Team Chevelle banner

Brake Suggestions Please

4K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  UMI Tech 
#1 ·
Hello All

I need advice once again for brakes. I know a lot of you will have great advice which I need and appreciate.

Its for my 1970 chevelle (I'm building) w/ls3 "wanting to get 500 hp & tq or close to it" coil overs & 19x10 rear 18x8.5 front.

So please share your thoughts & suggestion w/me..

#4 ·
I'm leaning towards using their brake parts that will allow me to run late model ZL1 Camaro calipers, made by Brembo. ZL1 Brembo calipers are pretty easy to find and reasonably priced. C6 Z06 calipers are kinda scarce and expensive. Just my opinion though, I could be wrong.

#5 · (Edited)
Depends on your budget. All of the high dollar brakes should work well. If on a small budget 98-02 f body brakes work exceptionally well and are easy to install on Chevelles. 12" rotors, dual piston aluminum caliper in front, single piston aluminum in rear and a parking brake that will actually hold the car in place. Upgrade to the Corvette front caliper using the same rotor and bracket as the f body for a higher quality caliper casting. If the rear brake assemblies can be found used it greatly reduces the cost.

#6 ·
Depends on your budget. All of the high dollar brakes should work well. If on a small budget 98-02 f body brakes work exceptionally well and are easy to install on Chevelles. 11" rotors, dual piston aluminum caliper in front, single piston aluminum in rear and a parking brake that will actually hold the car in place. Upgrade to the Corvette front caliper using the same rotor and bracket as the f body for a higher quality caliper casting. If the rear brake assemblies can be found used it greatly reduces the cost.
Ok cool thx:thumbsup:

#7 ·
After doing a little more research, I'm beginning to think the best bang for my buck is a C6 Z51 front brake set-up from Kore3. If I purchase the Z51 calipers and rotors locally to save on freight cost, then buy everything else from Tobin at Kore3, I think I can put together some pretty stout front brakes, for around $1K or less. Already have rear disc brakes so I probably will leave them alone, for now.

The big problem you run into when installing the C6 Z06 or Camaro Brembo brake set-ups, is finding a wheel that will clear them. That can get really expensive, if you're not careful.

#9 ·
I always point people to Tobin at Kore3. The simple fact that he listened to what I wanted to do with the car and didn't try to sell me the most expensive thing. I haven't put them on, but I went with the C6 Z51 package. But as Phillip said, the F-body upgrade is super cheap and is a very good option too. I also grabbed a hydraboost out of an Astro van.

#10 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.