JD Lawn Tractor Hydrostatic - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Misc (NON CHEVELLE AUTOMOTIVE TECH) This section is for the Non-Chevelle Related automotive questions/answers or discussion.

25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 18, 5:05 AM Thread Starter
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

Re: JD Lawn Tractor Hydrostatic

I found the problem. The differential bevel gear on the left side stripped the splines on the axle. New axles are no longer available but found a good used pair on ebay. New bevel gear, gaskets, seals, etc., are still available and ordered. Tractor will be 29 yr old in a few days and will soldier on for occasional use.
427L88, LeoP, buenymayor and 6 others like this.

von '69 Malibu Team Chevelle Member #15
[img]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 18, 8:00 AM
Gold Member
Gene

Its certainly quite odd that right after this thread, and many years of service, my wife informed me that the John Deere " Stopped moving". Von you some kind of voodoo man? I'm following you right down the rabbit hole. it makes a great leaf sucker this time of year. Where did you get parts from?

THNX ZIP for the service manual , thats not one I had.

You could pop a wheelie with ours, until it gave out all of a sudden. I dont think MRS was dong wheelies with it when it happened!

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 18, 6:34 PM Thread Starter
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427L88 View Post
Its certainly quite odd that right after this thread, and many years of service, my wife informed me that the John Deere " Stopped moving". Von you some kind of voodoo man? I'm following you right down the rabbit hole. it makes a great leaf sucker this time of year. Where did you get parts from?

THNX ZIP for the service manual , thats not one I had.

You could pop a wheelie with ours, until it gave out all of a sudden. I dont think MRS was dong wheelies with it when it happened!
If your're lucky it's just the drive belt but it's a project just to change that.

I looked around for the best on-line prices for new JD parts. I got mine from www.greenfarmparts.com. Turns out they were right here in Indy and have several retail JD stores DBA Reynolds Farm Equipt. Be advised there are a few parts no longer available, such as axles. I was lucky enough to find some used ones on ebay. Got my hydro/diff unit back together and in the tractor today. Will complete the rest tomorrow and try it.
LeoP likes this.

[img]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 18, 5:18 AM Thread Starter
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

I might add, as far as leaves go, the smartest thing I ever did was buy a mulch kit for it. I put it on when the leaves start coming down and take it off in the spring. I have a bagger for it but quit using it since it's such a pain to use. It clogs so easily and you have to empty it after every lap around the yard. Much easier to just run over the leaves. Sometimes takes 2 or 3 passes but you get to remain sitting on your butt. Since I bought a zero turn tractor last year all I use the old 175 for is mulching leaves, Mowing along the woods, and pulling a cart and fertilizer spreader.
427L88 likes this.

[img]

post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 18, 8:09 PM Thread Starter
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

Got it completed and tested today. Works fine. It's funny the differential cases in these are made like car open diffs in miniature.
427L88 and 69SHEVL like this.

[img]

post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 18, 9:57 AM
Gold Member
Gene

Have to pull my axle assy out this weekend, in tomorrows rain. Its not the drive belt, the cheap Chicom one I bought is still intact. ( I bought 2 in case). Following your footsteps Von, and hope for the same result. Its "diff" season around here. 90K changes in my daily - DONE, have to reseal the Chevelle's 12 bolt and swap fluid ( check gears!) was tomorrows plan... , and now this...... AZZMAN I AM.......
von likes this.

Gene
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 18, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

Quote:
Have to pull my axle assy out this weekend, in tomorrows rain. Its not the drive belt, the cheap Chicom one I bought is still intact. ( I bought 2 in case). Following your footsteps Von, and hope for the same result. Its "diff" season around here. 90K changes in my daily - DONE, have to reseal the Chevelle's 12 bolt and swap fluid ( check gears!) was tomorrows plan... , and now this...... AZZMAN I AM.......
A factory tech manual for this model makes the job easier. You can view it by googling "John Deere TM1351" and click on "John Deere 175 Hydro Technical Manual". I found the best prices for new JD parts at www.greenfarmparts.com.

[img]

post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 18, 8:35 AM
Gold Member
Gene

The drive belt had jumped the tensioner is all. In my zeal to replace all fluids, the issue was not following my cardinal rule of making sure I have a proper fill opened before I drain anything - I drained the motor oil out of the transmission and then realized you cannot simply pour it back in through the fill funnel. SONOVA*****!
LeoP likes this.

Gene
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 18, 4:15 AM Thread Starter
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

Quote:
The drive belt had jumped the tensioner is all. In my zeal to replace all fluids, the issue was not following my cardinal rule of making sure I have a proper fill opened before I drain anything - I drained the motor oil out of the transmission and then realized you cannot simply pour it back in through the fill funnel. SONOVA*****!
Probably can fill it by taking the body and gas tank off to access the hydro vent. Not a huge deal. Look at the manual to see how. Looks like you fill it through the fill funnel but have to have the vent plug out which isn't accessible with the body on. You're very lucky the drive problem was just the belt jumping off.

[img]

post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 18, 9:28 AM
Gold Member
Gene

Yup, a body off affair. Not such a big deal. ALWAYS CHECK THE FILL BEFORE PULLING THE DRAIN>

( never got the fill funnel off, filled it thru the vent. )

Pulls BIGGER wheelies now.

Gene
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 19, 9:50 AM
Gold Member
Gene

Hey Von, guess what blew up this last weekend, I mean along with my kids car when he was driving to NJ.... that Eaton transmission!

Supposed to be getting an engine bay ready for a new mill, and I got "brush fires" erupting all around me!

Gene
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 19, 10:23 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Hey Von, guess what blew up this last weekend, I mean along with my kids car when he was driving to NJ.... that Eaton transmission!

Supposed to be getting an engine bay ready for a new mill, and I got "brush fires" erupting all around me!
Have you guys tried to retrofit a Tremec in there?

There must be a Youtube on it somewhere.

427L88 likes this.

Mike

My

AACA Senior Grand National
Good Guys Muscle Car of the Year Finalist

Eckler's Winternationals Platinum 1000 pts
2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional 1000 Point Award

NPD Choice Award All GM Oktoberfest
6 times Concours d'Elegance Best in Class

MCC Platinum & 2 times People's Choice Award & Carolina Chevelle Club Best in Show

2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional "Dean Call Award"
2015 OPGI Original Restored Award

MCACN Gold
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 19, 11:29 AM
Gold Member
Gene

I donnow Mike, but it was still making noise AFTER I shut the engine down, so I assume I really really aerated the oil and fragged the trans! It looks like I'll have to retrofit something in there. I do have a 67 date coded Muncie in storage. Dont need the overdirve for this one!

Gene
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 19, 11:43 AM
Senior Tech Team
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanski View Post
I've been on this forum since 2004. Several times I have posted what I believed to be interesting and real Chevelle related topics and was disappointed with how little response was generated. I think I might try posting Chevelle related stuff on a JD Garden Tractor forum and see how that goes.
you have post something about cams or carbs then you will be overwhelmed with responses
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 19, 12:46 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Don't need the overdrive for this one!
You might, if you got over an acre to mow.

Mike

My

AACA Senior Grand National
Good Guys Muscle Car of the Year Finalist

Eckler's Winternationals Platinum 1000 pts
2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional 1000 Point Award

NPD Choice Award All GM Oktoberfest
6 times Concours d'Elegance Best in Class

MCC Platinum & 2 times People's Choice Award & Carolina Chevelle Club Best in Show

2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional "Dean Call Award"
2015 OPGI Original Restored Award

MCACN Gold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in