JD Lawn Tractor Hydrostatic - Chevelle Tech
Misc (NON CHEVELLE AUTOMOTIVE TECH) This section is for the Non-Chevelle Related automotive questions/answers or discussion.

25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 18, 6:11 PM Thread Starter
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

JD Lawn Tractor Hydrostatic

Anyone have an inkling of what could be wrong? Was mowing grass today with my old JD 175 Hydro and everything was fine til all of a sudden without warning something let go completely in the hydro unit. Belt is fine but unit won't move the tractor forward or reverse and brake doesn't work. Hydro unit pulley just freewheels like it's not connected. Can push the tractor around as if it's in neutral, no matter what position speed control is in or if parking brake is on. Fluid is full and clean. With engine running and shifter/speed control moved to forward or reverse I can hear the engine tone change slightly like the pump is working. Obviously something broke.

von '69 Malibu Team Chevelle Member #15
[img]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 18, 6:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ole

Garage
Re: JD Lawn Tractor Hydrostatic

Have you checked to see if the drive pulley is spinning on its shaft? It could be as simple as a sheared roll pin or woodruff key, but I've seldom been that lucky.
LeoP likes this.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 18, 1:45 AM
Tech Team
Zip

Garage

Here's the Eaton model 7 service manual. You may be able to get some ideas of what let loose. I'm not familiar with Eaton's, so this is the best I could do...
https://www.scribd.com/doc/50699099/...service-manual

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 18, 5:25 PM
Gold Founding Member

There's various models of hydrostatic trans. My tractor has the cheapest, crappiest version. I'm told I can expect it to blow starting at 150 hours, and any time after that.

So far, so good.

You need to determine which model you have, and then find service info for that particular model.

Did you SEARCH BEFORE POSTING a new thread?
Did you post in the CORRECT FORUM?
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 18, 7:49 PM
Team Member
Roger

I have an x300 and had the same issue. Before I did some real troubleshooting, I was thinking the trans went bad. The JD dealer was going to charge me $750 for a new trans & installation.
When I removed the trans, I discovered that the trans drive pulley splines, inside the pulley, were stripped. The shaft out of the trans was fine. A new pulley cost about $30 and I did all the labor. I changed fluid while I had it out.
It appears that the pulley will last about 300 hrs. I think I can afford $30 every 300 hrs.
Good Luck
427L88 and LeoP like this.

1972 El Camino SS (sold)
1981 Camaro Z28
2005 Silverado 3500 LS
2013 Sierra 1500 SLT
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 18, 7:52 PM
Tech Team
Jim

My dad bought a JD 175 Hydro, ran it hard for over 20 years. After he passed, I sold it to a guy who runs an aviation business, he uses it to tow aircraft.
It's a solid machine with a strong transaxle, hope you can fix whatever is wrong.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 18, 11:23 PM
Tech Team
Zip

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
You need to determine which model you have, and then find service info for that particular model.
He posted he had the model 175. That was the service manual I supplied him. Except it's for a Wheel Horse.
Tractor Data shows his model 175 has the Eaton Model 7 trans, which was used in many different makes of lawn equipment.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 18, 1:02 AM
Tech Team
rick

I can't offer any help but I gotta ask, Von. are you talking about a JD 175 that they stopped making in the early 90's? if so, all I can say is holy cow! I know that was when JD lawn tractors were still made in the U.S. but you got some time out of that machine. got burned buying a consumer level JD in the past. So I started buying the cheapest machines with the most cylinders and power instead of going for name brand now. So far got lucky with an Ariens with a B&S 2 cylinder 14 hp machine. been beating it and it still runs. routinely mow a 2 acre field and have moved about 40 yards of gravel with a trailer over the past 5 years with not a hiccup.

good luck getting that thing going again. Hope you get it sorted.

67 Chevelle (current project)
72 D100 stepside (current side project)
73 D100 styleside (current side, side project)
65 el camino (sold)
95 GSXR750 (OEM restoration)
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 18, 5:31 AM Thread Starter
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

Yes it's a '90 JD 175. It's now just a back-up to a new JD zero-turn mower I bought last year and yes it lasted a long time as my only mower. It's had its share of minor problems but I was always able to fix it myself and I kept it well maintained. I mainly use it now just to mow a a strip next to woods a couple times a month and to occasionally tow a fertilizer spreader and other items. I found a service/repair manual CD for it on ebay for $13 shipped so I ordered that. The problem could be in the differential since the brake now doesn't work at all, which means it's probably not the pulley. I didn't realize that the hydro unit doesn't contain differential gears but is attached to a diff unit. Anyway I plan to make it a winter project to remove both and disassemble til I find the problem. My biggest fear at this point is finding whatever replacement part(s) I will need. Meanwhile at least I can still mow with the zero-turn.

[img]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 18, 8:46 AM
Gold Member
Gene

Good luck with it Von. I have the same unit, still in service ( small lawn tho) and oft wonder about that hydro unit.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 18, 10:30 AM
Tech Team
Mike

If you can push the tractor around, are you sure the manual hydro release isn't disengaged? The lever next to the bagger arm bracket on the back should be pushed in all the way. Maybe it backed out from vibration?
That's no Home Depot cheapo JD, so I doubt it just gave out...
427L88 likes this.

67 Chevelle 454, M21
Gen IV 454 (out of C30 ), 390 heads 1.88/2.19 valves by Vortecpro, with ISKY Hyd Roller cam (at 050 218 int./228 exh, lift 530 int./552 exh.), RPM performer intake, Fitech 600HP, Dougs headers, and M21, Gear Vendors OD, 3.73's, UMI Suspension, Viking coilovers.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 18, 4:44 PM Thread Starter
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdelgado View Post
If you can push the tractor around, are you sure the manual hydro release isn't disengaged? The lever next to the bagger arm bracket on the back should be pushed in all the way. Maybe it backed out from vibration?
That's no Home Depot cheapo JD, so I doubt it just gave out...
Yes I checked that earlier. The linkage connects to a plunger that goes into the unit. Externally it's working fine. I have the repair manual and I'm in the slow process of removing and disassembling the hydro/differential unit to find the problem.

[img]

post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 18, 6:16 PM
Tech Team
Stan

I've been on this forum since 2004. Several times I have posted what I believed to be interesting and real Chevelle related topics and was disappointed with how little response was generated. I think I might try posting Chevelle related stuff on a JD Garden Tractor forum and see how that goes.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 18, 12:02 PM
Tech Team
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanski View Post
I've been on this forum since 2004. Several times I have posted what I believed to be interesting and real Chevelle related topics and was disappointed with how little response was generated. I think I might try posting Chevelle related stuff on a JD Garden Tractor forum and see how that goes.

I'm a member of the JD Tractor forum too. I'll answer your Chevelle questions there
davewho1 likes this.

67 Chevelle 454, M21
Gen IV 454 (out of C30 ), 390 heads 1.88/2.19 valves by Vortecpro, with ISKY Hyd Roller cam (at 050 218 int./228 exh, lift 530 int./552 exh.), RPM performer intake, Fitech 600HP, Dougs headers, and M21, Gear Vendors OD, 3.73's, UMI Suspension, Viking coilovers.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 18, 12:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanski View Post
If you've been around here for that long, you should know that we help each other with all kinds of stuff.

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/11-...-guys-buy.html

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/11-...ning-safe.html

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/11-...e-holster.html

And Von has NEVER hesitated to help others with anything for as long as I've been here.
LeoP and davewho1 like this.

Mike

My

AACA Senior Grand National
Good Guys Muscle Car of the Year Finalist

Eckler's Winternationals Platinum 1000 pts
2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional 1000 Point Award

NPD Choice Award All GM Oktoberfest
6 times Concours d'Elegance Best in Class

MCC Platinum & 2 times People's Choice Award & Carolina Chevelle Club Best in Show

2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional "Dean Call Award"
2015 OPGI Original Restored Award

MCACN Gold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in