs. There's aftermarket incandescent replacements with higher wattage (but not DOT legal, of course) and then there's a whole pile of cheap-crap Chinese "HID" and "LED" stuff, which probably won't work properly with the reflectors you have.

Once again...Schurkey knocks it outa the park.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 19, 7:35 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

How many miles/hours are on the factory bulbs. I had a 2002 T&C Limited that was the best vehicle I ever owned (from style, comfort, usability... nothing like hauling a lawn tractor or 17 sheets of drywall behind you with your butt in comfortable suede trimmed leather captains chairs). Pretty much my only complaint from new was poor headlights. I ended up putting in the best/most expensive over the counter bulbs in for kicks. I believe they were the Sylvania Ultras. They made a very noticeable difference. Also I filled in the rebate form, so now I am a "registered" owner of the bulbs, and I got some check or mail or something from a class action law suit that they mis-represented the bulbs performance or some BS. All I know is they helped, and I was pleased. Try them, try either just plain cheap new bulbs, or splurge and get the best you can find. It will only cost you a tank of gas.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 19, 7:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer4x4 View Post
How many miles/hours are on the factory bulbs.
That's also a good point. All incandescent bulbs will degrade over time. When I got around to upgrading the bulbs on my SSR, the high beam bulbs (which obviously see far less usage) had a noticeable brown tint to them from internal oxidation. I wish I had taken a picture of them before tossing.

2017 SS
1972 El Camino Custom
2005 SSR 6-speed
1999 Silverado
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 19, 7:46 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Andy

The TIPM (Total Integrated Power Module) that powers those bulbs are around $1200 installed. If you NEED an upgrade, upgrade the van.

Want to mess with that TIPMs constitution, go aftermarket bulbs.

This coming from the guy that does this stuff every day.

And yes, Shurkey is a poet.

Couple of junkers and a few clunkers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in