76 Jag XJ12L Runs Rich - Chevelle Tech
Misc (NON CHEVELLE AUTOMOTIVE TECH) This section is for the Non-Chevelle Related automotive questions/answers or discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 19, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage
76 Jag XJ12L Runs Rich

So the kid next door asked me to help him figure out what's going on with this car. He's 21, a nice young man. I've known him since he was about 7. His parents are recently divorced, and this project was his dad's, someone I could call a friend.

I'm really hoping someone on here knows these things. It's a 12 cyl fuel injected model. Everything is present, but I can't find a breakdown on how it's intended to work. It has 2 tanks, one in each rear quarter, a single pump, and 2 "solenoids" that are supposed to open/close to direct fuel flow and return to each tank.

A it is, it will start and run, but it's so rich, it's like a diesel "rolling coal". Absolutely terrible. After a few minutes it gets so rich it won't run anymore. Basically, I'm trying to find out what is supposed to regulate this system and would appreciate any knowledgable input.

Thanks,

Devin

Just an El Camino
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Son's build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My never-ending project:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 19, 9:13 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage
Re: 76 Jag XJ12L Runs Rich

If it has O2 sensors, start there.
Also, start by disconnecting injectors and see if it clears up. Those old injectors can clog/stick/wear and just flow fuel.
^ (All just W.A.G. on my part)

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 19, 3:19 PM
Senior Tech Team
gary

Iím not a jag mechanic but when an engine first starts the O2 sensors are not controling the fuel mixture. I googled this info. It talks about a ground problem. Electronic Fuel Injection
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7E66449F-DD19-47C4-A0E6-CFF95A927CA7.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	199.5 KB
ID:	582194  

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 19, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967 chevelle malibu View Post
Iím not a jag mechanic but when an engine first starts the O2 sensors are not controling the fuel mixture. I googled this info. It talks about a ground problem. Electronic Fuel Injection
Interesting article. I had done some searching but hadn't found that. It describes his symptoms to a T.

Thanks,

Devin

Just an El Camino

Son's build:

My never-ending project:
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 19, 3:39 AM
Senior Tech Team
Gary

the fuel injection used on that thing is a Bosch designed lucas system. it pulses the injectors from a constant pressure rail system but uses an old analog contoller with transisters. 1st thing i would do with that is remove it and adapt a new efi system from holley etc or better yet a new gm ls engine. theres people out there that rebuild and produce new components for the factory system but i would guess none of its cheap
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 19, 2:21 PM
Gold Founding Member

If this is a 1976 model year vehicle, you can rule out O2 sensors and a "feedback" style computer. There may be an electronic box, but it won't rely on O2 feedback.

I'd be looking at fuel pressure, and put an inductive ammeter "low amps" clamp on the injector wires to see how much current they're drawing. If you find some that draw more current than others, those will probably have shorted windings. An amp-clamp connected to an oscilloscope is best for this because then you can compare the oscilloscope patterns of the injectors to see if there are one or more that look substantially different from the others.

If the system won't hold fuel pressure, you've potentially got stuck-open injectors. If the pressure regulator was stuck open, fuel pressure would be low, it's unlikely that the engine would be so rich. A failed diaphragm in the pressure regulator could allow un-metered fuel into the intake manifold(s), though. Pull the vacuum hose on the regulator to see if there's fuel on the vacuum side of the diaphragm.

I wonder if you can find an on-line service manual for this cat.

As with anything electronic, MAKE SURE THE SYSTEM VOLTAGE IS PROPER. Low--or high--voltage can do crazy things with electronic systems.

Find out what the kid and his dad have dicked with...you'll want to assure they didn't play pin-the-tail-on-the-distributor, or some such.

Did you SEARCH BEFORE POSTING a new thread?
Did you post in the CORRECT FORUM?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 19, 2:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Follow the air intake tubing if its an early Bosch type system it may lead to a box looking aparatus with a 5 or 6 wire plug atached to it.This "air box" contains the air valve with a plate that rises and falls as air flows through the box and that is what regulates the amount of fuel entering the engine.If it has this Bosch (kind of mechanical/electronic injection) it is very important that there is no unmeasured air entering the engine's intake after the air valve.As more air enters the air box the air valve opens further and then more fuel is metered in.
First thing you have to do is open up the air filter (should be directly above the air valve) and make sure nothing is out of place and that none of the rubber intake hoses between the box and the throttle plate are ripped.Make sure no debris has fallen in there and is holding the air valve open or not allowing it to close.There is also a base idle adjustment that can be adjusted that some people try screwing with and that may be over-adjusted.
If it is an early Bosch type injection show some pictures as I may have an old repair manual for working on those systems.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 19, 4:35 PM
Gold Founding Member

How'd this turn out?

I have a soft spot in my head for Jags, and V-12s in particular.

Did you SEARCH BEFORE POSTING a new thread?
Did you post in the CORRECT FORUM?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 19, 1:20 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Devin

Garage

I havenít had a chance to get back to it since I posted. Iíll report back if I figure anything out.

Devin

Just an El Camino

Son's build:

My never-ending project:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in