Energy Suspension Thrust Washers.. - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 05, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
~Scott~

Send a message via AIM to ssal396
Energy Suspension Thrust Washers..

Does anyone know the proper locations & the proper part numbers for the thrust washers on a 69 Velle with a 12 bolt posi, & boxed lowers?? I read the instructions 3 times & cant seem to figure it out ..

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Scott

Scott Salerno - 1969 SS 396
TC # 2510
ACES # 6919
How cool is it that my initials are all over my car...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 05, 1:42 PM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage
Re: Energy Suspension Thrust Washers..

What is the part number of the bushing set you purchased?

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rich Cummings
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 05, 1:50 PM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

I'm going to guess you have the set 3-3132. If that's the case and you have boxed lower arms, you will install thrust washer #3087 on both ends of the lower arms and you will also use #3087 on the frame side of the upper arms. On the axle side of the upper arms you will use #3089. The driver's side thrust washer on the axle housing end will need to be trimmed as they show in the diagram.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 05, 2:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
~Scott~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-L79
What is the part number of the bushing set you purchased?
Thats the problem, I must have accidentally threw away the box that the kit came in.. I saved all the instructions, but they don't have the part number for the kit on them..

Thanks for the reply,
Scott

TC # 2510
ACES # 6919

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 05, 2:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
~Scott~

According to Summits website, it calls for a 3-3132.. The thing that still doesn't make sence is that the instructions say that if you have boxed lowers, to substitute #3087 with 3088, the 3088's don't seem to fit AT ALL.. I'm really thinking od 86'ing all of the darned things ..

I'm just not getting it ..

Scott

TC # 2510
ACES # 6919

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 05, 4:37 PM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssal396
According to Summits website, it calls for a 3-3132.. The thing that still doesn't make sence is that the instructions say that if you have boxed lowers, to substitute #3087 with 3088, the 3088's don't seem to fit AT ALL.. I'm really thinking od 86'ing all of the darned things ..

I'm just not getting it ..

Scott
Read the instructions again, it says to use #3088 with open arms or if you have a 64-67 A-body. To quote the instructions, "Vehicles with boxed lower control arms use pt #3087 instead of pt #3088."

You have a '69 with boxed arms so #3087s are the ones to use. Running without the thrust washers would be a bad idea.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 05, 5:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
~Scott~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-L79
Read the instructions again, it says to use #3088 with open arms or if you have a 64-67 A-body. To quote the instructions, "Vehicles with boxed lower control arms use pt #3087 instead of pt #3088."

You have a '69 with boxed arms so #3087s are the ones to use. Running without the thrust washers would be a bad idea.
Hi Rich, thanks so much for your help.. That was my bad, I typed it wrong, the 3087 thrust washers don't even come close to fitting in there.. The 3088's would go in though..

What would be wrong with not using them?? Didn't these kits come without thrust washers not too long ago I don't ever remember seeing them before..

Scott

TC # 2510
ACES # 6919

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 05, 6:13 PM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

I installed a set 4-5 years ago and they have thrust washers. I installed another set this winter on my current project and that kit too had thrust washers.

My cars are '65s and by following their instructions the correct thrust washers were used and fit fine. I don't know how different the 68-72 set up is but I'd think it is quite similar.

When you say they don't fit at all, do you mean they are too thick (don't fit between the arm and the bracket) or aren't big enough around (don't fit over the end of the bushing that protrudes from the arm)? If I remember correctly, the only dimensional difference in the two is their thickness. The ones I used don't fit snug on the end of the bushing shell but are wedged tight between the control arm and the mounting bracket.

Without thrust washers at all, the side loads don't have much surface area to press on on the small end of the bushing. They are intended to fit very snuggly into the mounting bracket on the frame. Greasing them up properly with the grease supplied with the kit helps get them in there and helps the bushings work properly.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 05, 6:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
~Scott~

the 3087 is 5/8" thick,but the gap to be filled is only about 1/4"..Like you said it really doesn't fit tight to the bushing, but more importantly, it will not fit between the bushing & the control arm bracket..

TC # 2510
ACES # 6919

Last edited by ssal396; Apr 7th, 05 at 6:59 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 10, 12:44 AM
Whatley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssal396 View Post
Thats the problem, I must have accidentally threw away the box that the kit came in..
Thanks for the reply,
Scott
There was a time, I used to throw away these boxes and I'd find myself nearly popping my eyes out trying to Google. These days before throwing, I note down whatever info is written on the box and take some shots too for back up
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 10, 2:46 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

1/4 gap, 5/8 washer. sounds like time to get on the phone to the vendor.

is this on the frame end or the axle end?

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 10, 4:47 PM
Team Member
George

I couldn't get mine to fit either.....maybe I'll try again this winter, been driving the car without them. Hope that's not a bad thing.

'71 Malibu
3580 #, Carbed 6.0l LS swap in process
T-350, PTC 9" converter, 12 bolt, spool, 3.90 gears, MT ET R 275/60/15

355 [email protected]
125 [email protected]
383 Mud Motor- [email protected]
100 shot [email protected]
'72 Greenbrier Wagon: 454, 700R4, 12 bolt with 3.73
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 3273 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.