In Need Of Good Grease... - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

View Poll Results: Which Grease Cartridge??
Royal Purple Ultra-Performance 0 0%
Mystik JT-6 4 33.33%
Red Line Synthetic 2 16.67%
Lucas Oil Red N' Tacky 6 50.00%
Champion Poly 7 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

2Likes
  • 1 Post By paul bell
  • 1 Post By Philip

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 17, 1:24 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage
In Need Of Good Grease...

I am going to be installing the new UMI front springs in my Chevelle, along with new Proforged lower ball joints, and my Bilstein shocks. I am needing to find a good grease to use in the ball joints. I have been using the Mobil 1 synthetic grease cartridges in my grease gun, but after only a short time, it starts to leak out as a red liquid. If it is doing that in my grease gun, what is it doing in my ball joints and other components?? I did try the Green Grease in the past, but that stuff is messy and my front end would start creaking after a rain storm (without even driving it) while using that stuff.

I see that there are some available now that I did not see before, like the Lucas Oil Red N' Tacky, the Mystik JT-6 (normal, high temp, and lo temp), the Redline Synthetic, the Champion Poly 7, and the Royal Purple Ultra-Performance.

So, I need to find a good grease that won't do that. Let me know which grease you have had good luck with, that won't turn to a liquid mess in the grease gun. Thanks.

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 17, 7:21 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jimmy

Re: In Need Of Good Grease...

I have been using Bel-Ray Waterproof Grease for decades. I started using it on my dirt bikes, ATV's and Jet-Ski's. And eventually anything that had a grease-able bearing. It works great on the wheel bearing on my Jet-Ski Trailer that gets dunked in the water every weekend. Been using on the Chevelle wheel bearing for about 10 years now. Never thins or leaks out. You can get it at just about any Motorcycle shop, Or here's some links to Amazon. It is available in a 16oz Tub or a 14oz Cartridge.

Bel-Ray Waterproof Grease | Bel-Ray Company, Inc

Amazon.com: 99540:
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 17, 7:39 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Carquest brand (Kendall) or whatever's on sale for decades..

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 17, 9:19 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

UMI has a clear synthetic grease. Summit racing sells it. It wont leak out.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 17, 12:19 PM
Senior Tech Team

I like the Red & Tacky. I think it has the same adhesion stuff in it that climbing gear oil has. I've been using it forever and I've never noticed it leaking out as a liquid. I'll keep using it!
70CHEVELLE396 likes this.

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 17, 1:53 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
David

I do think the MOST important part is you grease and inspect on a regular schedule.

David
ACES#7432 TC#3213
Get In, Sit Down, Shut Up, Hold On

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 17, 2:02 PM
Senior Tech Team

The most important thing for a general purpose wheel bearing / chassis lube is that it is marked NLGI #2 LB-GC. I use Mystik JT-6 Hi-temp.

https://www.nlgi.org/certifications/product/

If it doesn't carry the NLGI "LB" marking, you do not want it in critical suspension components like Ball joints and tie rods (urethane bushings are a different story). Likewise, wheel bearing grease should have the "GC" marking.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 17, 9:19 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by novadude View Post
The most important thing for a general purpose wheel bearing / chassis lube is that it is marked NLGI #2 LB-GC
Interesting to know and thanks for posting this info!

I happy to report that the Red & Tacky also meets this specification.

I love it when a product I've been using for years because I felt it "looked good" actually is good.

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 17, 12:27 AM
Administrator

Garage

Our NAPA store is in a rural area and most of our accounts are in farming and ranching. Mystic JT-6 is their number one choice to protect the equipment that spends all of its life in dirt, dust and mud. I use it for all our vehicles.
paul bell likes this.

Team Chevelle Gold Founding Member #42

L29 454, 4L80E, 12 bolt posi 3.31, GM 4 wheel disc brakes
63 Nova wagon

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 17, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

I do lube the parts regularly. I went ahead and bought some of the Lucas Oil Red N' Tacky. We'll see how it does.

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1035 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.