2000 Astro Van Weird Brake Issue... - Chevelle Tech
Misc (NON CHEVELLE AUTOMOTIVE TECH) This section is for the Non-Chevelle Related automotive questions/answers or discussion.

4Likes
  • 4 Post By WakkoWarner

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 19, 3:02 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage
2000 Astro Van Weird Brake Issue...

Not too long ago, I put new brakes on the front my mom's 2000 Astro van, complete with new rotors. At the start, everything was fine. Now they have gotten a few hundred miles on them, they have developed a weird pulsating sound. The sound also is 'rough' (best way I can describe it). The rotors themselves are fine - no rough spots or indication of metal to metal contact. The pads that I put on were the Durlast GT52 pads and the rotors are AC Delco long life units.

Today I swapped the pads out for a set of the Wagner Thermoquiet ceramics. I took it for a drive and the noise has been greatly lessened, but it is still there. Does anyone have an idea on what might be causing it. The rotors spin freely and I can not feel any rough spots. The only noise is from the dang plastic housing for the ABS (attached to the backing plate). It rubs just a little, but all of the rotors that I have ever used have done the same thing without making this new pulsating sound.

If anyone has any ideas, your input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 19, 3:09 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

Re: 2000 Astro Van Weird Brake Issue...

Can you feel the pulsating in the brake pedal?

If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 19, 3:28 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly's 70 View Post
Can you feel the pulsating in the brake pedal?
No pulsating in the pedal at all - it is steady and smooth. I am wondering if it was created because the GT52 pads are really more of a performance oriented pad (I run the same ones on my Chevelle) and that they did something weird to the rotor. It is significantly quieter now. I told her to go easy on the brakes for the first 50 or so miles, so maybe it will straighten out - who knows.

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 19, 3:33 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

Did you use a torque wrench to tighten the wheels?

If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 19, 3:48 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly's 70 View Post
Did you use a torque wrench to tighten the wheels?
Never have and it has never been an issue. As I stated in my previous post, it was fine until a few weeks ago - no noise at all when I had everything installed new.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 19, 4:14 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

Yea, I thinking the pads. Maybe they didn't get seated good enough. You'll get better help than me soon. LOL

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 19, 4:58 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Swap pads from one side of the car to the other. If it goes away, great. If it stays, rotor or wheel bearing. If it moves, pads.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 19, 5:01 PM
Tech Team

What type/brand rotors? You can get warped rotors even when they are new.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 19, 6:01 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer4x4 View Post
Swap pads from one side of the car to the other. If it goes away, great. If it stays, rotor or wheel bearing. If it moves, pads.
I just put new pads on it this morning - the old ones are not on the vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEN357 View Post
What type/brand rotors? You can get warped rotors even when they are new.
Per my original post, the rotors are AC Delco.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 19, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

I may pull the new rotors off on Friday morning and get them machined (I hate to have to do that to new rotors).

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 19, 2:34 AM
Senior Tech Team

Wheel hub?

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 19, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul bell View Post
Wheel hub?
The rotors attach just like Chevelle rotors. When the calipers are removed, the rotors spin freely with no rough spots. With the calipers installed, you just hear the noise from the pads as you spin the rotors (normal).

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 19, 10:31 AM
Tech Team

I usually buy the platinum pads and rotors from Advance Auto. I have had pretty good luck with them.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 19, 7:41 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakkoWarner View Post
The rotors attach just like Chevelle rotors.

OH SORRY. It's the AWD version that has wheel hubs.

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 19, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

I got freed up today, so I pulled the rotors and took them to the machine shop. When I went to pick them up, he said that one of them had some pretty decent warp to it. On the way home, I went ahead and purchased inner and outer wheel bearings, since I really don't know how long the current ones have been in there (the old bearings actually look really good).

I noticed that it was the ABS ring on the rotor that was scraping the plastic, so I tapped it down a bit which helped a lot (I did it to both of them, since they were both making contact). I took some emery cloth to the new brake pads, as they had some weird black coloring from operating on the unmachined rotors for some errands.

Once I got it all buttoned up, I took it for a drive. The brakes are very smooth and QUIET. We'll see how these Wagner Thermoquiet brake pads hold up over time.
427L88, LeoP, paul bell and 1 others like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in